SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my saab 900s convertibles roof has stopped working as the car thinks the boot is open when this is not the case...can anyone help. skurrys saab tried to fix it but after a £500.00 bill my money run out and all they could say was that there was an earth fault. also my boot release button on the door has stopped working. please can anyone help. is there a way of bypassing the boot sensor.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
does the door switch open the boot when the ign' is turned on? cus the switch only works with the ign' on if the roof is down, may be your roof need to be recalibrated, also does the boot light work?

ps welcome to saab central

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not even when the ignition is on they tried re calibrating the boot as well but said there was an earth fault

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
many thanks for coming back to me so quick.

how much does recalibrating the roof cost because they were ment to off done that when i took it to skurrys

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
In the shop manual, or even Haynes, the locations are given; a man should be able to access all the earths (ground connections) and service them..

Some of them could be subject to moisture and corrosion.. I do not know...I have seen Volkswagen do a nifty paint application on one !! But I hope that Saab is smarter than that...
One could bypass a sensor in order to test it....

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
triunsar said:
how much does recalibrating the roof cost because they were ment to off done that when i took it to skurrys
I cannot comprehend this question at all, particularly the latter part..
As far as the sensor goes, I'd say it must function or the convertible top will not operate properly..
Saab must use some kind of logic control...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm having problems with my convertible too. I have a 96 900s Conv. and when i press the switch, the backwindow goes up like it's suppose to all the way and then when it's time for the back lid to open up, it opens up about an inch and then it starts to make a horrific noice. It sounds like a creeck and while it's creecking it stalls and kind of shakes. I try to lower it again and then try raising it again. It raises but very loudly as if it's going to break. Everything else works fine. Does anyone know? I'm a new saaber and I love it but I hate what's happening to it right now.

Thanks!
TWINN

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
Earthworm: You are correct, there is an electronic control module or top control module (part. no. 4610812) that controls the operation of the top. It is about $550.00 USD, new. But it is a relatively low failure part as compared to the electromechanical sensors. I would check them out as being most likely at fault, prior to suspecting the top ECM.

Twinn: It sounds like you have tonneau top motor syndrome, subject of TSB 811-1941, September 1998. Do not operate the top until the alignment has been checked and corrected or you may wreck an otherwise salvageable motor/gear assembly. Often, if you catch it in time, you can spare the expense of a new or rebuilt assembly and just pop in the bracket reinforcement kit. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Saaboheme!

I went to a saab shop and without even looking at my car he said it was going to cost 550 total. He says that the reason that happends is because Saab makes a sort-of rod/hindge that overtime tends to bend. He said that he could re-build it and put in a new and better Rod to support the Cover better. What do you think? Again, he didn't look at the car he just flat out schooled me.

Thanks,
TWINN

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
$550.00 seems stiff for simply retrofitting the new parts. Primarily, if you read over the TSB, the first step is to check the existing gears of the tonneau motor to determine if it is still useable. If it checks out ok, then all that needs to be done is realignment and installation of the upgraded parts. I think he is assuming that the gears need repaired (you mention rebuilding in your post). That is probably a reasonable assumption based on your description of what is currently happening. SO, assuming all that is true, and assuming around $75.00/hr. for the labor, $550.00 sounds like it is in the ballpark. I believe you can get one already rebuilt, if it turns out you need one, and then install the upgraded reinforced parts with the rebuild. If you are paying for installation (along with the parts), it may come out about the same. But first and foremost, you should be certain that you have indeed toasted the existing one. I think there is a place in Fla. that rebuilds them. I shall search.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts