SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 426 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I ordered one of these today and can't wait to install. I was looking at the older AVIC-D3 but now I am glad I waited. This AVIC-F700BT (released just a few weeks ago) has everything I wanted and adds a few new interesting features. I usually order my car audio from Crutchfield but I checked with them and they didn't know when they would get them in stock. Suggested retail price is US$850. So off I went to eBay and found a reliable seller offering it for $710 including shipping. No Pioneer factory warranty because they are not an authorized retailer but I am willing to take the risk because I just had to have it now. :D

I'll take pictures and do a write-up of the install. I still need to get the iPod adapter ($40) and wiring harness. I have read some other posts about double-din installs in the 9-5 and it looks like I am not going to need any other stuff.

USA
http://www.pioneerusa.com/PUSA/Products/Navigation/In-Dash/AVIC-F700BT

Europe
http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/10/20/241/AVIC-F700BT/index.html

Picture of the F900 (same as the F700 but adds DVD capabilities) in the 9-3, couldn't find one in the 9-5.

A New Class of Navigation
No more hassling with map discs. Now you don't have to worry about discs being misplaced, damaged, lost, or stolen because we've done away with them for the F-Series navigation line. We've taken the entire TeleAtlas Database that was previously on the two-DVD set, compressed it down, and stored it internally on flash memory.

Freedom of Speech
The AVIC-F700BT offers a new generation of voice recognition capability for controlling iPod® playback and making calls hands-free via connected Bluetooth-enabled cell phones. The technology accepts and recognizes conversational phrases and language, filters out superfluous sounds and phrases, and if the user doesn't give enough information in the command, the unit will ask additional questions to clarify the request.

In touch, hands-free
The AVIC-F700BT comes with built-in Bluetooth. Now you never need to miss a call, even if your tunes are cranked up or your phone is buried in your bag.

Mobile Media
We've created a line of Navigation systems that make it easy to play various digital and audio formats like: CD-R/RW discs, Portable Media Players like iPod, USB memory devices, and SD Cards. We can play a wide range of files types as well, such as MP3, WMA, iTunes AAC, and MPEG-4 video files.

Make It Personal
Personalize your drive. AVIC FEEDS freeware contains POI Creator, Driving Report, and Picture Editor Applications. You never know where the road will take you, but our POI Creator can help you get started on the right path.

Blending In
Like it's predecessor, the AVIC-D3, the new AVIC-F700BT allows you to change the illumination color to match your car. Select from among 32,768 different colors to match car interior and dashboard lighting.

Seeing Is Believing
The old WQVGA displays that most Navigation units use are 480 x 234 pixels. However, our WVGA display is much higher quality at 800 x 480 pixels. Images become sharper and more defined, just like our maps and menus on these units. The display's enhanced GUI (Graphic User Interface) has also advanced, making system control and management effortless.

iPod Control Made Simple
With the new CD-IU230V cable, you can directly control your music and videos from your iPod. Fast and easy control through USB, the AVIC-F700BT also features iPod Album Art display, Alphabetical Speed Search, and much more.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am really curious to see how good that voice recognition is. If all goes well, no need to search through playlists and finding albums and songs anymore.

Master of Your Music
Use the power of your voice to choose the music you want to listen to. Now you can play your music from your iPod player the easy way -- by asking for it the way you would ask a passenger. Just say the name of your favorite song, artist, album, genre or playlist out loud to select it without scrolling through lengthy playlists or extensive menus.

Voice control for a Bluetooth phone seems pretty cool as well.

Look Ma, No Hands!
Make and take phone calls without reaching for the phone or one of those one-size-fits-none headsets. The Pioneer AVIC-F series takes hands-free calling to another level. Simply ask the AVIC F-Series to make those important phone calls using your Bluetooth®-enabled cell phone. With access to your entire phone book, keeping in touch on the road is a breeze.

·
Registered
740 Posts
About installing this thing - how does it deal with the balanced/unbalanced problem everyone is having trying to hook up a new headunit to HK amp? Do you have AS3/HK setup currently? Will this AVIC give the same output as stock Pioneer unit? Or does it give out unbalanced output and requires some adapters/converters?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
KFirebird said:
Maybe I missed it but can you still use the steering wheel controls?
I think one of these will give that functionality.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5319_PAC+SWI-PS.html

walmark said:
About installing this thing - how does it deal with the balanced/unbalanced problem everyone is having trying to hook up a new headunit to HK amp? Do you have AS3/HK setup currently? Will this AVIC give the same output as stock Pioneer unit? Or does it give out unbalanced output and requires some adapters/converters?
I am still researching this but it looks like you have to use the pre-outs on the stereo and hook up to the standard car wiring with a ground loop isolator in between. Still researching... don't take my word for it just yet. :D

Edit:
I also found these posts by the SC 9-5 master audio guru so it should be relatively easy to hook up. Probably won't even need a GLI.
stipud said:
I've answered these audio questions quite a few times already. Here's a small subset:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100321
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64861&page=2
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91126
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82936
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80185
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69548

In summary, to add a headunit, you get a set of RCAs and connect the shield to the negative line in, and the center pole to the positive line in. When you ground out the balanced input line-in on the stock amp, it functions like a standard single-ended RCA input, and you can drive it with your headunit.
stipud said:
In order to get sound out of the stock amplifier with an aftermarket headunit, you have to connect the headunit REMOTE OUT (usually blue/white -- not ANTENNA REMOTE blue!) to pin 7 on your harness (see this diagram http://www.mitt-eget.com/saab/faq_audio.shtml#head).

Then you find some RCA ends at radio shack, or cut a set of RCAs up and strip the wires... then you connect them as follows:
Front Red RCA pole: 14
Front Red RCA shield: 10
Front White RCA pole: 15
Front White RCA shield: 11
Rear Red RCA pole: 13
Rear Red RCA shield: 9
Rear White RCA pole: 16
Rear White RCA shield: 12

So basically you connect line output - to the RCA shields (ground outside of the RCA), and line output + to the RCA poles (middle of RCA). This way you can get music out of all your speakers without any adaptors.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
valbowski1980 said:
Hmmm..... Will this work with the nightpanel?

Nice setup by-the-way
There is nothing to work with the nightpanel. The backlighting on the stock unit doesn't shut off as it is. That said, it looks like the background on most of the menus is black anyway. I'm willing to bet your not going to be very distracted by it.

I'm SO excited to hear how this works out for you Wulf! I'm living vicariously through you right now... lol :cool:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mattlach said:
Nice.

Will it interface with the factory microphone and GPS antenna that the Onstar system uses, or do you have to wire ugly 3rd part ones?
I'll need to search the forums where I can find the wire for the factory microphone. My car doesn't have Onstar so I'll have no other choice. You can put it somewhere on the rear shelf but that's not an option with the wagon. I'll probably put it on the dash on the passenger side. A small price to pay for having built-in navigation. :) I think it is also possible to hide it under the centre speaker grille.

The unit arrives on Monday so I can post more details next week. I should have ordered one day earlier so it would have been here right before the weekend. :( :) Oh well..

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
Wulf said:
I'll take pictures and do a write-up of the install. I still need to get the iPod adapter ($40) and wiring harness. I have read some other posts about double-din installs in the 9-5 and it looks like I am not going to need any other stuff.
I think I would try to skip the iPod all together with this unit and just run it off of a mini external USB harddrive, leave it in the car, and take it out to sync with my collection every now and then.

I was trying to o read the specs to see if it had a maximum size for USB drives, but it doesn't look like it.

From what I can tell, any USB mass storage device will work, this could include a 1TB external USB harddrive :eek:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was considering that as well but an iPod makes synching so easy. Plus the benefit of easy playlists, podcasts etc. I also want to try recording streaming internet radio which should be fairly easy to transfer to an iPod.

But I will definitely give it a try with a USB drive. I wonder if you can play videos from a USB drive (the F700 doesn't have DVD capabilities).

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Mattlach said:
Nice.

Will it interface with the factory microphone and GPS antenna that the Onstar system uses, or do you have to wire ugly 3rd part ones?
Mic is built into the head-unit. Running a GPS thinger isn't too bad, like Wulf said, just put it on the rear shelf. You can even hide it somewhere in the dash if you like. I keep my cell phone in the cubby under the ACC and it's GPS works just fine when it's there, so I'm sure a more high powered receiver would not have a problem.

Oh yeah, and Mattlach, the speakers do have weird impedences, but the head-unit goes through the amp first anyway from the pre-outs so it's not an issue. Lower impedence speakers, like the ones in our cars, are more efficient and take less power to produce more sound. (Question from other thread. :cool: )

·
Registered
740 Posts
I must say I'm drooling for those install pictures. If it turnes out quite compatible, straight forward, and not requiring dissasembly of half the car and replacement of most wiring then I might be tempted to get myself one of those. Have to say it looks REALLY good :D

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
walmark said:
I must say I'm drooling for those install pictures. If it turnes out quite compatible, straight forward, and not requiring dissasembly of half the car and replacement of most wiring then I might be tempted to get myself one of those. Have to say it looks REALLY good :D

Likewise!

I'll have a hard time justifying buying another toy this soon after my last one, but damn this thing is tempting!

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
SectorNine50 said:
Mic is built into the head-unit. Running a GPS thinger isn't too bad, like Wulf said, just put it on the rear shelf. You can even hide it somewhere in the dash if you like. I keep my cell phone in the cubby under the ACC and it's GPS works just fine when it's there, so I'm sure a more high powered receiver would not have a problem.
Hmm. Looks as if this Head Unit actually does require a external microphone (I just downloaded and read the manual)

It comes with one. I'd want to either skip it, and use the saab built in mic, or place it where the built in saab microphone is. This may be difficult.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Mattlach said:
It comes with one. I'd want to either skip it, and use the saab built in mic, or place it where the built in saab microphone is. This may be difficult.
The Saab microphone may have a different impedance or connector. I would probably stick to the properly calibrated included mic.

It's certainly not difficult to run a microphone up there. Underneath the dash it is cavernous, with loads of room to run your wires neatly. You can remove the lower dash trim with the screwdriver supplied in the trunk. The A-pillar trim pops off easily, and the rear view console is also a cinch to remove. Stick it to a piece of double sided tape above the stock mic location, and voila!

1 - 20 of 426 Posts