SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever have an issue where a piston breaks and hits against the cylinder head? Does it make a tapping sound in the engine?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Anyone ever have an issue where a piston breaks and hits against the cylinder head? Does it make a tapping sound in the engine?
I had a piston break in my '00 9-3...well I bought it with a broken piston before I did my rebuild...It's WAY more than a tapping sound if it will run at all. More like a loud, somebody banging on metal with a sledgehammer sound.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone suggested that was my case but I disagreed with them. You must have been confident it was an easy fix to have bought the car anyway.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Someone suggested that was my case but I disagreed with them. You must have been confident it was an easy fix to have bought the car anyway.
I bought it knowing it had a serious problem...but I only paid $600 for an original owner, excellent condition, 9-3 SE. 3 months and about $3000 later with many thanks to this site, I had completely rebuilt the engine with the more sturdy t-5 block and better flowing t-7 head.

Two years later, other than a few minor issues, it's been a great car....I love it. I absolutely will drive that car into the ground...my goal is at least 400k:cheesy:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts