SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there new to the site and saabs i have a 9-3 se (2000) can any one tell me how i find out if it is the 185hp or the 205? and what are the most cost effective mods to get most hp. cheers for any help.

·
Banned
1,047 Posts
all 9-3 se in 2000 are the 205hp. I would get a downpipe since you already have a croosflow intercooler. then either a ecu tune of u can go the cheap route by getting a MBC+A. ECU=$700 for a t7 tune and a MBC+A=under $50. Once cheap and gives you a pretty nice kick, but the other is the right way to get your car to perform better.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
black9-3raven said:
hi there new to the site and saabs i have a 9-3 se (2000) can any one tell me how i find out if it is the 185hp or the 205? and what are the most cost effective mods to get most hp. cheers for any help.
Look in your owners manual, in the back there is a diagram that explains every digit in your VIN number, It will tell you whether or not you have the HOT (High Output Turbo) version which outputs 205hp, or if you have the regular 185hp variant. One fast way of figuring it out though is by simply looking at the intercooler in the front of the car, if you have on with two separate black end tanks with a core that runs across the width of the engine bay, as opposed to one with one black end tank the is quite small. The bigger one means you have a HOT.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
WaSaabiPSI said:
all 9-3 se in 2000 are the 205hp. I would get a downpipe since you already have a croosflow intercooler. then either a ecu tune of u can go the cheap route by getting a MBC+A. ECU=$700 for a t7 tune and a MBC+A=under $50. Once cheap and gives you a pretty nice kick, but the other is the right way to get your car to perform better.
The down pipe is good, but he has T7, so the MBC is out of the question, what you can do instead is get an SMBC which does the same thing, just not as good.

·
Banned
1,047 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
The down pipe is good, but he has T7, so the MBC is out of the question, what you can do instead is get an SMBC which does the same thing, just not as good.
A MBC+A is the same thing as a SMBC, but your right you cant use MBC without an anticipater.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
WaSaabiPSI said:
A MBC+A is the same thing as a SMBC, but your right you cant use MBC without an anticipater.
I'm not 100% sure you're right about that, if you look at the site the only thing listed for T7s is the SMBC, and the MBC+A is listed as for T5s.

Also, I've spoken to Jeff a few times over the phone and he made it seem very clear that the SMBC is the only way to improve boost on a T7.

The only way to up boost in a T7 system is by installing the boost controller in Series with the BPR so that the engine doesn't really notice it (unless you push it too far of course).

BlackRaven, call Jeff (the owner of Samrt Perfromance) and ask him exactly what you can and can not use. Better safe....... you know how it goes. ;)

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Jeff is the owner of the small business smartperformance.net he is also a member of this site, his screen name is spatl. Check out his site and maybe pm him here for extra info.

Good luck.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
Also, I've spoken to Jeff a few times over the phone and he made it seem very clear that the SMBC is the only way to improve boost on a T7.
Really.........the only way :confused:

·
Banned
1,047 Posts
I may be wrong, I have a t5 so sorry if I gave bad info. Chris 9-5, yea its the only way, unless you want to hassle with modding your car the right way, who would want to do that....:roll:?:lol:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
WaSaabiPSI said:
Chris 9-5, yea its the only way, unless you want to hassle with modding your car the right way, who would want to do that....:roll:?:lol:
Ah ok, the "only" way - or the "right" way :p

Love it :cheesy:

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
Really.........the only way :confused:
No, to clarify its the only method of manipulating boost.

A new tune, better intake, high flow exhaust and the likes will imporve boost.

Sorry if I wasn't very clear, I just didn't think anybody would challenge it. My bad.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
WaSaabiPSI said:
I may be wrong, I have a t5 so sorry if I gave bad info. Chris 9-5, yea its the only way, unless you want to hassle with modding your car the right way, who would want to do that....:roll:?:lol:
No biggie, don't take my word for it though, research it and find out if I'm right or not yourself.

A manual boost contorller is a perfectly respectable mod, but I'll agree that it is a very low end one. That doesn't make it any more or less right, as you said earlier, you do own one........

·
Banned
1,047 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
No biggie, don't take my word for it though, research it and find out if I'm right or not yourself.

A manual boost contorller is a perfectly respectable mod, but I'll agree that it is a very low end one. That doesn't make it any more or less right, as you said earlier, you do own one........
I actually dont own a MBC, I used to have it on my car before I got my car tuned. I wasn't tryin to knock you down at all man, so dont take it like that. I was just having a little fun:) . MBC, SMBC's all that is fine, but its still tricking your car, no different than a resistor on an intake temp sensor.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
WaSaabiPSI said:
I actually dont own a MBC, I used to have it on my car before I got my car tuned. I wasn't tryin to knock you down at all man, so dont take it like that. I was just having a little fun:) . MBC, SMBC's all that is fine, but its still tricking your car, no different than a resistor on an intake temp sensor.
Ok, i get ya, I was really more distruaght about Chris 9-5, but no worries. And you are right, they do trick the car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts