SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Saab 9-5 with V6. Very loud clacking from rt side/top of engine. Seems to be coming from timing belt area. Happened close to home fortunately. Any ideas??

Is it possible to attach a video/sound clip to the posting?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Have you taken a good look at your serpentine/accessory belt to make sure it's not frayed and hitting things while it's moving?

·
Registered
12 Posts
you could record it and upload that recording to a page like your google drive with permission for anyone to access it and then come back here and post the link for us to check.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just now getting back to this. We had a slew of tornadoes touch down here in the Dayton area and have been quite busy. No I have not checked belt yet. However, just noticed there is a 2 inch piece of the timing chain cover missing. Will try to get some pics and video loaded.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Just now getting back to this. We had a slew of tornadoes touch down here in the Dayton area and have been quite busy. No I have not checked belt yet. However, just noticed there is a 2 inch piece of the timing chain cover missing. Will try to get some pics and video loaded.
I believe the V6 9-5's use a timing belt and not a chain. It could be your timing belt falling apart. I hope it's something simple and quick though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got to the serp belt and it looked fine. Removed it and started car....still get that loud metallic clacking noise from what appears to be the right front above power steering pump. Sound like a collapsed lifter type of noise. Is this a common occurrence with the 3.0 engine? Still trying to add a sound clip but not having any luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts