SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t know which coilovers to go to with I know there are bc racing Megan racing d2 racing maptun I just need help which ones are the best I want a low look with it being kinda stiff so I don’t rub but not too stiff it’s my daily so ya anything helps thanks !

·
Registered
100 Posts
I guess I’ll ask the obvious question....why coilovers instead of a tried & proven combo of shocks & lowering springs? Have you searched through the threads of people that have done so to see what they used and the amount of lowering they achieved? I ask because parts not designed specifically for a given chassis will not ride well without extensive tweaking. The spring rates, damping, & rebound/compression will all be out of whack.

I’m not bashing coilovers, I own them (BC BR coilovers, not for this car). But I have seen ppl make a mid to upper tier product ride worse than something 1/3 the price when they don’t understand what they are doing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya I totally understand what you saying I am going for a way different look then most people on here I have looked at really tons of forms trust me I don’t wanna spend $1000 on coilovers lol but at this point there my best bet and I know tons of people who enjoy coilovers on there Saab’s I just need help picking which ones

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I’ll ask the obvious question....why coilovers instead of a tried & proven combo of shocks & lowering springs? Have you searched through the threads of people that have done so to see what they used and the amount of lowering they achieved? I ask because parts not designed specifically for a given chassis will not ride well without extensive tweaking. The spring rates, damping, & rebound/compression will all be out of whack.

I’m not bashing coilovers, I own them (BC BR coilovers, not for this car). But I have seen ppl make a mid to upper tier product ride worse than something 1/3 the price when they don’t understand what they are doing.
Also I have lowering springs right now that are 1.25 in front and 1 in back and if there shock and strut combo could work to make the ride more stiff then yes I would go with these https://offerup.co/uBguugXSIcb

·
Registered
100 Posts
You’re leaving out an important piece of the puzzle, which is the relationship between the rebound/compression damping and the spring rate. If these aren’t compatible you will have a ride quality on one extreme or the other due to shock and no spring contribution, or vice versa. I don’t have experience with coilovers for this chassis so I can’t help with specific examples. I would recommend that if you go that route regardless of brand be sure to buy a set that has height adjustment separate from spring preload & has adjustable rebound & compression damping. If done properly you can lower a car pretty significantly before compromising ride quality.

I’m not sure if the numbers you gave are the ride height adjustment of the springs or what but if you put lowering springs and are bottoming out then it means your lowering springs weren’t made for your Saab (incorrect spring rate or type of spring).

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I did the coilovers for this chassis and then the yellows you linked to. They are all gone now and I'm rolling with Bilstein B4's and stock aero springs. I yanked the yellows out because I got tired of feeling my tooth fillings rattle when driving over rough roads. The coilovers went bye bye because I got tired of taking EVERY single driveway and ramp at crazy angles to not scrape my front lip. I have the accessory body kit so it's even lower than the aero one. The B4's are a HUGE improvement over the stock Sachs struts that come with the car.

In all honesty, if I were to do it all again I would have went straight to the B4's, subframe brace, aero sway bars, and the GS strut brace. That really dials in the handling without totally sacrificing comfort.

Just go to Nick's site and throw your money at him since his home-brewed mods are positively phenomenal in tightening up a lot of the crappy bits in our cars. The subframe brace is glorious. So is the strut brace. And the other bits are a godsend. I have all of his toys on my 05 and it positively puts my bone stock 08 to shame.

I just did a full refresh on the suspension components on my 05 and the difference is night and day even compared to the same setup that was there before. New bushings, lower control arms, sway bar links (not dog poo ones), springs, and new B4's make the car drive way stiffer.

But if you live in an area where the roads are nice and smooth... The yellows would be nice. I've been all over the north east and the roads are atrocious.

·
Registered
2008 Saab 9-3 Aero FWD 6MT
148 Posts
You really need to do more research into spring rates, preload, corner balancing, etc. What you truly want to achieve as far as ride quality is something that many enthusiasts struggle to achieve with any coilover setup. Even with the best brand and the best alignment, there is so much more tweaking involved. Usually after people have to raise and lower the car about 10 times, they settle for a certain ride and height. My personal advice: if you want to retain your ride quality, B4s with springs; if you want adjustability for the track or a really specific height/look, get coilovers. Many of us have been pleasantly surprised about the B4s and springs. They are many other modifications that would probably improve your handling without sacrificing too much ride (and not cost so much).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You really need to do more research into spring rates, preload, corner balancing, etc. What you truly want to achieve as far as ride quality is something that many enthusiasts struggle to achieve with any coilover setup. Even with the best brand and the best alignment, there is so much more tweaking involved. Usually after people have to raise and lower the car about 10 times, they settle for a certain ride and height. My personal advice: if you want to retain your ride quality, B4s with springs; if you want adjustability for the track or a really specific height/look, get coilovers. Many of us have been pleasantly surprised about the B4s and springs. They are many other modifications that would probably improve your handling without sacrificing too much ride (and not cost so much).
sounds good so b4s strut and shocks and what lowering springs ? or springs i was thinking maybe b4s and h&r springs

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you could send some links that would be great

·
Registered
148 Posts
sounds good so b4s strut and shocks and what lowering springs ? or springs i was thinking maybe b4s and h&r springs
If you are non-Aero, you can do B4s and the stock Aero springs. If you want something lower, people usually prefer the Vogtland and H&R springs, but eSaabparts sells Maptun springs as well. You can piece together whatever setup you want, but eSaab does offer kits.

·
Registered
148 Posts
if you could send some links that would be great
Suspension Basics:
Corner Balancing: Corner Balancing — Trackspec Autosports
Spring Rates (racing application, but still useful): Are you overspringing your track car or race car? You might be. — tracktuned
Pre-Load: https://www.springrates.com/blog/how-to-adjust-suspension-preload/

Coilovers: These are usually the better quality coilovers people run.

Stock-style suspension:
esaabparts.com
eibach.com
vogtland.com
bilstein.com

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Suspension Basics:
Spring Rates (racing application, but still useful): Are you overspringing your track car or race car? You might be. — tracktuned

Stock-style suspension:
esaabparts.com
eibach.com
vogtland.com
bilstein.com
Thanks bro your the best !pro gonna do b4s and new springs I appreciate your help more then you know !!!

·
Registered
6,297 Posts

I bash cheap *** coilovers They are junk. Mostly made by HSD who are the largest in the world making junk. I run B6. B4 are okay but twin tube; B6 are better gas pressure monotube.. If you want a good coil over buy big bux: Penske. or Ohlins. Around 12k a set . But even Penske has succumbed to sourcing Chiwanese non viton seals, and failures are many.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Suspension Basics:

Stock-style suspension:
esaabparts.com
eibach.com
vogtland.com
bilstein.com
My only worry is that I am 18x9 so right now with my Megan springs I bottem out and my fender hits my tire and I need that to be fixed so I thought coilovers to tighten it up but b4-b6 might fix that I just need to know if they do

·
Registered
148 Posts
My only worry is that I am 18x9 so right now with my Megan springs I bottem out and my fender hits my tire and I need that to be fixed so I thought coilovers to tighten it up but b4-b6 might fix that I just need to know if they do
What is your offset? Struts and shocks won't help a ton unless you are rubbing when reaching the end of the stock compression. The Bilsteins could resist compressing as much as the current setup, but still have the same travel. So bumps in the road may not rub, but speed bumps, angled roads, or anything that requires a slow approach could. I don't really know enough about your car to judge that though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ya i only rub when hitting bumps it makes my car bounce alot making my fender hit my wheel my offset is 41

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What is your offset? Struts and shocks won't help a ton unless you are rubbing when reaching the end of the stock compression. The Bilsteins could resist compressing as much as the current setup, but still have the same travel. So bumps in the road may not rub, but speed bumps, angled roads, or anything that requires a slow approach could. I don't really know enough about your car to judge that though.
i dont mind if i scape on speed bumps or angled roads or anything

1 - 20 of 31 Posts