SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started to replace my entire exhaust system (from front to back) today. Got the exhaust system out without a problem. But, to my astonishment, I noticed that the 2nd heatshield (the one closes to the rear of the car, sits above a portion of the center muffler assembly) was completely lose - it was just layinig on top of the muffler! It appears that 4 four plastic "bumpers" that the screws attach to had ripped off. No idea how that happened. The heat shield in-front of it is fine (but there the attachments are on studs and a nut). Anyway, i was looking for ways and thought maybe i could do some drilling to the underbody (hate that idea though) and somehow attach the heatshield. But once I started to look closely, it appears that what is under that second heat shield is a large plastic "mould". It appears to be attached to the underbody with two big straps to go across this plastic moulding and mounted with regular 10mm (I think, from just looking) bolts (one on each side so a total of 4 bolts). The plastic "bumpers" with the threads that the heat shield screwed into are integral to this plastic moulding....so of course not replaceable.;oops:

My question is: what is this big piece of plastic mould. Is it truly only the 4 bolts that need to be removed and then pryed out? I know that my local You Pull You Pay have a couple of 9-5's on the lot, and I could yank this big piece of plastic mould off one of them and install on my car (providing the heatshield attachments (bumpers) are still there of course.

Did anybody else experience this? What did you do to solve?

Thanks!

Does anyone

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Or, alternatively, should I just forget about the heat shield and install the new exhaust system without it. Does it get that hot back there so a heat shield is necessary (stupid question, I know they must have installed it for a reason), but just asking....

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, thanks. Maybe I just won't attempt to reinstall it either.

This has been a nightmare project. I just now realize that the thread for the rear O2 sensor on the cat converter is no good! I don't get it. I can install both the rear and front O2 sensors to the front hole on the cat, but not in the rear hole...so means thread in the cat is bad. It is a new Walker cat. What a joke. So now I will be down for days as I bought this on-line from Rock Auto and probably could not get the replacement part (providing they are willing to replace it) till Wednesday at best. Oh joy.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just realized that the big plastic "mould" is the fuel tank (duh), did not connect with me as I thought it was located at the very rear of the car. But that's what it is. How crazy that they put integrated plastic "bumpers" on there for the heat shield (shoot the engineer!). Once they break-off, like on mine, you'd have to change the entire fuel tank! I'm just going to apply exhaust wrap on the muffler pipe and call it the day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts