SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pioneer now advertises iPod compatibility kits - for certain current models. I wonder if they can only be fitted to regular Pioneer car stereos, or whether there is a chance to fit them into a 9-3 SS.

Does anyone out there know which Pioneer car stereo model comes closest (in terms of connectivity) to the Pioneer units with which the 9-3s are fitted?

Clueless

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure?
Do you know of any supplier who caters for Clarion car radios? Do you think adapters for other car brands will also work (Peugeot and the Citroen Xsara also use Clarion units)?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
hertzkasper is right.
However, we are more than willing to do some research.
Umfundisi, where is this information you speak of, can you provide a link?

It MAY be possible, but only if the system can be integrated into the vehicle bus system. That is highly unlikely as it is proprietory Saab (I think). But it is possible.
If you can provide more info we can examine it it in detail.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
hertzkasper said:
this won't work because the 9-3 SS uses audio components by clarion. only amps and speakers are build by pioneer.
Well, IIRC, the EHU, AMP1, AMP2, and all speakers are from Pioneer's OEM division (based in Belgium). The CD changer (6 disc) is by Clarion.

I e-mailed Pioneer OEM back in 2003 asking them about the 93SS stereo. They politely told me that it is their policy to refer all questions back to Saab.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To my knowledge hertzkasper is not quite wrong about Clarion: the previous 9-3 models had audio units by Clarion, but afaik the current 9-3 SSs do indeed have Pioneer units.
So it looks as though I'll just have to order a Pioneer - iPod unit and see if it works (basically: if the plugs fit the sockets on the EHU). If not: boom, back they go ...
Or do you guys have any better advice?

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Umfundisi said:
So it looks as though I'll just have to order a Pioneer - iPod unit and see if it works (basically: if the plugs fit the sockets on the EHU). If not: boom, back they go ...
Or do you guys have any better advice?
I don't have an iPod, but many here do. I would NOT spend money until I found out if it will work. I have not seen the new EHU's. So they have an AUX-IN socket now?

There are many, many threads here dealing with mp3 player installation. If you can't find the information by doing a search, you should start a new thread. I assure someone here can tell you EXACTLY what to buy!:D

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Thanks for the link, I would have never found that. :)
“iPod® Adapter Ready” headunits.
I am 99% certain this will not work.
This is for headunits already to accept this unit, which ours I don't think is. It accepts a bus connector I've never seen before.

If you can get an audio installer to get it hooked up, you'll be the most popular person here, right after alex_c, Father of Aux-in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts