SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone !
I am new here so don't hurt me !
Basically what can you tell me about this car ?http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=31045723

It is advertised on a type of e-bay ! I have spoken to the owner and he has said I can have her for $11,800 NZ.
I have owned 96's and a couple of 99's but never a Turbo or even a 900, although my Dad who is still in the UK has had two 900 classics.
If your in the UK the current exchange rate is 2.6 $ to the pound which works out to be approx 4,500 sterling.
What do all you good people think, is it a good deal ?
It is NZ new and not a Jap import and the owner has a full Saab service history.
I have asked my Dad what he thinks and he has said there is a question about spare parts since GM took over, also that the turbo on Aero is dodgy !
But he is no mechanic !

I would value a hoest responce.

Ian

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
That's a hell of a lot of money for it. Granted, I don't know New Zealand prices, but we did have someone from those parts who was looking at one for much less - link here, which also has a link to the buyers guide in it. However, if it is really nice, and adding about £1.5k to the UK price, then maybe it's OK. Parts aren't that hard to get - lots of online suppliers, and if you search the members list by location you might find other people in your area to ask who they use. Nothing dodgy about the turbos on Aero cars - it is the standard Mitsubishi TE-05 and they are very reliable. Why does the car call itself high pressure turbo? Has it been modified? Mine is a high pressure turbo because it runs 1.2 bar - that one should be 0.75 bar if it is still stock. Check the APC hasn't been tweaked or an MBC added. If it has it shouldn't be a problem, but you need to know if you are not getting a stock car.

Welcome to Saab Central :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jezzadee,

Thanks for that, have a read of the e-mail he has sent me and see what you think ?
I offered him $7,500 !

Hi there
Not insulted by your offer at all – quite realistic. The Aero is a good one and we’ve spent the money to keep it that way. The market is flooded with import Saab 900s that are ready for thousands to be spent, and they can be a bit of a money pit if left in poor condition. A good late classic is also a much better car than the 1994 – 1998 900s.

The previous owner replaced the gearbox at 100,000kms – her nephew didn’t understand the gearbox lock. We’ve done aircon, O2 sensor, APC valve, turbo boost valve, shocks, injector tuning, distributor, cruise control, leather reconditioned, all linings are new, and regularly spend on new mats, wiper blades, CV boots steering boots etc – all parts are Saab genuine. I’m spending about $1000 on touch-ups, so I would imagine this car will be trouble free for at least another 2 years with sensible use.

We’ve bought a 4WD – I do a lot of back country photography. We were going to sell both Saabs we have and buy a new Aero 9-3 convertible, but I can’t talk Mummy into a new convertible, so with my sons two cars and a daughter coming up for one we have a car yard at home. If you’re keen, I can hold this car for you if you need time to find a bit more. We’re in no hurry but need to keep vehicles under cover. I don’t want to store the Aero – it needs to be used. My bottom line is $11,800 without the WASAAB but new registration.

Hey, sell the lounge suite and watch TV from the Aero...

Cheers

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
That looks like a nice car. There were really only two types of turbo on the c900. Garrett or Mitsubishi. The one your looking at will probably be a Mitsubishi turbo as these were fitted to the later cars. If the car is in a reasonable condition then there's a good chance the turbo is ok as well. There's not much you can do to check a turbo when your buying a car but once you have the car then there's loads you can do to check it's condition. I suppose you might be ok asking the seller if he could remove the pipe from the compressor side - then you could check for oil in the intake tube and play in the shaft. If both conditions are true then the turbo won't last forever and will need replacing at some point. I would say the turbo isn't any more important or failure prone than the gearbox or engine. So don't concentrate too much on only the turbo.

Other than what you would normally check when buying a car:

· Check the red paint has not been colour polished (will only last you 12 months if it has)

· Make sure the engine oil has been changed every 6000 miles or thereabouts

· Check the bottoms of the doors, sides of the bonnet (near the windscreen) petrol filler cap and boot hinges for rust

· Head gaskets do go - so check for oil in the water, water in the oil, steam out of the tailpipe, ect...

· Check cruise control and air conditioning both work as these systems are failure prone and tricky to fix.

· Make sure it does not jump out of reverse gear

· Check the electric windows both work and move up and down freely as the mechanisms can get tight and slow

· Make sure the car does not heat up too much. It's hard to say where the temperature gauge should settle because they differed between cars but use common sense and watch out for overheating.

· Engine should be smooth and quiet once it's warmed up.

· If there is anything you think is unusual you can just post on here and someone will be able to help.

Good luck - looks like a nice car.

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
I think your looking at top money there.

There is a large assortment in the £2 ~ £4k bracket which are ok. If you look around it is possible to find one where the seller does not really know how much to ask for and you'll get it for cheap - but it's quite a rare situation. 97,000 miles is good mileage for a 92' car. It could be on 156,000 if it had done average mileage all it's life. My opinion on this is that no car is too expensive if everything is in perfect condition - but you nearly never find a car that has no problems so if it's average then you should pay average money for it. If it's a bit better than average the it wouldn't be a problem to give a bit more.

Watch out for that red paint though - cutting polish will damage it and it will be orange within 12 months.

·
Registered
325 Posts
It is indeed very red. If it's been re-sprayed, fine, but check it out. As they say, the colour won't last long if it's been given a liberal t-cut.

Also, it's an S spec car, but with a walnut dash. Should that be there? I though wood (if you like that kind of thing) only came on the SE? Mind you, it could have been added later by someone who loves wood effect trim!

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
I think wood effect was an option at any trim level.

I also think wool seat inserts and electric seats were also optional - so I would say that car has been spec'ed up. The clear indicator lenses are unlikely to be stock though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kiwi Ian said:
What would be the top price paid for this type of Saab in the UK ?
So what would you pay ?
Being over here in NZ I have not got a clue, all I tend do do is work things back to English prices !
The bloke seems to have looked after it, however I have not seen it. The car is in Auckland and we are in Christchurch so it would mean a trip up there by plane.
The roads over here do not get salted and there are a number of clasics on the road, its great being "into" classic cars !

Its up for $14,000 = 5380 UK, I offered $7,500 = 2880 UK, and he has come back with $11,800 = 4530 UK !

What do you think it is worth ?

Just need some help !

I would be using it mainly on a weekend for family trips. She would be stored in the garage and polished and polished and polished !

Ian:D

·
Registered
325 Posts
Well, I have never seen a c900t go for more than £3000, unless it's a special edition (Ruby, Carlson or the like). Convertibles go for more - why, I don't know, becuase they bend and flex like nothing else on the road. I suppose because it's imported, and shouldn't have any rust on it, you might go to £3500, but I think that should be the absolut maximum.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
It does look nice, sounds like it's been well looked after, and it has got a new gearbox, which is A Good Thing. It is a 13-year-old car, however, and things will go wrong on it, so don't bankrupt yourself buying it and not have anything left if the headgasket goes the next day (happened to me, but I hadn't picked it up yet so the garage paid to fix it :cheesy: ). It's hard for us to judge what is good value for you - I think there are Canadians on here who pay double what the same car would cost just a few miles over the border in the US. At the end of the day, pay what you are happy paying. If it is too high for you, don't be afraid to walk away - there are other cars out there.

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
Jezzadee said:
I think there are Canadians on here who pay double what the same car would cost just a few miles over the border in the US.
That's because of our monopoly money! Certainly these cars will command different prices in different markets due to certain economics.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am also in New Zealand and have just bought a 1992 900s of the trademe web site - I paid NZ$4000 - its NZ new and has good maintenance history. The one you are considering is a rare model in NZ - but I agree with the previous post that its an old car and will cost you over time. My philosophy is buy cheap thrash it to death over two years, throw it away and buy another one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I daren't ask what the 'Jetman method' is , but will be kind to my new (old) Saab. Having just sold a 1998 A6 Audi that has cost me thousands in maintenance I decided to buy an old Saab purely because they look better than a Toyota. Early Saabs are known in NZ as the architects car. I'll let you know what I think of it after the first 1000k's of motoring.

·
Registered
325 Posts
You will find it... not the same as the Audi. Audi (which is in fact German for 'Ha Ha You Fool! I'm Going To Cost You Thousands Of Pounds!), like all the other Greman lux. brands don't make good cars anymore. Anyone ever driven a original Quatro Turbo? Nothing like it... you get the feeling that it actually wants to kill you.

Saab - not the same.

Well, old Saab Saabs anyway, not GM cars.;)

And just look at this forum. Did you find a more freindly bunch of folks driving Audis?:cheesy:

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
Jezzadee said:
I believe this is known as "the Jetman method". :D

Welcome to Saab Central :cool:
Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!

Hey, I've just bought a very decent 8VT and I plan on using <gasp> new parts, <gasp> new tires and <gasp> fixing everything before it fails and keeping it forever. Just had to find the right car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts