SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I've had a couple requests to post pics of the new Koni Sport suspension kit (shocks and springs). Here they are on my 99 9-3 vert base. I also added 18x8 HP Racing Evo Dark wheels and MP rear sway bar. I used 225/40/18 tires which are nearly an inch larger diameter that the stock 15" tires, so keep that in mind when you are looking at the tire to fender lip spacing.

I have nothing to compare the ride to except stock. Strangely, the body seems less flexy now then it did with the stock suspension. It feels like a lot of the flex was due to each corner of the car " doing its own thing" over bumps. There is absolutely none of that now, everything is very well controlled. Ride quality is mid firm with the shocks set to the softest setting. I don't find that I try to drive around bumps or road cracks. On the twisties it feels like a different car, turn in is better and there is no body roll. Overall, I think this is close to the suspension that the Viggen should have had from the factory.

BTW The HP wheels don't come in 5x110, when I have some more time I'll post how I got them to fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
What does Koni list as the actually drop measurement this suspension provides? Your fender gap looks similar to mine with Eibachs and Bilsteins, and I only have 17s.

·
Registered
328 Posts
decisions...

i'll be getting upgraded suspension soon too, and have been holding out for the koni kit, so thanks for the pics :) i will stay with 17s i think, i'd rather keep the acceleration advantage of 17s over 18s. plus going to 18 would be a boatload of $$$!

so now the question is which setup to go with?

1. new koni kit
2. eibach pro kit
3. other options?

those two were really the only choices i'd been thinking of since i don't want to break the bank...
anyone have any input? thanks :)

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Well since you already have the slightly lowered suspension of the Viggen, do you really want new springs? I would say just go with dampers. Bilsteins is what I have and they are second only to the Koni adjustables. If I were you, I'd just puti n the Koni shocks/strus and leave the springs alone.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
most springs for viggens lower only 10mm as opposed to 30-35 mm since it is lower than stock 9-3's already.;) but you probably scrape stuff aslready as it is if you have the viggen...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm wondering what prices you guys are seeing on the shocks only. At the place where I bought my kit the shocks are only $75 less than the kit. Would be nice to have another spring set to try out. If the shocks are in stock and the kit isn't then that would be a different story.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
kemosaabie said:
I'm wondering what prices you guys are seeing on the shocks only. At the place where I bought my kit the shocks are only $75 less than the kit. Would be nice to have another spring set to try out. If the shocks are in stock and the kit isn't then that would be a different story.
yeah the kit is not much more than just the shocks, a really great package deal if you plan to do shocks and spring at the same time... I wonder who makes the springs, though?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
That is true that you may as well do it for the springs. At least you'd be reducing the off chance of a factory spring braking. Honestly, I thought the Viggens were lower than that. I guess all the talk about them scraping does that. I have the 'Bachs and the catalog body kit and haven't a single scrath on the underside of the front air damn. Who knows? :roll:

·
Registered
642 Posts
my suspension is essentially dead at this point, same for 110k miles. Just hoping this kit isn't going to rub on the 225/50r16 kumhos on Ronal lv's

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
stromer said:
That is true that you may as well do it for the springs. At least you'd be reducing the off chance of a factory spring braking. Honestly, I thought the Viggens were lower than that. I guess all the talk about them scraping does that. I have the 'Bachs and the catalog body kit and haven't a single scrath on the underside of the front air damn. Who knows? :roll:
a viggen is lower than an SE but also the body kit in front, that sexy front bumper, is a good 4 inches or so lower than the SE front bumper.

for example HR springs lower an SE 35 mm but on a viggen they only lower 10mm because it is lower to begin with...

·
Registered
328 Posts
i've never had any problems with scraping... guess i've just been lucky ;-) but the last owner took out a good sized chunk of the air dam :eek: so i guess it depends on who's behind the wheel...
is there any advantage to changing from the stock springs in terms of spring rate/tension/whatever? if not i'll probably follow stromer's advice and just get koni's (along with bushings)...

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
yeah, like ive said before, im not lowering until i move to florida..... mine bumper is nasty on the bottom, the paint peeling is not from scraping but serious rocks and salt spray, which sucks, its along the leading edge of the bottom ont hee passenger's side. im sure firmer shocks would be a big help

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I'm considering taking off my from air damn for the winter. How do you think that would look? haha. It'll be hibernating this winter anyways, so its all good.

We should measure our comparative group clearance mike on sat at the meet. I'm curious now. Who's whip is more laid out g????

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
stromer said:
We should measure our comparative group clearance mike on sat at the meet. I'm curious now. Who's whip is more laid out g????
mine will be mad low PLAYA. once I get my koni kit on and my vig bumper.

so anyone know who makes the Koni springs?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
For some reason B&G is in my head. I think Eric once told me this. All I know is that they are outsourced, so Koni doesn't make them. Or at least this was going to be the case 6 months ago when they were in the planning stages.

·
Registered
180 Posts
B + G

the springs that came with my Koni Sports Kit were Red B + G springs , im not as impressed with them as i was with the eibachs i had last time .

Can i ask you guys what you set your Konis to ? i have mine set half way front and back .

the old konis i had used to have 13 turns , these new ones only turn about 7 times now .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts