SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello
I am thinking about connecting a exstra amp for my ES2-150 stereo,and 6X9 speakers in the back, and I asked for tips on a swedish website(www.saabturboclub.com), and I got quite a few tips on this, and one guy (93t), had som pics of how to hook up this on the AMP1 under the passenger seat.
He welded wires directly to the 'low' signal part on the AMP1

Any comments on this??
Looks like this is the way to do it, or?

http://web.telia.com/~u43305336/SS/AMP1%20001.jpg
http://web.telia.com/~u43305336/SS/AMP1%20005.jpg

EDIT:
I got some more pics from this guy:
http://web.telia.com/~u43305336/SS/AMP1%20004.jpg
http://web.telia.com/~u43305336/SS/AMP1%20006.jpg
http://web.telia.com/~u43305336/SS/AMP1%20007.jpg

Regards
Svein-Egil
http://home.online.no/~svpett/index.cfm

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Hey, that's cool. IMO that's the way to do it if you want to do it right. No need for line level converters and such. Just tap the signal at its source. Very neat too especially with the RCA connectors right out of AMP1. I might do that too.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Looks like he soldered his cables to the inputs of the mosfet. At that time, wouldn't the signal already be filtered?

I suppose that's ok if you're hooking up 6x9's, but don't expect to get a full signal.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jmr said:
Looks like he soldered his cables to the inputs of the mosfet. At that time, wouldn't the signal already be filtered?

I suppose that's ok if you're hooking up 6x9's, but don't expect to get a full signal.
Hello
This guy told me the signal is filtered from the ICM, and I would get 0-400Hz, the same as the front door speakers.

Svein-Egil

·
Registered
545 Posts
jmr said:

Correct, but this connection is only suitible for people wanting to install a sub (playing around 0 - 120Hz), unforunately there are no unfiltered signals in the car, AMP1 powering the door speakers are filtered from about 400Hz and above, and the dash, center and rear speakers are cut from 80Hz and down..
All the filtered signals are already filtered from the ICM, so I do not know if there is a way to change the signal ratios coming from the ICM?, maybe with TechII ?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Very neat. I did similar but to the line out level signal and then had to feed it through the LOC. This is a much neater way to go.

Only concern would be popping the amplifier chip if your soldering is not too neat. I like that it doesn't butcher the loom.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
93t,

Can you ask 'X' whether he can direct us to the correct pins on the rear amp to get the sub level outputs?

Would be very useful for adding a proper sub rather than the 6x9's in the shelf.......

·
Registered
545 Posts
gjdavies said:
93t,

Can you ask 'X' whether he can direct us to the correct pins on the rear amp to get the sub level outputs?

Would be very useful for adding a proper sub rather than the 6x9's in the shelf.......

Ill look into this, I think that AMP1 and AMP2 are very similar, but ill check it just in case..

·
Registered
462 Posts
93t said:
Not at all, "This guy" is me, the pics are mine, but I got the tip from "X" one of the designers of the 9-3 audio system.

(he doesnt want his name exposed)

Thank you "X" ;)
No wonder... the guy would be tarred and feathered by the denizens of the 9-3SS workshop!

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
93t said:
Not at all, "This guy" is me, the pics are mine, but I got the tip from "X" one of the designers of the 9-3 audio system.
This is great stuff!

Can you post the pin numbers and ID's? I asume they are GND, L, and R. But in what order?

Sorry if you have this labelled somewhere. I could only view the first picture. Web-filtering here at work has blocked access to the rest:evil:

·
Registered
353 Posts
svpett said:
Hello
I am thinking about connecting a exstra amp for my ES2-150 stereo,and 6X9 speakers in the back, and I asked for tips on a swedish website(www.saabturboclub.com), and I got quite a few tips on this, and one guy (93t), had som pics of how to hook up this on the AMP1 under the passenger seat.
He welded wires directly to the 'low' signal part on the AMP1

Any comments on this??
Looks like this is the way to do it, or?

[/img]
[/img]
[/img]
[/img]
[/img]
quoting for click free pics

·
Registered
253 Posts
Quick question about the door speakers...they are filtered for 0-400 hz? I was thinking of putting "caps" on mine to cut the bottom 80hz...they pop badly at decent volume with the bass 2/3...So do i just need new speakers and leave the caps out of the equation? I have a 12 in the trunk with the 6x9 "subs", so bass is not a problem. I would like to bring the soundstage forward a lil., though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
ctrlz said:
Can you post the pin numbers and ID's? I asume they are GND, L, and R. But in what order?
Assuming the pins are numbered from left to right and the OP uses the conventional colours it should be: 6 (gray) = right, 7 = (black) signal ground and 8 (green) = left.

Edit: on the pics, the black wire is connected to the shield, so that's ground for sure. If I got left and right wrong just swap them after installation :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
gfgf said:
Assuming the pins are numbered from left to right and the OP uses the conventional colours it should be: 6 (gray) = right, 7 = (black) signal ground and 8 (green) = left.
Can anyone confirm this?

This is a great idea... I am very interested in doing this. Would it be possible to do an instruction write-up for those of us who are less confident in mimicking photos?

·
Registered
615 Posts
93t said:

(he doesnt want his name exposed)

Thank you "X" ;)
I wish mister X would also let us know how to get the keypad working with a bluetooth or a cradle kit.

Any diagnostic-mode keystrokes would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts