SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the early planning stages for my ’85 900s. It is an N/A 8v 2 door that is in pretty nice shape for a car with 300,000 miles on it. Those of you on the other side of the pond may or may not be aware, but two door 900s are a bit of a rarity here in the states; the motor is starting to get a little tired, so this is where my planning comes in. I love this car, and it is my daily driver: I put about 95 miles on a day. I have to keep drivability and fuel economy in mind. I currently get about 26 MPG. But the car is just crazy gutless. It is in very good tune, but that n/a 8v is a dog. :eek:

I intend to acquire a 16v motor, rebuild it and get it all ready to just drop in when I feel up to the task. The main issue I come up against is the fact that my 8v is K-jet CIS… The question becomes, do I go standalone fuel management, or do I just graft a later LH system into the car? If I go this direction, is there any particular year I should seek as a parts car? I seem to recall they had some changes in the later 900 models. On the other side of the coin, does anyone have some suggestions for some more basic stand alone systems? I know we have some MegaSquirt fans on the boards here... I don’t need a ton of features since it is just a N/A car, and I don’t plan on making a bunch of tweaks on it. As I already have a more performance minded car, I am not looking to go in that direction. I do intend to build the 16v up a little… Probably run 11:1 compression, maybe a mild cam. Perhaps get MSS to send a mild header my way. I already have a sport exhaust.

Basically I want something with some decent performance, but nothing that will affect reliability or drivability too much. ;) :p I would love some input from others who have chosen this route themselves… I know there aren’t a great deal of people out there who take the time to tune up a n/a SAAB. My 99t is a lot of fun (and my never ending project), but I am really looking forward to the simplicity of building up a naturally aspirated car. There is something pretty satisfying about seeing all that room under hood compared with a turbo car. Well, what do you think?

C

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
My 0.02: B204 head, bored B202 block (or your 85 B201 if starter is on driver side), B212 internals & intake (B212 blocks often have pitting at the coolant passages). That’ll get you to about 10.5:1. Not positive, but I think any B202 head (except 85-only) on a later B201 will drop CR, so if you stuck with the same bore and wanted a 16v head, you’d need to get 16V NA or aftermarket pistons. Or you'd need an 85 head.

The B204 head out-flows any B2x2 head, is cheap (from the u-pull-it it is about $30, give/take), has smaller chamber volume (~45 vs. B212 @ 48 cc) for increased CR without machining. B212 internals get you a small improvement in displacement, are also cheap (prolly get them easily from ScanWest). B201 or B202 block can handle being bored out to fit B212 pistons, and the metal is more durable than the B212. (Customized head or timing chain cover for B204 head <$100, less if you can TIG weld.)

To get the car running, with stock driveability, mileage, etc., install LH2.4.2 and EZK from 91-93 NA. Use a Turbo or 86-87 NA distributor (install but don’t use the crank sensor). Dist. allows you to adjust base timing for more advance (can’t do that w/crank-mount). Then, if you want to go to MS at a later date, you already have the wiring, including the proper throttle switch (B212 throttle or early 90’s 9k throttle), don’t need adjustable dist. w/MS. If you’re never going to MS, then any LH2.4 (88-90 NA).

Wiring would be the biggest challenge…

99sven is doing a B204 swap this winter; I've had one going for a few years now.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
The head on my car is pretty much scrap. Where can I get details of the mods needed for the timing chain area? Are you saying the timing chain cover OR the head can be modified, or do you need to modify both?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts