1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The race....... 20mph-100mph rolling start
The participants.... 1998 NG 900SE vs. 2000 9-5 AERO in 2005 clothing

The MODS:

900 2.0 litre, SQR stage III T5 ecu, bsr 3" downpipe, saabsport exhaust, k&n open intake, hyperboost valve, koni/b&g suspension, 17"bbs rk w/crossdrilled rotors.

9-5 2.3 litre, SQR stage III T7 ecu, bsr 3" downpipe,saab/remus exhaust, k&n open intake, 2.5" stainless turbo intake and delivery pipes, front mounted intercooler,hyperboost adjustable, koni/eibach suspension w/viggen rotors.

My brother is pointing to HIS favorite:

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
This being the 9-5 forum I naturely have to go with the 9-5. ;)

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
Likewise.

I think the NG900 will take a slight initial lead because of its slightly lesser turbo lag at full throttle and lesser weight, but after not too long the 9-5 Aero should blow the NG900 away...

X

·
0 Posts
I'am up for it, Ill stick my Waggon in as well :cheesy:

!st car to 100mph, the 9-5.. No worries :cheesy:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
finn, wagons are sweet. i would have like to have modded a nice wagon but i couldn't find a stick so i passed.

the weather in the northeast usa has been horrible......if we were racing jetboats we would be fine....been raining for quite some time now.

i have driven both cars and don't get me wrong, my brothers car is very quick but as many of you have stated, doesn't have that deep deep powerband that our 9-5's have. in the triple digits, i know he is done.

let's say that bang for the buck, he wins hands down. race result will be posted when completed. stay tuned.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Ok I reckon the 900 gets away first well due to its weight, then the 9-5 levels , then the 9-5 engine siezes due to the damn PCV system, and the 900 wins :eek:

Oh dear............maybe I have been in the workshop forum too long :cry:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
game over

Well, we finally raced the two stage III cars. We did four runs, two from 3rd(approx 40mph) gear to 100 and two from second gear (25mph) to 100 mph. The AERO was 4-0 with an average margin of victory 1-1/2 to 2 car lengths. third gear runs were closer. as suspected, the faster we go the more the aero starts to pull away. in addition to the aero's weight disadvantage, i also had about 400 lbs. extra on board with me. bang for the buck clearly goess to the NG900.
this is what my brother had to look at during the race. good job pete
by the way...i had the A/C blasting during the competition.
dave

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Nice!! Total OWNAGE!!! :cheesy: The 9-5 always comes in 1st!

What was the extra 400lbs? Weights to even the race up? :cool:

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Wait a minute...

I call shenanigans!!!! :lol:

Shame on you guys....This wasn't a fair fight at all. Aside from the obvious displacement difference, you have:
* a much better throttle body delivery pipe
* a more efficient and better-flowing intercooler
* a bigger turbo

Sure, there's a weight difference, but you've optimized the entire forced-induction part of your motor. Your brother has the restrictive single-pass IC, the stock 2" delivery pipe, and the smallish GT17 or 25 turbo. (I can never remember which...)

Let your brother get a 2.5 inch delivery pipe from MP or Abbott, a better flowing IC (MP, Spearco, or Bell), a bigger turbo (say a TD04HL-15T from a Viggen or 00-02 9-3 SE), and the SQR mapping to match. :lol:

I think it would be a wee bit closer....

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mike saunders said:
Wait a minute...

I call shenanigans!!!! :lol:

Shame on you guys....This wasn't a fair fight at all. Aside from the obvious displacement difference, you have:
* a much better throttle body delivery pipe
* a more efficient and better-flowing intercooler
* a bigger turbo

Sure, there's a weight difference, but you've optimized the entire forced-induction part of your motor. Your brother has the restrictive single-pass IC, the stock 2" delivery pipe, and the smallish GT17 or 25 turbo. (I can never remember which...)

Let your brother get a 2.5 inch delivery pipe from MP or Abbott, a better flowing IC (MP, Spearco, or Bell), a bigger turbo (say a TD04HL-15T from a Viggen or 00-02 9-3 SE), and the SQR mapping to match. :lol:

I think it would be a wee bit closer....

you didn't think i was going to spend all this time and money on my car to lose to my younger brother. of course i had to rig it a bit to make sure i would win. mike, i like your fmic setup and will be doing something similar to his car when time allows. when i drive his car, i would swear it is faster than my aero but side by side, the aero prevails.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Maybe the 900 would get a bit closer with a 2.5" delivery pipe etc, but all Fatship has to do is turn the ACC off to get the extra horses back. :cheesy: I'm calling owned as well. ;)

·
Registered
290 Posts
What would have been the difference in two stock 2.0lpt's. Im guessing the 900/9/3 would pull away with the weight advantage?

Shame we could not have seen a video of that race?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts