SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 1988 saab 900 turbo convertible and the car drives smooth and sounds good. the owner had rigged the cooling fan with a switch and it no longer works, you can take the wire and connect it to the battery, but it drove for a 500ft before shutting off. wouldn't do that ever again.. i drove the car about 15 miles and it didnt over heat. it drove fine. The turbo gauge doesnt seem to work, or the turbo may not work. please help if you can. I took a few pics of some other problems that need attention..

It seems some type of hose would go to this connector on the pipe. (But What??)

Shot at 2012-06-08

have no idea what this wire goes to, It has 2 white wires and a black wrapping around it. The owner looked clueless when i asked..

Shot at 2012-06-08

both of these have been snapped and need the small hoses replaced. what do they do, What are they for? (Red cap and Blue cap)

Shot at 2012-06-08

Thanks for any help you guys can give. I am new to the Saab world, but I love this car so much already and I want to get it running right. I just want to see if i can fix minor things myself before taking it the mechanic to give my months paycheck away.....

·
Registered
689 Posts
THe fan is normally controlled by the thermotatic switch in the radiator, but is supplied power via a relay and a fuse.

The first pic is of the bleed valve - no hose is fitted to it it's just let the air out when you need to bleed the cooling system.

No idea about the 2nd pic

The switches in the third pic are for the aircon and the APC AFAIK.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
On the fan, after checking the fuse, the first check you should try is to jump across the 2-plug connecter (wires plugged in) on the thermostatic switch. You'll find that at the top left (looking from the back of the car to the front) corner of the radiator. It'll look like a big brass nut with a couple wires plugged into the back of it. That should make the fan run. If it doesn't then replacing that should get it to run at temperature. If it does, then check the relay.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the responses.. okay.. the fan to the radiator is not connected to anything, that only goes for the one that was replaced. there is one that is connected to power and it seems fine, but i havent tested it to see if it runs. I would assume it would turn when the car is running, but i haven't witnessed anything yet. The other fan, replacement, was "RIGGED" by some jackass and had to be turned on by a switch in the car. that failed and then he tried to take the 2 blue wires and hook it the battery which turned the fan on, but he said the entire car shut off on him after driving it like that for 2 minutes... I know this is confusing, but i've been scratcing my head trying to figure this thing out. its the weekend and all shops are closed until monday. Would it hurt to drive just around my area, i live on a island near the beach so there isnt any crazy traffic to get through. or would it pose a threat and worsen the problem at hand???

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
OK well the left hand side radiator is your main cooling radiator and it's controlled by the thermostatic switch...comes on and turns off as needed and as controlled by coolant temps. The right side fan is for your A/C and only comes on if 1) you have the a/c on and 2) if your ac has enough freon in it to produce ac. If you have the right side fan hooked to continual battery power and the left side coming on as well I could see where a weak charging system would not put up with that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts