SaabCentral Forums banner

Perspective 9-5 owner

Tags
9-5
1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Jeremy R. 
#1 ·
Greetings Saab Central
I am looking at 2006-2009 9-5's after previously owning a 2001 9-3 and I have been looking at a few between 130k-150k miles. Any 9-5 owners out there I would appreciate sharing what sort of problems or repairs you encountered with 9-5's once they get over 130k miles.

#3 ·
The 9-5 suspension system has a lot more bushings front and rear, and they wear out.

The fuel pumps and particularly senders seem to be an issue on the later cars.

In general, the interior of the later 9-5s uses much cheaper and flimsier stuff than your OG9-3 did.

#4 ·
We got 2 saab 9-5's here are some parts I've had to replace over the past few years

• rear suspension
  • rear control arm bushings
  • sub frame bushes
  • engine and transmission mounts (both cars)
  • vacuum lines (both cars)
  • Any piece of plastic that you touch under the hood
  • Vacuum hard lines (both cars). Very common for them to snap at the check valves, now i just jb weld the new lines before I even install them.
  • Valve cover gasket (both cars)
  • Thermostat and coolant temp sensor (both cars)
  • Some wiring on the sedan started corroding, I don't know whats causing this
  • cup holder
  • backup sensors
  • power steering hose
  • replaced the surround on the rear deck speakers
  • Headlight leveling sensor

#5 ·
Owner of a 2006 9-5 2.3T wagon here, currently with 144K miles. Previously owned a 2004 ARC 2.3T sedan. I like my 2006 a lot. It has been really good to me. Purchased with around 80K miles. 64K miles later I can't recall a time it didn't start, even in harsh Minnesota winters sitting outside all day. I do have the fuel level sender issue where the gauge shows empty when I fill up, but it springs to life after about 20-30 miles, so I haven't bothered with it. If it gets worse, I may tackle it. Original transmission, turbo, and engine. Runs great. Paid $6000 for it in 2014...I'd say I've gotten my money's worth!

#6 ·
Mine hasn’t reached the mileage threshold that you mentioned but it has not had anything go wrong with it. Its an ‘08 with 106K miles on it. I do need to replace the valve cover gasket soon but the rest of the stuff done to it is wear and tear stuff or upgrades i have elected to do. Its been great...

#7 ·
At 106,000 miles it's just getting broken in. :)

I have a pair of 9-5s, a 2000 Aero wagon with 225,000 miles and a 2001 Aero sedan with 160,000 miles. Both of mine were sludge victims and needed engine work, but that won't be an issue with a 2006-2009 model. You'll also have the stronger front subframe bushings, which should last quite a bit longer than the flimsy 2002-2005 types. Other than those things, it's been the usual high mileage work, like struts, shocks, and front and rear suspension bushings. The climate control system in both cars has required quite a bit of work, too. I think they fixed a lot of the problems with that in 2006, but I'm not positive. The earlier ones suffered from broken stop arms, shafts, and motors. These are definitely cars that benefit from you being able to work on yourself, or else you could easily spend far more than the value of the car fixing little things. I'm happy with mine, and I'd buy another one if the right model came along.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.