SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...it was a long week and finally got around to taking some pictures of the installation. A few quick installation notes prior to open the discussion.

1) The installation was performed a Futureshop in Kanata, Ontario.
2) As my car was second in line, I was not really keen on sitting around, so no pictures of the actual installation itself. Sorry guys....but I do have a job and had to get to a wifi'd coffee shop.

So...overall installation experience was above par. The only pitfall is that the central air vent that had to be removed is broken. Futureshop is replacing at cost and it is not a big deal since it is a replaceable component and doesn't affect the overall functionality of the car.

Overall, it is a very clean installation. No wires are exposed. The iPOD is located in the first cubby hole area next to the 12V power outlet. Bluetooth is amazing. Just yesterday, I had a friend of mine in the passenger seat. I called my brother and both my friend and I were heard very clearly. No echo and my brother's voice sounded really well over the speaker system. I didn't hear any static or anything of that nature. The microphone is located here, in the A-pillar:

The GPS and XM antenna are located just in front of the previous SID location. See below.....

Here are a few more pictures of various states that the unit can be in. Please forgive the glare in the pictures.

I am yet to determine if the iPOD location is still the best place for it. If I have to remove it, I will have to remove the unit as there is a hole that was drilled to accomodate the cable. It is long enough to reach the central console storage area, or I might put it in the glove box. I am undecided. For now though, it is out of the way and it is not really visible.

At some point, I may venture down the path and perform a D3 bypass get at all the functionality as oppose to having to stop and lifting the hand brake to get at everything. However, I have not found a need to configure my system while I am driving, so this may be a mute point.

Overall satisfication with the unit: amazing
Sound quality: damn good and much better than stock, especially with BOSE.
Was it worth it: definitely.

Now, where did I get each bit:

Fascia kit and wiring harness: www.kalogeropoulos.gr
XM Satellite and Bluetooth Kit: two different resellers on EBAY
Pioneer Avic D3 + iPOD: Futureshop

This is not your average install since the components were sourced from various places around the world, but it does show and prove that it is possible to install an aftermarket unit as long as you are willing to get the parts you need from the right places. It is more difficult for us North Americans then it is for our European breathren,

I am sure I missed out on some details, so if you have questions, please let me know. My only task left is to transfer my XM subscription from the old unit to the new unit and I am set.

Enjoy and would appreciate your comments.

Paul

·
Registered
226 Posts
yea it is, im jealous as hell!! i had one ordered but somehow the payment got screwed up and i never got one :roll: the only downside i see to the unit is the 6.1" screen over a 6.5" but very cool cause of the nav and dvd capability!

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
joemama said:
Hey congrats, and thanks for the detailed shots. It looks amazing.

Question - why didn't you use Saab's internal microphone?

Question2 - Do any of the steering wheel controls work?
Saab's internal microphone....no, it is not. I am using the one with the Bluetooth kit. The only thing the unit is using from stock is the antenna for AM/FM. The XM antenna link would have been difficult to connect with.

No, the steering wheel controls do not work. 160 Euro's from a European seller would give me that functionality, but I was not willing to spend that much extra if it didn't give me all the controls on the steering wheel.

Rip Van Winkle said:
looks great...is that touchscreen?
Yes.....all of it.

explorerfx4 said:
yea it is, im jealous as hell!! i had one ordered but somehow the payment got screwed up and i never got one :roll: the only downside i see to the unit is the 6.1" screen over a 6.5" but very cool cause of the nav and dvd capability!
True, it doesn't use up more of the real-estate. Eventhough, the Kenwood DNX7200 has the increased real-estate and Garmin-based NAV, the audio user interface is probably the worst from a CNET review perspective and user-feedback perspective. The increased cost wasn't justified since my primary focus was audio and secondary was navigation.

roflcopter said:
Is that the pioneer or phonocar fascia kit?
This is the Pioneer fascia kit and back to your "carputers". This may be more difficult to achieve, but possible. If I find myself with plenty of extra spending cash and feel like going down this route, I may do so since I have the fascia kit, any double-din LCD screen front end should work and be able to use a 160 GB drive for music, get WiFI goin so I can wirelessly transfer music to my system. This is all within the realm of possibilities.....just need to use the right adapter kits to achieve bluetooth, XM and MP3 music. :)

Paul

·
Registered
485 Posts
tag_addict said:
Gorgeous installation

I'm still WAY pissed off there is NO way to do this in MY03
can i deliver some good news?:cheesy:

http://www.kalogeropoulos.gr/displayITM2.asp?ITMID=6298

tomorrow i am going to the store to buy this connector. if u cant understand the page let me give it clear....

:cheesy:this is a cable that transforms the fiberoptic type connector to ISO type.:cheesy:

the only problem that havent figured out yet is if there is plenty of room or an alternate fascia like this because models before 2006 have less space at that spot and is a little more curvy on bottom right corner i think.

http://www.kalogeropoulos.gr/displayITM2.asp?ITMID=6886

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is good news for the '03 to '06 generation. However, a double-din will not fit in the car unless you completely redo the dash. The best that can be done is a single-din. However, don't you require the radio in these years to start the car?

Paul

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ease
JMachan said:
Also, no pics right now, but I got my Phonocar stuff yesterday...everything looks to be in order. The facia kit (3/382) looks just like the Pioneer one. phew!
Please send me a private PM and let me know your total cost for both items from Phonecar.

Paul

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.