SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Brought my car (07' 9-3 Aero) in for inspection in May and it failed due to the check engine light being on. They hooked my car up to their Saab computer and a certified saab tech was unable to determine the cause of the check engine light. His theory was gas pump, some type of gas pressure sensor or a "glitch". They have reset the light a couple times now and had me drive the car through it's 'cycles' but each time the light pops back on after 10 miles or so.

Now for some history as to when this started happening... My car received it's 60k mile tune up earlier this year. Directly after the tuneup the light came on when the gas gauge read around quarter tank... I filled up the car and the light turned off after a little bit... I drove it down to about a quarter tank and the light came back on... refill and the light turned off. I did bring my car to the dealership for this but they again reset the light and asked me to drive it around and then follow up. Note my dealership is 40 miles from my home, 100 miles from my job and my dealership only services Saabs M-F 8-5 so eventually I gave up driving it back. So anyhow the light stayed on solid for nearly the whole month of April despite fill ups. That is when it failed inspection and they have been unable to determine the cause. To quickly note... the car itself performs beautifully and I don't feel any indication of a major faulty part. Idle is very smooth, acceleration is smooth, no issues with fuel mileage.

Has anyone experienced anything like this with their Saab? A few of my friends have a gas cap theory... claiming if I have the gas cap replaced it could solve this phantom check engine light nobody can seem to solve. Though the gas cap looks fine to me?

Thanks for your feedback!

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Yes. And why would you bring your car in for an inspection with the CEL on? Isn't that automatic failure?

It's probably your purge valve. The Saab tech should be able to tell you exactly what the code is an the flow chart to diagnose it. Sounds like you've got a questionable tech.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. And why would you bring your car in for an inspection with the CEL on? Isn't that automatic failure?

It's probably your purge valve. The Saab tech should be able to tell you exactly what the code is an the flow chart to diagnose it. Sounds like you've got a questionable tech.
I didn't expect to pass the inspection. Inspection from my dealership is free of charge. It was getting towards the end of the month so I had to bring it in. They give you a 2 month sticker when your car fails due to CEL.

Yeah I find it rather off the technicians are unable to determine the code to diagnose the problem. They claimed the code that is being displayed is very vague and hard to pinpoint an exact cause...

Purge valve? Hmm ok. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
435 Posts
You need to find out what the code is, and then search for it or call a few dealers and/or Indy's. My purge valve is throwing a code (455) but when I reset it, the CE light stays off for about a week of normal driving before it pops back on. I've been waiting to find a good deal on the valve and a new fuel pump before I drop the tank. Might as well do both while I'm there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
60,000 service

Hey,
So strange! I too got my 60,000 mile service done and the light came on. The check engine light never came on before! I have replaced the battery, taken the car in numerous times to have diagnosed. No one knows. So bizarre. They say could be the fuel pump, but the car starts right away. Have you had any more luck or information on this. It seems like it might have to do with the 60,000 mile service. I have the 2006 aero anniversary edition. Since I took it in the windows have acted differently(won't raise with one touch) and the key fob won't lower the convertible.
Thanks,
CactusMeow

·
Registered
909 Posts
It could be a cheap and easy fix that I just did, and now have more low end grunt, which I have not had since buying the car 2+ years ago then with 8K, now 103K

The TB has an O ring between the intake (which fits over the TB) and the outside of the TB.

They dry out and shrink over time, due to heat. It may or may not pull a CEL, but it is pulling air that is robbing power

It's $5 part. Granger may well have a replacement (seems to be the same diameter) comes in a pk of 10 for < $3 + shipping. Thought I has saved the page, but cannot find. Granger> O rings scroll through many pages until you find 2 1/4" D. I'm going to buy a pk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts