SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, I've had a good run from my 98 2.0 lpt for a while now and its getting close to the time where I sell it and get my next one but...

for about 4-5 months I have noticed that the engine is pinking when I take off from intersections just at the point where the engine reacts to the throtle and also if i'm at low revs going up a hill so it seems to be when the engine is under stress. recently as a reaction to the problem i have done the oil, spark plugs and a new DIC but this has not solved the issue. Also I have noticed that pulling away from intersections sometimes is PAINFULLY slow and find myself flicking to sport mode and flooring it to get the car motivated. apart from that, on long trips the car is its normal self, no loss of power.... I can't see any vacume hoses astray but I will be checking again in the morning.

any thoughts???

A:)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry, should also mention that it has been rather hot here of late and often start the car with the AC on. Sometimes when doing this the engine takes a couple of seconds to catch on all 4 cylynders if it's a cold start. I need to try starting the car with the AC off to see if this helps I guess.:confused:

As a suggestion for a fix of my own problem, could this be an air flow problem?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hmm, strange indeed. My first response would be that you have a misfire, you're running on 3 cylinders, and that's your problem - replace plugs and/or DIC... but you did that already.

Don't know what was the original cause of pinging, but the result (although remote) could be a cracked piston... That would also lead to loss of compression in one cylinder and feel like running on 3 only. Remove the plugs and do a compression test, that should clear that up. Trionic should compensate for A/C running, so you shouldn't feel that too much.

Air flow... maybe, but where? I guess malfunctioning MAF sensor can lead to too rich/too lean running which may cause pinging... You could clean it yourself or take it to the shop for diagnostics (I believe Tech2 can read values directly from MAF).

Some ideas here, but sorry, no definitive answer ;oops:

·
Registered
904 Posts
Wide range of possibilities.

Have you changed your fuel filter lately?
I recently replaced mine and oh my....what a difference. No more hesitation off the line and i haven't noticed any pinging yet. Mind you, it's been cold and snowing/raining since i replaced the fuel filter and air filter.

Could also be your knock sensor.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, thanks for your replies. I've changed from 95 to 98 octane and the pinking has gone. Strange though because I've always run it on 95 just fine :confused:

The bad part about this is that the car has just started making a whirring noise that sounds like it is coming from inside the timing chain cover that sounds like a bearing on its way out :eek:

Off to the dealer again tomorrow then...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
woywitka said:
I hope not! Could it be water pump? After another listen it is quite difficult to pick exactly where the sound is coming from but it could be from a pulley or auxiliary like water pump or oil pump. I'm not totally sure what is what on thay side of the engine. Does anyone have a diagram that names the parts I could look at??

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Long crank times, pinging, and poor performance usually point to a fuel pump or a fuel filter. If you've never changed your fuel filter, do it. It's easy, fairly cheap, and can make a huge difference in performance.

If it sounds like a pump is working hard, make sure it's not your oil pump. Get your sump dropped as soon as you can. It'd be a shame to have the engine go right before you were going to sell the car! :eek:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
righto, new water pump on its way. I'm relieved it was the water pump actually as I was having sludge nightmares! I'm going to get the fuel filter done at the same time and then it is time to quit the car and get my next SAAB :D

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Rumpus said:
righto, new water pump on its way. I'm relieved it was the water pump actually as I was having sludge nightmares! I'm going to get the fuel filter done at the same time and then it is time to quit the car and get my next SAAB :D
What do you want next?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts