SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my first post here so I guess I should introduce myself. I do not currently own a Saab, but I plan on buying a 9-3 Viggen sometime this summer. Currently I drive a 2000 Volvo V70R AWD and an Audi A4 1.8T that has gone so far from stock that I can barely drive it on the street anymore. Since the A4 has basically become track only, I need a replacement for it!

I would really like to see pictures of the different suspension options out there. So far B&G and H&R are the only two I've come across. I'm a big suspension guy and am not easily pleased. I have Ohlins and custom springs on the Volvo and a Stasis setup on the A4.

I appologize if this same thread has been posted before.

I leave you with some eye candy:



Thank you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
464 Posts
Springs available:
B+G
H+R
Intrax
Eibach
saabtuner(on ebay)
abbott racing
swedish dynamics
and I believe Vogtland also has some.
Shocks
Bilstein
Koni
Kyb
Eibach
I'm sure others will reply also.
I do not believe there are any coilovers available for the 9-3/viggen,maybe some custom stuff though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,009 Posts
jeez, why did mine come out so big?!?!?! sorry, I'll see if I can shrink em down. At least you can get a close-up!!!

Oh and I'm working on before pics too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
I have some pictures on my web site of the difference between a stock Saab 9-3se and one with Eibachs and Bilsteins. Click on my name over there on the left and there'll be a link to my car's site on cardomain.com.

Another few things you really want to consider are the Viggen Rescue Kit, and a thicker rear ARB. Also some chassis stiffening with a good (read: Taliaferro, MPPerformance) subframe brace.

Good luck Viggen hunting and when you do get it remember to post pictures! :D
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Sharma said:
I would really like to see pictures of the different suspension options out there. So far B&G and H&R are the only two I've come across.
Here's a 900 with Intrax springs.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,663 Posts
Sharma, that's a fine stable you've got there.

How much power r you running on that A4? Is the suspension just too low/stiff for street bumps?

Was the V70R offered in stick? I didnt think that it was?

Nice looking cars! I see you're a fan of AWD.. The Viggen should be a bit of a shock:eek: I'm sure you're fully aware of torque steer in powerful FWD cars. Good that you're a suspension person. I'm psyched to see what you do with the Vig as a person who probably has had some track time and knows what he's looking for handling wise. Nick at Genuine SAAB autocrosses his Viggen and has tried a number of suspension modifications. I'd start with his site and work from there. MP Performance has some less expensive alternatives too.

Good looking SAABs too guys!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fast_Ed said:
Sharma, that's a fine stable you've got there.

How much power r you running on that A4? Is the suspension just too low/stiff for street bumps?

Was the V70R offered in stick? I didnt think that it was?

Nice looking cars! I see you're a fan of AWD.. The Viggen should be a bit of a shock:eek: I'm sure you're fully aware of torque steer in powerful FWD cars. Good that you're a suspension person. I'm psyched to see what you do with the Vig as a person who probably has had some track time and knows what he's looking for handling wise. Nick at Genuine SAAB autocrosses his Viggen and has tried a number of suspension modifications. I'd start with his site and work from there. MP Performance has some less expensive alternatives too.

Good looking SAABs too guys!
Ed, the A4 isn't tuned right now, but i'm very confident that it's putting down a little over 300 to the wheels (not bad for a 4 banger, especially one that is AWD). My wheels spin in first and second gear and it can outrun my mom's RS6 :) It still has quite a ways to go, but hopefully in the next year or two it will be complete.

I found out yesterday that I have Scoliosis - kind of late in life to figure that out, I know! I run a Sparco Pro2000 for my drivers seat in that car and it is very difficult for me to spend more than a 30 minute lapping session in it. I'm pretty disappointed since I'm only 21 years old and already have a debilitating back problem (Grandpa Sharma ;)). I should mention that as long as the seats are comfortable, I have no problems. The Volvo is really stiff, but the seats keep me comfortable for any distance. How do the seats in the Viggen feel?

Speaking of the Volvo, it's an automatic. A good daily driver that has some nice power to it! My year was the only year the 5 speed auto was offered, and fewer than 400 were brought to the united states - kind of like a 99 Viggen. Only autos were brought to the United States, in fact, the first turbo Volvo in a manual that you could order was an S70 T5 SE Manual (Of the FWD and AWD models).

It sounds like the Viggen has quite a bit of torque steer in the stock configuration, but as long as there are ways to reduce it, I'm not going to throw away the idea of a FWD car. The thing that appeals to me most about the Viggen is the misc. parts for suspension that the aftermarket offers to us. Other things that appeal to me: the 2900lb curb weight, stock TD04, style, rarity (a must, I don't want to see the same car driving down the road!), 2 door etc.

I feel like I'm talking your head off. Sorry!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
a wise choice

I know it was already mentioned, but it bears repeating that moving from AWD vehicles to a FWD one will be a big shocking. Sure there's a load of torque-steer in the Viggen but the VRK (from Abbot & GenuineSaab) along with anti-roll bars looks like the best way to correct this. I just ordered mine from genuinesaab.com and am counting down the days until they arrive.

Nick is really really helpful and knows a lot about Viggens. Nice to find somebody local [in the US] who has been there and done that with Saabs. You already know that the Viggen is a rare breed and always turns heads in a subtle way. Good choices thus far, hope that you find yourself a Viggen. I recommend getting one through auction. I had a local guy who deals in used Saabs go to auction for me - I gave him the exact specs of the car I wanted: 2000 4dr Viggen Silver/Black - and he dropped it off at my house 2 weeks later. Nothing better than that.

Best of luck Saab hunting and welcome to the party.

-G

Picts of my 2000 Viggen

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
seats

Damn, totally forgot that's why I started posting last time...

The seats are more comfortable than the best desk chair I've ever sat in - period. Considering I drive well over 20k a year I'm convinced it's the seats that have keep me sane this long. Weekly commutes to Boston in the middle of winter would suck in anything less.

Dont know if you're a big guy but I'm 6'6"" and over 200 lbs and I fit into a Viggen comfortably. Again, the seats are perfect for me - I hear no complaints from my 5'5" girlfriend either. Amazing that a car can fit such a range of body sizes.

-G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,009 Posts
The seats seriously are the only thing I will not have that is equal or better to the Vig when my plans are all done. Well other than the extra .3 liters, but whatever. I'm looking for some of the tan seats that came in the 03 conv with the sports package. I obviously have the tan interior, so these are a must. Pretty hard to find though. I have the money sitting in the bank so I can snatch em up as soon as I find some though. :cheesy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,926 Posts
here's a quickie....
once it clears up here And I can wax it.... I'll show some better pictures....

Forgot to mention before
B&G springs
bilstein Sports on all-4
16x7.5" TSW hockenheim R's
and 225/50/16 hankook ventus r-S2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
stromer said:
The seats seriously are the only thing I will not have that is equal or better to the Vig when my plans are all done. Well other than the extra .3 liters, but whatever. I'm looking for some of the tan seats that came in the 03 conv with the sports package. I obviously have the tan interior, so these are a must. Pretty hard to find though. I have the money sitting in the bank so I can snatch em up as soon as I find some though. :cheesy:
what do they look like? i wouldnt mind some sportier seats
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,009 Posts
they're the same thing as the viggen seats. I don't think the actual Viggen seats were ever offered in tan. I've certainly never seen any. And with the sport seats, I won't have that viggen logo in there. I think it says turbo or something instead on the backrest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,996 Posts
stromer said:
they're the same thing as the viggen seats. I don't think the actual Viggen seats were ever offered in tan. I've certainly never seen any. And with the sport seats, I won't have that viggen logo in there. I think it says turbo or something instead on the backrest.
They were! SoCalViggen has a black Viggen with tan seats - now if I could just findd some in a junkyard somewhere (like THAT will ever happen)!!

...from his CarDomain site...

 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top