SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:x I would appriciate ANY input on this. I have an 01 Saab 9-5 2.3litre Turbo. This happened once yesterday and once today, I cant get it to start, I looked at the fuses, everyting checks out ok. The car doenst click (so i doubt its the starter) I tried to jump it but that didnt help... however the battery isnt dead as when I turn the key all the interior/exterior lights illuminate as well as the radio/heat etc. PLEASE HELP! I could hear a sound comming from the fuse/relay box under the hood... could it be a relay? Im lost, I just bought the car 4 days ago and Im already hating it!

Thanks a ton

Cory

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Don't hat the car, hate th eprior maintenance. Reax I am sure we can walk you through a few things.

THere are several things that could casue this.

One is a faulty ignition switch ( they are a known but seldom trouble spot.)

Two - Did you check the ground wire insde the engine department the one that goes t the starter. sometimes it get corroded and there is not a good enough conneciton to drive the amps that the starter needs.

Three. if is an auto the neutral safety switch

Four if its a manual coudl be teh clutch safety switch

Also let us know when you turn the key do the lights all go out or just dim?

·
Registered
809 Posts
The lights and other stuff will work even with almost empty battery-check the voltage first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup as said before eveything works fine when the key is on the on position. All my electronics and the lights stay on bright, they arent dim at all. I dont know anything about these cars or where to even begin to look mechanicly. where would this wire be for the starter, or morover, where is the starter itself haha

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
audisnawb said:
Yup as said before eveything works fine when the key is on the on position. All my electronics and the lights stay on bright, they arent dim at all. I dont know anything about these cars or where to even begin to look mechanicly. where would this wire be for the starter, or morover, where is the starter itself haha
This really does sound like a loose battery cable at the starter. It's not a ground, it's the positive cable from the starter. Under the car, between the engine and firewall. Remove the negative cable at the battery, crawl under and make sure the positive cable at the starter is tight, reconnect negative at battery and try again.

Also can try starting in neutral rather than park or rowing the shifter back and forth a bit. If this corrects the problem, then the cause is the neutral safety switch/gear position indicator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It doesnt matter when its hot or cold.... i contacted the previous owner (he left his old paperwork in the glove box) and he said the starter was replaced 2 months ago, so I am confident the person who installed it didnt tighen the positive lead to the starter. ill letcha all know! Thank You for your input its greatly appriciated!!
Cory

·
Registered
21 Posts
audisnawb said:
It doesnt matter when its hot or cold.... i contacted the previous owner (he left his old paperwork in the glove box) and he said the starter was replaced 2 months ago, so I am confident the person who installed it didnt tighen the positive lead to the starter. ill letcha all know! Thank You for your input its greatly appriciated!!
Cory
>>> That is exactly why dealer who took my Saab in trade-in shred all records right away!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts