SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really hope someone here can help me because I've now got to the point where I don't know what is wrong with my car; or how to sort it out.

It's a 1996 Saab GM900, with 174,000 miles on the clock.

The symptoms are as follows:

1) Whining noise from the engine bay area that increases with revs, and becomes much more noticeable with the AC switched on. I only notice this around town.
2) Occasionally when at motorway speeds, and with the AC on the fans will suddenly slow down and then speed up again. I also sense a slight drop in power.

I have assumed that this is the drive belt slipping, and/or the idler pulley(s) on the way out. So I decided to do the short belt mod. A quick email to a parts supplier in the UK and they told me that in order to do the short belt mod I should buy a 93 drive belt and fit that. Ordered it all, and now having checked a bit more I think that the 93 belt will be too short. Is this the case? They are convinced that the 93 belt will fit.

I've also had the old belt off and checked the pulleys. They all "seem" ok to be honest, although the one nearest the tensioner at the top does have some play in it; i can pull it in and out a bit. Drive belt also looks relatively OK, but I don't really know what a knackered one looks like.

What I am really asking is, will the 93 belt fit and is my diagnosis correct or not? I can't afford to keep changing things on the off-chance they may be faulty, but I don't want to end up stranded either. The squeak does seem to be getting progressively worse each day as well and it's making me paranoid.

Any advice would be very very appreciated :)

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Slight whining noise can be a few different things. Low Power steering fluid, or a/c fluid.

If the whining noise is getting worse, you could be losing your a/c refrigerant and the clutch inside the compressor is working ahrder to engage, this also could be indicative of why the fan will cycle on and off. When the clutch engages in the compressor, the fan automatically cycles on. When the a/c is off, the fan is off. So when the a/c is on but the clutch isn't engaging, the fan is off.

This is where I would start looking. Maybe a check of refrigerant level first. If low, fill it up and see if the noise goes away.

Check PS Fluid level as well.

As for the pully, put your ear to the pully when on. It usually starts with a metallic sound when the pully goes. If that sound is happening, change it out. There is a thread on here with the correct belt size.
Read here on the short belt mod length. Read the whole thread as there is a lot of information past my original post on correct lengths.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts