SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have been following in the past 2 weeks I have had the following done:

2 weeks ago: 99 Saab 9-5 Fuel pump replacement
2 days ago: 99 Saab 9-5 DIC replacement AND 01 Saab 9-5 wagon Fuel pump replacement

Today driving to work in the 99 9-5 sedan I hear a ticktickticktickticktick coming from the drivers side cabin fan. If I turn the heat/AC off, it goes away. If I turn the fan on high, the ticking goes away but is replaced with a louder deep rumbling noise.. (I replaced cabin filter about 2 months ago).

Sigh... :cry:

Is this the dreaded blend door failure? Or do I have a bearing on a fan gone?
Is it easily repairable? No codes on the ACC unit.

Any ideas??

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sound like you have a leaf or something like caught in the cabin fan. If you speed up the cabin fan does the ticking speed up too?

If it is. One option is to go in from the bulk head, involves removing the wipers and plastic sheild. I've tried this and it can be a PITA.
You could try to go at it by removing the cabin filter, Ive replaced the cabin filter and would prefer this method, not sure you'll get the item out of the fan this way.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Doubt its a leaf although I suppose thats possible. The sound is like a 'baseball card in bike spokes' that increases with speed of the fan. Whats concerning to me is that the unit also gets a deep loud 'groan/rumble' at the higher fan speeds too...

If I turn the fan on high, the ticking goes away but is replaced with a louder deep rumbling noise.. (I replaced cabin filter about 2 months ago).

Any link for removing the bulkhead?

·
Registered
263 Posts
That's the one, couldn't find it. On picture 8, to aid removing the fan. Undo the three screws that hold the motor cover in place and remove the cover from the motor before trying to remove it from the car. I had to replace one after destroy it trying to get it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts