SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So being on somewhat the bored side this weekend, I took part of the front seats apart. Not a whole lot of room. But did find out how to retrofit the lumbar. :)

It's a really simple device. All it is, is a nylon webbing strap that tightens from side to side. As you turn the handwheel, the steel wire (one end anchored to the seat frame) being in a plastic sleeve lengthens, and either tightens or relaxes the strap.
It's interesting, I wonder what part of the mechanism "snaps" when you guys have had busted lumbars. It's a pretty simple system.

That backpanel was an interesting challange to take off. If anyone's interested I'll try and write it up.

Oh well. Just info for yall's review.

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
Vis you have way to much time on your hands. I figured it wasn't anything to complicated, since Saab keeps it simple. Thanks for the pics and info. I can't imagine that putting the cover back on was to easy. It's usually easier taking apart than putting back together. Have fun investigating other parts of the car.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Viscouse said:
That backpanel was an interesting challange to take off. If anyone's interested I'll try and write it up.
No rush on this, but I AM interested.

I hate working with auto upholstery, as it often seems to require a handy set of hog-ring pliers or some other tool I end up not having!

I also don't like the way some of this stuff was designed to be snapped together and NEVER taken apart without destroying the fasteners. So, you end up debating whether to yank what you can't even see (and hope for the best), or staring at the thing for hours:eek:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Viscouse said:
So being on somewhat the bored side this weekend, I took part of the front seats apart. Not a whole lot of room. But did find out how to retrofit the lumbar. :)

It's a really simple device. All it is, is a nylon webbing strap that tightens from side to side. As you turn the handwheel, the steel wire (one end anchored to the seat frame) being in a plastic sleeve lengthens, and either tightens or relaxes the strap.
It's interesting, I wonder what part of the mechanism "snaps" when you guys have had busted lumbars. It's a pretty simple system.

Oh well. Just info for yall's review.
Did you take the bottom cushion off? Are there provisions for vented seats in there? :) I saw one guy install couple computer fans in seat in his Maxima...was pretty cool..:)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Viscouse said:
Nope, just the backpanel. You'd need to poke bookoo holes in the seat foam & leather (!) to get it to work.
that's true our seats are not perforated....or we can just get a VERY BIG fan :)

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How to take the backpanel off & lumbar out.

ctrlz said:
No rush on this, but I AM interested.
So I'm a bit of a loss cause I have to do this from memory, and no good pics...

Basic construction: the backpanel is basically 1 piece of board that is retained in 4 places:
Top- not affixed, tucked under the top part of the seat
Bottom-2 elastic clips.
Sides-arrow clips. The side bolster trim clips into the backpanel
Inside-a strap attached to the backpanel routes around the backframe. Stupid strap. It took me forever to figure that out.

Step-by-step:
1. Unclip the side bolster arrow clips from both sides the backpanel. They are just press-fit in, and just by pulling you can pull them out. Pull straight along the back (from left to right), not straight back. It might help if you try to roll it out with your fingertips. You don't need tools, so I would recommend really trying before breaking out the sharp metal screwdriver.
2. Stuff your head under the seat. There are some elastic straps attached to the backpanel at the bottom outside corners. There was a lot of blood in my head from being upside down, and it was dark, and hot so I might have been hallucinating. Somehow, undo the clips & elastic straps. You may have to undo 2 other ones first.
3. Note the construction of the backpanel. It is corrugated plastic with trim on top. There is a flap on the bottom made of flexible solid (non-corrugated) plastic. It is hinged to the larger part. Also note the white strap that originates from the upper backpanel, routes around a metal bar of the seat backframe, and ends at the bottom part of the backpanel. The bottom edge of this strap has a J-clip (an extruded plastic clip that has a cross-section that looks like a "J"). It is hooked to the backpanel. Make sure you understand how it works as you will have to reinstall this without being able to see it!
Once you understand it, simply unhook it.
4. Slide backpanel down & out. Curse at white strap a few more times for good measure.

To re-install, just follow in reverse.

How to change the Lumbar mechanism.
I haven't actually done this, so this is just an educated guess. If you have to use a lawn chair as a seat cause something when wrong, don't blame me.
The lumbar is comprised of a hand wheel attached to 2 steel cables in plastic housing. These cables are attached to a white strap. Turning the wheel takes up the cable, which tensions the strap. The shape of the strap changes from curved to flat, providing less give to the backrest.
1. Remove the handwheel. I think it just pulls straight out.
2. Unhook the mountings where the wires enter the wheel mecahnism by twisting the wires 1/4 turn & pulling them out.
3. Unhook the lumbar mechanism wires from the backframe by unhooking them. Great picture #2 above.

To re-install, just follow in reverse.

Picture below is the white strap attached to the backpanel.
Hope this helps...

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts
sorry to bring the thread back from ages ago.. trying to take the seat back off.. vis... are the side clips at the corners of the back pannel?

got the trim off nice and easy, but i cant find where its attached at the upper part?
:(

·
Registered
563 Posts
Viscouse said:
The side clips run the entire length of the backpanel. It's really a plastic arrow that fits inside a mating channel.

ah right well i got that out.. but the top of the pannel is still firmly attached to the top of the seat somewhere :(

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I had my Lumbar support on drivers seat replaced under warranty and they had to pull the seat out of the car....I was not sure if that was necessary, but oh well..

·
Registered
78 Posts
A lift please...

Vis,
A little twist to your project. I don't have a power seat, and really need to lift up the front of the seat somehow to add some support under the knees. Any ideas now that you have deconstructed the seat?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts