SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I made the mistake of buying a double-din unit without checking the mounting depth it was the eclipse unit with the built in tom-tom don't get it because it wont fit depth wise. It hung out like 1.25" and looked horrible.

I have a 02 9-3 and I have already trimmed underneath the cup holder to fit a double din size using a hack-saw blade and i did take pics for everyone.

What I need to know is has anyone installed this pioneer unit in a 9-3 and had no problems with it fitting flush? Pics of it actually in a car would be great to assist me in making my decision to purchase it or not.

Thanks!
Carter

·
Super Moderator
3,060 Posts
My new headunit has that same problem, it sticks out about an inch and a half. Thats just one problem that comes with aftermarket products, especially stereo equitment. It's a real shame becuase everything in my Saab just "flows" but with the new head it's kind of an eyesore. Too bad the stock headunit sounds so crumby...

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
KaMiKaZi_t0M said:
Thats just one problem that comes with aftermarket products, especially stereo equitment.
It's a problem only for GM branded vehicles, their stock radios are very shallow when it comes to depth, have you ever seen a Chev Cavalier with an aftermarket headunit installed?!? The bloody stereo sticks out like 2" from the face of the dash, with a mounting kit!

I do have an aftermaket unit in my NG900, and there was alot of room behind it to accomidate the installation. Maybe the 9-3's changed that. Why don't you try to re-route any stock wiring back there to accomidate the headunit if possible, or just measure the stock one's depth and find the specs of the pioneer before you buy it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts