SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a few photos of the car with the Angel Eyes I recently installed. I also took some more photos of the whole car as requested (please excuse the dirty interior!)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! They are 90mm Morimoto xbALed angel eyes ordered from www.theretrofitsource.com. I mounted them behind the circular opening in the plastic housing inside the headlights, and wired them to turn on with the "cruising" lights; A european option which is activated with a Tech 2.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Congrats ;ol;

Not that my opinion counts to the "world at large" but this is the first car that has that flat look that I like and as soon as I heard Angel eyes I figured oh boy another gimmick like some guys around here with the pink neon fender well lighting.

Those are darned nice; the only "destructive" comment that I have now is that with the frog lights having the yellowish cast it would balance out visually more if the frogs were in the "white" side of the spectrum. Fogs, according to C&D or R&T when they were objectively tested years ago are teats on a boar hog and have minimal effect on how far you can see in fog so a whiter light probably matter.

A few questions?

- How do the angel light fare if compared to the "HID" lamps of the later Aero's. I love the white arc of the self leveling lights and they are the best I've ever had. How do they stack up against the stock lamps or the new higher performance? How many watts?

- How much and do you need modifications such as ballasts?

- What did that paint job cost and I thought I heard that they use corn starch to flatten the gloss or did I mix that up with another paint technique?

Great 9-5

Aside from that I like them and bought one for my daughter. Still pizzed because if not for price, my 9-3 would be the 9-5 Griffin Combi with manual I went nuts for and also the origins of the name is way cool. When they needed a name the designers decided that it was five times better than the old stuff so the name is in actual script expressed with a small elevated 5 as in math and chem; it's 9 to the 5'th power better. :cheesy:

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Always wondered what this would look like.

Looks DAMN GOOD! ;ol;

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
very tasteful mods!!!;ol;
I appreciate it man!

Always wondered what this would look like.

Looks DAMN GOOD! ;ol;
Thank you - I'm glad you like it!

Congrats ;ol;

Not that my opinion counts to the "world at large" but this is the first car that has that flat look that I like and as soon as I heard Angel eyes I figured oh boy another gimmick like some guys around here with the pink neon fender well lighting.

Those are darned nice; the only "destructive" comment that I have now is that with the frog lights having the yellowish cast it would balance out visually more if the frogs were in the "white" side of the spectrum. Fogs, according to C&D or R&T when they were objectively tested years ago are teats on a boar hog and have minimal effect on how far you can see in fog so a whiter light probably matter.

A few questions?

- How do the angel light fare if compared to the "HID" lamps of the later Aero's. I love the white arc of the self leveling lights and they are the best I've ever had. How do they stack up against the stock lamps or the new higher performance? How many watts?

- How much and do you need modifications such as ballasts?

- What did that paint job cost and I thought I heard that they use corn starch to flatten the gloss or did I mix that up with another paint technique?

Great 9-5

Aside from that I like them and bought one for my daughter. Still pizzed because if not for price, my 9-3 would be the 9-5 Griffin Combi with manual I went nuts for and also the origins of the name is way cool. When they needed a name the designers decided that it was five times better than the old stuff so the name is in actual script expressed with a small elevated 5 as in math and chem; it's 9 to the 5'th power better. :cheesy:
I'm glad you like the matte finish! It's not paint however, it's just wrapped with Hexis brand vinyl, the color is called Deep Matte Black. The Angel Eyes don't replace the stock headlights. They are mounted to the plastic housing which surrounds the factory projectors. The projector shroud has a silver ring around it which measures 70mm on the inside and 82mm on the outside. The Angel Eyes i installed are 90mm, and are designed as a flat ring; So there is a small gap between the outside of the projectors and the edge of the LED ring.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=14906

They are wired through a relay harness which has a fuse and grounding wires in order to avoid any electrical draw issues. I have LED's installed throughout the car, and used the tech 2 to change the ECU settings to accommodate for them so that I don't get any error messages.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nightshade and gloss paint i guess or a shiny film. whats the size of rim and how big are the spacers?
That's correct. The tail lights were done with one pretty thin coat of night shade. The stuff dries alot darker than it looks when you first spray it, so be careful! The wheels are 18x9" made by Raderwerks, and have a 5x112 bolt pattern. I had 1"adapter plates made to convert the 5x112 to mount on our 5x110; and used a grinder to shorten all of the lugs so they would sit flush under the edge of the adapters. Someday I want to find some comparable wheels which are custom made to 5x110; But these were $900 for all 4, whereas the custom wheels will run $3,000 - $4,000!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I guess my real question about the tail lights is did you spray the entire light with a light coat or did you do some part darker. I had mine all black and didn't like it but yours looks nice. Did you put a clear spray over it?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess my real question about the tail lights is did you spray the entire light with a light coat or did you do some part darker. I had mine all black and didn't like it but yours looks nice. Did you put a clear spray over it?
Glad you like them; I just laid both tail lights side by side on a piece of cardboard and did one even coat over the entire housings. No clear coat on top.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Glad you like them; I just laid both tail lights side by side on a piece of cardboard and did one even coat over the entire housings. No clear coat on top.
Cool maybe I'll give mine another shot. How did you take them off I had to tape everything off last time and that was such a pain. If you have a link or something that'd be awesome.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool maybe I'll give mine another shot. How did you take them off I had to tape everything off last time and that was such a pain. If you have a link or something that'd be awesome.
I think there are like 3 or 4 bolts behind the carpet inside the trunk liner with nuts that that you have to take off; Then you unplug the lights. I might be forgetting something, sorry I don't have any links!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
About this Discussion
54 Replies
28 Participants
Mimmi
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing