SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I woke up to the first real snowfall of the season (which also means the first snowfall with my Saab). Like a jackass, I decided my trusty windshield wipers could push off 5 inches of snow. They could not, and now only the drivers side wiper arm moves while the pass. side stays in the resting position.

Loose nut? If so, how do you get the "cap" off of the wiper arm to get to the nut?

Any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
I think the linking rod which connects the two wipers has popped off. Not sure exactly how this is connected, or how you gain access. Hopefully you get to it from underhood, because under dash is pretty tight.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Same thing happened to me last winter, your passenger-side wiper linkage ball-joint popped out of the socket. I was able to pop mine back in place and be operable for ten months, but eventually the entire linkage warped and had to be replaced. $400 at my indy mechanic, ouch. Watch for that ice and snow....

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
blazinskunk said:
This morning I woke up to the first real snowfall of the season (which also means the first snowfall with my Saab). Like a jackass, I decided my trusty windshield wipers could push off 5 inches of snow. They could not, and now only the drivers side wiper arm moves while the pass. side stays in the resting position.

Loose nut? If so, how do you get the "cap" off of the wiper arm to get to the nut?

Any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance.
may I ask where in NJ got five inches? I used to work out west in Warren/Sussex (Worthington State Forest Ranger)....saw a few flakes Sun. night in Bergen.

Our Wipers woulds easliy blow off five inches of Powder..but Wet:nono;

·
Registered
910 Posts
ctrlz said:
How do you get to the ball joint in question?
I followed the instructions to replace the cabin filter from Saba's website. It took some body contortion on my part but I was able to get pliers inside the cover and press the ball back into it's socket, not the cleanest repair I've ever done, but it got me through last winter!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
i've never messed with the wiper arms on this car, but many cars have plastic gears under the black plastic cap at the base of the arm. if a load is too big for the arm to handle, the plastic gear strips, preventing unnecessary damage to other parts. you may have to replace this gear unless the linkage just popped out as mentioned above.

·
Registered
368 Posts
My driver's side wiper just bit the DUST!!!

This is ridiculous. I've had a lot of cars. This is the ONLY one that could not survive a bit of ice and snow against the wiper. Hello, is this really a Swedish car?

Up here in Minnesota, it's often very cold. Wipers freeze all the time. I can't believe the wiper would damage itself over this. Other wipers simply get "stuck" but do not grind their gears to bits. That is not "normal wear and tear," so I believe my dealer will be getting a warranty visit.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
bwik said:

This is ridiculous. I've had a lot of cars. This is the ONLY one that could not survive a bit of ice and snow against the wiper. Hello, is this really a Swedish car?

Up here in Minnesota, it's often very cold. Wipers freeze all the time. I can't believe the wiper would damage itself over this. Other wipers simply get "stuck" but do not grind their gears to bits. That is not "normal wear and tear," so I believe my dealer will be getting a warranty visit.
This happened to me too. It is a warranty issue and it is quite common from what I can gather.

Basically the mechanism is held together by a couple of PTFE Ball joints and it is these that go. They look like they have popped off, but in fact they usually snap.

·
Registered
910 Posts
bwik said:

This is so true. After paying $400 to get mine fixed from last season I have been extremely careful. I always put my wipers in the up position before a storm and scrape my windshield completely before driving. We had a huge storm here in New England on Thursday evening, while I was driving home and my windshield iced up enough to kill my drivers side wiper arm, I had barely an inch of ice on the sides. Seriously, what kind of cheap crap are these things made of ?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I can't even hear the wiper motor... is this the same thing?

When the wipers don't work, can you still hear the motor? My wipers aren't working AND I can't pump and fluid on the windshield. When trying to squirt windshield fluid or operate the wipers I hear no sound at all.

I checked all the fuses in the main box under the hood -- is there something I'm missing?

-------------------------------

OKAY I was going to delete this out of embarassment ;oops: but I want to proudly say that after four years of owning our Saab 9-5, I've NEVER needed to check the fusebox by the driver's door... until now. It was the fuse. Whoopee!

I guess in my case, when the wipers were frozen, the fuse system actually worked.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts