1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a saab 9000 cse 1997 2.0 turbo intercooler 185hp
and here is my problem:
the voltage controler on the alternator broke down,and alternator was giving
voltage 25v instead 12v,but the car receved only 16v,because accumulator,was takeing the rest,and when I pushed the gas padle both the ACC(automatic climate control) and that thing below the speedometer that gives info about fuel consumption and gives codes of errors lose power and turned off,but when my father mistakenly take the wires of the accumulator to measure the true voltage given by the alternator,all that exes voltage went on car electronics,the ignition cassette started to smoke,all the lights on dashboard turned on,and I turned off the car,when I tried to start it again,the car wouldn't start,I thought that ECU was gone,but when I replaced the ignition cassette the car started,but the ACC,thing below the speedometer,scales for temperature,and fuel,and the trunk lock,didn't work....
so if anyone knows what controls those things,i mean if there is some special control unit for them,PLEASE HELP!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Oh dear... :nono;

Don't ever disconnect the battery with the car running, it will cause high voltage spikes that for sure will kill electronics in a car, happens even with a good regulator. But you already found that out :cheesy:

First thing to check is for blown fuses, if those are ok than for sure you fried some of the electronics.

It's a miracle the trionic ECU survived, at least part of it. Possible because it has a built-in voltage regulator that protected it. That the car starts does not necessarily mean all is fine with it, you could have blown some of the mosfets controlling APC, IAC and so on but that's something you'll find out later.

There are a lot of electronic control boxes besides the ECU in a 9000, a (not complete) overview that might help you on your way:

- EDU is the thing below your speedo, can be replaced separately if you remove the dash top and take out the instrument cluster. It controls some of the gauges on the dash and works together with the ECC
- speedometer and rev counter have their own built-in electronics
- the thingie that contains the clock and info button: works together with the EDU for tripcomputer functions, fuel consumption etc etc. Also monitors engine temperature and airco status and controls the radiator fans
- If you have ACC (automatic climate control), the ACC unit in the dash. Airco, interior fan, ventilation systems.
- Central locking control box, above the pedals. Does just what it says, central locking of doors and fuel door. Trunk is not part of it, that's controlled directly by the door switch so probably a blown fuse here?
- SRS unit, bolted on the floor under the dashboard against the bulkhead.
- ABS unit, mounted next to the trionic ECU.
- lots of small electronic relais for things such as automatic window control, indictators, windscreen wiper interval, headlight control, interior fan motor speed etc etc.

All of those should be verified and replaced if necessary.

In addition, disconnecting the battery with a running engine has with a 99% certainty blown the rectifiers in your alternator. Your regulator was shot anyway, but even if it wasn't it will be now. You need a complete alternator overhaul. Battery is likely to be scrap as well if the high voltage condition lasted for more that a couple of minutes.

Better start looking for a donor car? Good thing parts for a 9000 can be obtained relatively cheap, a modern car would be a complete write-off after such an event.

Good luck...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the ECU does work,completely,I drove the car,and it works fine to be quite honest the car is very quiet on idle,quieter than before,as for the acceleration,works like before,very very fast:D
I have a donor car,and I replaced the alternator,it know works fine,the only things that don't work are that I listed before,ACC EDU scales for temp and fuel,and the trunk lock,but speedometer,rev counter,that thingie that contains clock has it's own display,and it works fine,the windshield wipers and headlight wipers to,as for the fuses only EDU fuse blow out,I replaced that but still EDU doesn't work:cry:,I replaced ACC and it to doesn't work,I don't know what to replace now,and I found out recently that radiator fan doesn't,works,so I don't drive car until everything is fixed,can you tell me in what controls him(radiator fan)??? and what is ECC????

·
Registered
253 Posts
ECC is the tripcomputer that also contains the clock display and believe it or not, it's this unit that controls the cooling fans.

However it receives it's engine temperature information from the EDU so could very well be that the shot EDU is causing the problem.
Your ACC problem could also be related to the faulty EDU, as the ACC needs the engine temp as well as the outside temperature signal that is also going through the EDU.

So replace the EDU first I suggest, unfortunately quite some work involved as you have to lift the top of the dashboard to gain access to the instrument cluster. Also be aware there are different versions of EDU and ECC, not all model years are exchangeable. If your donor car is 1995 or newer you should be ok.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ECC controls the cooling fans???????very very strange,what you say sounds logical,you seem to know how things work on saab;ol;
I also know that EDU and ACC are connected,because they would lose power at the same time when i pushed the gas pedal,but I thought that they are controlled by a separate unit,and that is because I was convinced that EDU was only a display that receives info from that separate unit...
My donor car is a saab 9000 cse 2.3t but without engine,interior is complete,but it has automatic transmission,but my is manual transmission,is EDU same on both cars???

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Very interesting reading - I can't help at all, but it is great that 90000006 knows what goes on here. Seems like he has given your great guidance.

Good luck.

/R

·
Registered
253 Posts
Did some lookup in the manuals just to be sure, and it seems I was wrong ;oops: It's the EDU that controls the radiator fans, not the clock thingie. Anyway, does not make much of a difference for you.

The bad news: EDU's for manual and automatics are not the same. The auto version has an indicator for the gear selected whereas the manual version has a fuel consumption bar in that place of the display.
Don't know if a manual one works in an automatic or the other way round, as far as I can judge from the schematics there are no conflicts in the wiring so you could give it a try.

The EDU is actually playing quite a central role in a 9000's electronics. The speed sensor in the gearbox, outside temperature sensor (in the grill), engine temperature sensor (the one in the head above the gearbox), coolant level sensor, fuel sensor en empty tank sensor, ACC unit, ECC/trip computer, fuel and temp gauge, check engine/radiator lights, EDU display itself, radiator fans, rheostat that controls dash illumination, airco pump and airco pressure switches are all connected to it ;)

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
But be glad you have an earlier Saab, and not a later model car!!

A local agent told me about the latest Holden's having around 300 computers all inter connected. Nightmarish stuff when it goes wrong!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OMG I can't believe that EDU controls that much things:eek::eek:
I have looked for saabs on scrapyards here and I found one that is 98 year,everything is same,dashboard is same as mine it has all scales like mine(my donor car doesn't have APC gauge),but it doesn't have intercooler so it has 150hp,I think his EDU will work fine on mine saab,anyway THANKS A LOT,you can't imagine how much you helped me,I'll inform you here what I have done with this problem.THANKS AGAIN!!!!!tomorrow of to the scrapyard:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Just checking, your donor car does not have a boost gauge, then you say but it doesn't have an intercooler. Did you mean that. If your donor car does have an intercooler, and no guage, it is probably an LPT, which AFAIK means it will be 170hp.

/R

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@rawill
I bought my donor car without engine,but he had 2.3t,I bought it for 200e with full interior:D:D,
but the dashboard doesn't have APC gauge,and it had automatic transmission.....
the car that I found on scrapyard,is saab 9000 cs 2.0 turbo but without intercooler,I suppose it has 150 but I'm not sure....
the owner was an idiot he drove that car,after,I don't know how it's called the thing between the head of engine,and engine block,we call it 'dihtung' it's probably a german word,anyway it didn't do the job,and coolant leaked in to engine and mixed with oil,and he drove it until car overheated and stopped:confused::confused:
now he sells parts from him,good for me but bad for him....

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Thanks - now I understand what you meant.

But I am surprised that the 2.0 at the scrappy is a turbo but has no intecooler I guess someone will explain this.

I think the part you are referring to we the "headgasket".

/R

1 - 13 of 13 Posts