SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so if anyone in the local GTA needs something done or scanned please let me know and i will arrange a time and day. i will be using the tech2 at my local dealer but i will be the owner of the saab software card. i am currently looking at purchasing one that supports 1998-2011 i believe.

let me know, thank you

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i wont reveal the price on here.

if anyone wants some work done or say their drl's turned off i'd be willing to do it for a fee

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
so if anyone in the local GTA needs something done or scanned please let me know and i will arrange a time and day. i will be using the tech2 at my local dealer but i will be the owner of the saab software card. i am currently looking at purchasing one that supports 1998-2011 i believe.

let me know, thank you
I would like the DRLs turned off. And possibly other changes. But my car is a 1997. Will that still work?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cant you just pull the fuse on an older model like that?

i can find out once i have it if it does support 96/97 models

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
cant you just pull the fuse on an older model like that?

i can find out once i have it if it does support 96/97 models
I don't know if pulling the fuse will make SID complain. In any case, it won't add functionality to the light switch.

I don't have anything against DRLs, but I'd rather not annoy the headlight bulbs when starting the car, nor draining the battery should I ever have to have the key on. Something that came to me when the alternator failed....crap, no way to turn the lights off, I better get to the shop post-haste!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that and everyone was getting annoyed that my hid's were on when i was at the drive in running the car so my battery didnt die : (

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would almost be willing to drive from Detroit to Toronto to get my DRLs turned off. All of the dealers around here say the software update took away their ability to do it.

May have to think on this a bit...

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I would almost be willing to drive from Detroit to Toronto to get my DRLs turned off. All of the dealers around here say the software update took away their ability to do it.

May have to think on this a bit...
Thats true, but if the dealer or the tech has access to tis2web and/or the software PC, they might have the older versions stored. If you can find 144 or earlier, you're golden

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
depends on what you want to do.

144 still allowed you to disable DRL, config comfort open/close and other stuff.

I know that 145 and above no longer have those options. Im sure that older versions have features that 144 no longer has. Not sure what they were since 144 did everything I needed to do

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Seems like Tech 2 devices are the critical element beyond parts to keep our cars going. Does GM use Tech 2's, if so, is this a viable option for those owners loosing stand-alone Saab dealers? In many instances Saab dealers are blended with other brands so it's likely they'll maintain Saab service.

If the T-2 is a Saab only device, it seems logical to have some sourcing to keep updates available. I'd guess the BK court will determine who is entitled to technology. Information that can't come too soon to calm nervous service-minded owners.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Seems like Tech 2 devices are the critical element beyond parts to keep our cars going. Does GM use Tech 2's, if so, is this a viable option for those owners loosing stand-alone Saab dealers? In many instances Saab dealers are blended with other brands so it's likely they'll maintain Saab service.

If the T-2 is a Saab only device, it seems logical to have some sourcing to keep updates available. I'd guess the BK court will determine who is entitled to technology. Information that can't come too soon to calm nervous service-minded owners.
Tech 2 is a generic scanner, several outside of GM use it. What makes it unique to saab and other gm-brands is the pcmcia card that houses the brand-specific diagnotics and so forth. Also unique to GM is Tis2web and GM dealerconnect, which allows security access to some components such as body and powertrain PIDs.

The remainder of GM dealers dont work on saab since they dont have the saab-specific components, i asked several callidac dealers and they were not going to invest in a death brand.

Many indys have t2, the problem for them is to get the newer release of the software to be able to work on post-08 cars, they are currently at 138 if my math works correctly since GM used to delay the release by 2 years, 146 is the latest one I saw at the local idiotic stealership, one release every quarter...

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Huh, I was thinking about finding some shop in the Detroit or Buffalo area to turn off my DRLs--guess that would be tough. The two local Toronto indy shops I inquired at both declined my request.

If you follow the Lake Erie shoreline it can be a fun drive. I drove down to Windsor over the holidays on Boxing Day. Would rather be driving with the lake to one side than going shopping.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i purhcased the pcmcia card. my local dealer is cool with me using their tech2 and i've used it several times already. once i have the card and test it on my car i will update this thread for anyone that needs changes.

just keep in mind that there will be a charge to keep my dealer and myself happy as we are the ones that will be doing this.

on a side note, i will not release the dealers name who is letting me use their equipment with my software so there is no liabilities involved.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Edt, could not get my DRL's turned off due to the update not allowing as stated. A prior post mentioned a Flint, MI indy that was a prior dealer that can do the turn-off. Search and read DRLs to find - maybe 6 months back?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
there was a few other forums, this one included that had full instructions for the tech2 on how to reprogram the light switch but it seems they have all been deleted. i cant even find the document i created with the info for it.

it seems my dealer will loan me out the tech 2 unit once i get the card to keep over night.

i will do everything to my car and document what can be changed so others know.

if anyone wants to know what works, please list your model number and what you want changed and i will look into that when i get the unit.

if all works out i will create a thread regarding reprogramming and options at a later date

·
Registered
569 Posts
Smug (price) and opportunistic (for a fee).
It's a free country, but this is a community of mostly friendly and transparent people. What harm could possibly come from telling us how much you paid? Others here are in the market and would no doubt like to benchmark the prices they find.
What was the point of telling us you bought this thing, other than to boast and/or profit?
Sorry if I am out of line, but I think community is built on transparency and sharing of knowledge...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts