SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally installed the Pioneer Avic D3 in my 2007 SS aero.

Sounds and looks good so far. I got the 9-3 dash kit from Hampus since you can't get it from Pioneer here in the states, and I used his wiring harness, which allowed the use of the stock amps.

I got Sirius and the iPod options. The iPod interface is amazingly good.

See attachments for pics. I haven't figured out how to embed larger pics, or I would have! :roll:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I decided on not using the bluetooth option. My wife's BMW has it built in, and I prefer a BT headset for my use.
Sorry, I don't have any install pics, as I did not do it myself.


joemama said:
Great job! Looks very clean. I'd love to see actual install pics, but that might be asking too much.

Any future plans for the Bluetooth adapter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Great to see that everything worked out with the stuff I sent you.

Don't you agree that the sound is much more richer with the new headunit compared to the factory one?!

Very nice install!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
OK woah.
how much did that unit cost?
I am assuming you kept the stock Bose speaker system.
What other items did you need besides the harness and bezel kit?
Do your steering wheel controls still work with this.
is any On-star now disabled?
Where is the antenae?
maybe i'll do this.
any security on this thing? wouldn't want it do disappear from my car.
i like it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Avic D3 goes for about $900-1000 depending on where you get it. The Sirius option is another $100 or so, and the iPod integration cable is about $35.
I am using the stock Bose speakers and amps,no changes there at all.
Steering wheel controls do not work for the head unit. You need a canbus adapter, which I felt was too expensive for what it provided.
I do not have Onstar, so not an issue.
I have 2 antenna's, Sirius is on the trunk lid, Nav is on the roof. Some people place them inside to conceal them.
The D3 does have a security feature(password).

platypus said:
OK woah.
how much did that unit cost?
I am assuming you kept the stock Bose speaker system.
What other items did you need besides the harness and bezel kit?
Do your steering wheel controls still work with this.
is any On-star now disabled?
Where is the antenae?
maybe i'll do this.
any security on this thing? wouldn't want it do disappear from my car.
i like it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, it does not. There are ways to make them work, it just takes more dollars and effort that I am willing to provide.

I have to say though, the sound quality seems to be a lot better on all inputs.


joemama said:
Not even the volume on the steering wheel works?

... :(
 
G

·
apercele79 said:
anyone pls? would this work for a 2004 saab 93?? thanks
The 2003-2006 9-3s have a different, fiber-optic based audio system which is almost impossible to replace with an aftermarket unit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
apercele79 said:
anyone pls? would this work for a 2004 saab 93?? thanks
Hello,

I did this in a 2004 ARC. Basically what I did was reloacte the CD player behind the dash keeping the fiber connected, and put a AVIC N3 where the CD player was and rewired the car to the speakers. Kept the warning sounds and all and the stock look with a flip out NAV. Costs about 2700.00. Let me know if you have anymore questions I can tell you more...

C
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,539 Posts
racerman56 said:
Is the opening in the dash bigger on the 07 models?
From the looks of it....the opening is bigger in the '07 dash...

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,883 Posts
PatrickA said:
Is there anyway to truly find out if it uses fiber optics? I have a 2007 2.0T up here in Canada.
Yes the fact it uses the GM radio.
If you pull that you will find no fibre optic inputs or outputs. They look like the fiber connection you get between your cable box and surround sound amp or cd and amp etc. A small square black plug with a red light coming from it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
SMHarman said:
Yes the fact it uses the GM radio.
If you pull that you will find no fibre optic inputs or outputs. They look like the fiber connection you get between your cable box and surround sound amp or cd and amp etc. A small square black plug with a red light coming from it.
So if they do not use Fiber optic connections, where can I get a wiring harness for 2007 9-3. It seems like places like crutchfield, etc do not have them.
 
1 - 20 of 257 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top