SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.. have heard that Trionic 8 must be reprogrammed or becos i'm running the BSR stage 1, Im fine?

·
Registered
173 Posts
i was planning on doing a custom FMIC... however, i talked to Nick T and taliafero and he said that a new intercooler would change the air flow and this and that and would cause the car to run poorly and would require custom tuning... so i pretty much forgot that project

however, Zleaze here on the forums has the speedparts FMIC on his car, we should ask him about it for some more details

·
Registered
43 Posts
SeanArc said:
i was planning on doing a custom FMIC... however, i talked to Nick T and taliafero and he said that a new intercooler would change the air flow and this and that and would cause the car to run poorly and would require custom tuning... so i pretty much forgot that project

however, Zleaze here on the forums has the speedparts FMIC on his car, we should ask him about it for some more details
Thought.....T 8 runs primarily on air mass mesurement.. hmm

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Why would a FMIC be worse unless it was creating huge air drag? and they dont make more drag than a Rad? unless your FMIC is from a truck and is like a barn door?

·
Registered
43 Posts
ShadowWorks said:
Why would a FMIC be worse unless it was creating huge air drag? and they dont make more drag than a Rad? unless your FMIC is from a truck and is like a barn door?
I cant see the logic in it that would require re-tuning either. :nono;
So a catback exhaust and/or cone filter would also need re-tuning?

just baffled.

·
Registered
635 Posts
actually, for full optimization the obd2 would need to be reprogrammed after an air intake and exhaust system...

almost all bmw parts (for e36s...they were made with obd1 and then obd2, but same parts obviously) have disclaimers that say without an obd2 upgrade the performance output from the parts (exhaust/intake especially) is almost null.

·
Registered
173 Posts
i honestly dont know why either....but thats what nick said. if u guys remember he had the speedparts i/c for sale for some time but he said he stopped selling it cus it only caused problems on the car without a custom tune.

i really wanted a front mount too! :cry:

·
Registered
43 Posts
ScoopSS said:
actually, for full optimization the obd2 would need to be reprogrammed after an air intake and exhaust system...

almost all bmw parts (for e36s...they were made with obd1 and then obd2, but same parts obviously) have disclaimers that say without an obd2 upgrade the performance output from the parts (exhaust/intake especially) is almost null.
You mean just a reset of the ECU or specific retuning of the base software? what if we are runnng BSR stage 1 alredy then.. Is that a proper retuning or do we have to upload a new program from BSR ;)

·
Registered
173 Posts
well when i talked to nick he knew i have stage 2 in my arc and he still said itd require custom software... he said he was working with nordic for software for a downpipe and software for an i/c. however, he told me that the nordic software wouldnt work if we already had bsr which sucks. he didnt tell me when either of these being-developed softwares willb e finished.

i know the forum member Zleaze on this site has the speedparts i/c, i think we should ask him if he ran into any problems with it

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
A FMIC is going to be of little benefit unless you get tuned, and even then, the crossflow in the 9-3SS is relatively efficient for the size of the turbo you're running and for the limited modifications.

Isn't it the same design as the IC used in the Viggen and H.O.T. SE models, cars with more base HP that the SS Aero?

·
Registered
43 Posts
mike saunders said:
A FMIC is going to be of little benefit unless you get tuned, and even then, the crossflow in the 9-3SS is relatively efficient for the size of the turbo you're running and for the limited modifications.

Isn't it the same design as the IC used in the Viggen and H.O.T. SE models, cars with more base HP that the SS Aero?
The IC s mounted between and very close to the radiator and aircon condensor and id think locating it in front will help lower temps a fair bit with slightly better air flow/mass. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
SeanArc said:
well when i talked to nick he knew i have stage 2 in my arc and he still said itd require custom software... he said he was working with nordic for software for a downpipe and software for an i/c. however, he told me that the nordic software wouldnt work if we already had bsr which sucks. he didnt tell me when either of these being-developed softwares willb e finished.

i know the forum member Zleaze on this site has the speedparts i/c, i think we should ask him if he ran into any problems with it
how diffrent in your opinion would the Nordic be ver the BSR stage 1? :evil:
why cant it work if we alredi have BSR, all we have to do is unload the Stage 1 back to PPC and its stock again.........

·
Registered
173 Posts
nick wasnt referring to the nordic stage 1 software like your referring to the bsr stage 1 software. nordic already has stage software available. nick was talking about new software specifically for the i/c that would be purchased separate from any stage 1 nordic software....thats all i can tell you, thats what he said, i tend to agree with you i think it would work, i dont think on this car it could change around the airflow that much too cause any problems.... if zleaze got it to work, why wouldnt it work for us

·
Registered
43 Posts
SeanArc said:
nick wasnt referring to the nordic stage 1 software like your referring to the bsr stage 1 software. nordic already has stage software available. nick was talking about new software specifically for the i/c that would be purchased separate from any stage 1 nordic software....thats all i can tell you, thats what he said, i tend to agree with you i think it would work, i dont think on this car it could change around the airflow that much too cause any problems.... if zleaze got it to work, why wouldnt it work for us

Cheers Sean :D

The main benefit of a FMIC would be to cool down the air faster and unless the i/c is humongously huge which would slow down the airflow and cause a pressure drop , a moderate size Front mount would just optimize the operating conditions.

Does BSR and Maptun have similar opinions? :confused:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts