SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all i bought a saab 9-3 ON 2005 had it not even a day the alternator failed on the way home.

tried to get the car home however the battery totally drained (tried jump start) then could not get the key to turn in the ignition just stayed in the lock position

anyway got it to PRIVATE saab GARAGE... CIM CHIP ERROR...STEERING LOCK ERROR....ALTERNATOR NEEDS REPLACING

PARTS NEEDED 1)CIM CHIP 2) STEERING LOCK CHIP 3)ALTERNATOR
4)TWO KEYS REPROGRAMED COST £1200

heard this is a very common fault why wont saab do a recall is this car worth keeping as it look great ...i had planned a hybrid turbo ecu upgrade from abbot racing but this breakdown has put me off...IT MY 1ST SAAB SO PLEASE HELP THANKS IN ADVANCE
(ALSO IF I PAY GARAGE CASH WILL SAVE ON VAT BUT LOSE THE WARRANTY ON THE WORK???SHOULD I SAVE MY ££££ OR PAY THE FULL 1200

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
what you have to remember is the alternator can fail on any car, the other issues are probably a result of you driving the car with out the alternator working, no car is with out its faults, my son has a 1.9 tid 150 and he has covered over 40.000 miles in it in just over 12 months, yes it has had a few problems in that time but most were due to ware and tare

now you have sorted out your car you will most likely have a reliable car again

enjoy your Saab :lol:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts