SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings:

I have just devceloped a steady oil leak from underneath my inter-cooler! The oil is steady enough that I could become stranded! I have not been able to pull the inter-cooler out just yet. I hope it is just a line or something. The radiator and cooler look fairly new. Is this a common occurence, and or there possibly any seals that just need replacement? The car doesn't have any oil leaking into the chamber, and the exhaust emmissions are clean. I loked underneath the car this morning and I saw the leak, all of which is quite steady. The engine has just over 174,000 original miles (1991 900 16V Turbo/APC 2 DOOR COUPE A.T. W/2.0 MOTOR) I am the second owner, who brought it from the original owners, who obtained the car new, and they have maintained it well. Please any and or all suggestions are welcomed. I need to put it back on the road as soon as possible.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
It'll be the oil cooler. It's over on that side of the car. Check the lines going to and from it and the cooler itself.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
91900turbo said:
I have just devceloped a steady oil leak from underneath my inter-cooler! The oil is steady enough that I could become stranded!
There isn't an oil line anywhere around the intercooler, is there...?

(1991 900 16V Turbo/APC 2 DOOR COUPE A.T. W/2.0 MOTOR)
Ah. Does "A.T." mean autobox? There's a transmission cooler on autos, isn't there?

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
TooMany2cvs said:
There isn't an oil line anywhere around the intercooler, is there...?

Ah. Does "A.T." mean autobox? There's a transmission cooler on autos, isn't there?
Could be that as well. But not having an auto I've no idea where it is.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Albert Trout said:
It'll be the oil cooler. It's over on that side of the car. Check the lines going to and from it and the cooler itself.
So the lines originate on the driver's side or the passenger's side? Also is the oil cooler built into the radiator like the transmission cooler lines, being that it is an automatic? Thanks guys you have be very helpful. I am going to investigate the leak within an hour or so:) ! I am just hoping that a line may have become loose or something that some good potent epoxy can hold? Is this a common occurence for these cars, again the intercooler/radiator look fairly new, but you can never reallly tell sometimes:confused: !!!

Best Regards!

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
To be honest I've never had any trouble with it so I'm not sure what the pumbing arrangement is but the oil cooler itself is behind the air dam on the driver's side. I'd be surprised if the line's themselves have sprung a leak. More likely to be the cooler itself or the unions with the cooler. It's not built into the radiator.

If that't what it is of course :D

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Its probably exactly what Albert said might be wrong, or it may not be if it isn't. Intercoolers only get itty bitty bits of oil in them, that accumulate over time. And if your IC was leaking you'd probably not have much boost either.
Take a couple pics from under your car. Keep adding oil. Keep like 23 gallons extra in the trunk.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Albert Trout said:
To be honest I've never had any trouble with it so I'm not sure what the pumbing arrangement is but the oil cooler itself is behind the air dam on the driver's side. I'd be surprised if the line's themselves have sprung a leak. More likely to be the cooler itself or the unions with the cooler. It's not built into the radiator.

If that't what it is of course :D
Hoots mon, aye, that't be. (how's my Scottish?) :D

91900turbo, you can't miss the lines going to and from the oil cooler, they run from up near the alternator down to under the intercooler.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
BE careful, if your oil cooler is leaking it could spell disaster.

I have heard of it happening before. Hitting the oil cooler into a curb, or even something else hitting it.

THe lines that go in the oil cooler can leak, if it blows off your engine could be done....fast!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I FOUND IT! The leak is just where you guys said it was, the darn oil cooler!!!!!! It is leaking from the line on the left side of. The line itself is ok, it just seems that the cooler is no good. Could I order a nice pera-cool or B&M Cooler? The cooler is very small and rectangular, are thet that expensive? Other than that all else is good! Thanks again guys! :)

Best Regards!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts