SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Aero 9-5 Saloon in a manual and for a while I've been toying the idea of a performance upgrade, I've spoken to Abbotts and they are doing a BETA upgrade for £699 exc VAT and fitting which comprises of a cat-back exhaust, ECU upgrade and a performance air filter, they saying this would peek my performace to about 265Bhp with some notable difference.

I realise there a few other options available through PFS and , as well as Nordic and Maptun, so wanted to know within a reasonable budget what is the best upgrade which will result in an improvement in performance, and I have been told the exhaust will give the car a nice sporty tune which is something I also want to do to make the exhaust a little more audiable over the standard Aero.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
They quote 270bhp on their website :confused:

Why oh why cant they publish the torque figures :(

Nordic is 280 bhp but costs more (I think in the currency conversion)

Maptun 270 bhp a bit cheaper than Nordic (I think in the currency conversion) but its not a stainless exhaust...

BSR 275 bhp with stainless cat back and filter is about £90 dearer

Too many choices huh :roll:

Bearing in mind the supreme quality of the Abbott exhaust maybe thats the best deal :confused:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chris, Giles was trying to convince me to go for the complete exhaust system as oppossed to a cat back system for optiumal performance, what do you think worth it make alot of difference since they are quoting me £300 more.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Yes the down pipe and race cat remove a lot of restriction ;)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
Bearing in mind the supreme quality of the Abbott exhaust maybe thats the best deal :confused:
Best deal for me would be whoever has the track record of the best software......so Abbott wouldn't be at the top of my list no matter how 'cheap' the deal was.

Chris 9-5 said:
Maptun 270 bhp a bit cheaper than Nordic (I think in the currency conversion) but its not a stainless exhaust...
As I understand it Maptun give you the option at extra cost for the s/s Ferrita system (as Nordic) with any of their stage upgrades.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Tuners

It is difficult to pronounce who is the most reliable tuner ,not the software but
drivers blows engine i guess.
For the first stage take the best deal and if you keep tuning later you can make a compare.
From classic Sweden tuners,may be Nordic is more popular abroad than Maptun and have more representatives also.
I've been tried 3 different Nordic stages and one from Abbott-all work fine.
No experience with Maptun software ......yet:D.

Hey guys do you want to make a poll-what kind of tuned software have everybody,just to check which is most common?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
saabgeazer said:
Aeropilot, are you suggesting the Maptun is by far the best and most reliable system here?
No.

But my money would go to either Maptun or Nordic for the software.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
aeropilot said:
No.

But my money would go to either Maptun or Nordic for the software.
I dont disagree with Aeropilot at all here, my money has gone to (and will stay with) Nordic as you all know.

But it is important to find a tuner you can stick with and feel confident in.

I have never tried Abbott software :confused:

·
Banned
318 Posts
Hi,

I agree completely with "aeropilot" on this one.

If there are high quality exhausts available locally from Abbott, go with those. As for software, go with someone who has a clue as to what they're doing...

Best regards,

KK

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have the full Abbott 3" exhaust system that I purchased in spring 2007. The build quality is real nice but I have some comments that you should consider before purchasing that system.

First of all, the 3" system is not really 3" all the way through. It narrows down to 2.5" or less at the joint that connects the down pipe to the cat back portion of the exhaust.

Secondly, the all stainless system that should last for years comes with mild steel connecting flanges that were already rusted when I received the system. Whats the deal with that?? Where are the stainless flanges?

Third, make sure you drive a car with the full 3" system. Test it under a variety of normal driving conditions. I had the system on a 2004 9-5 Aero Sedan Automatic. As anyone with an auto knows, the engine spends alot of time in the 2-3k RPM range. Well the Abbott System in that RPM range creates a terrible low frequency droning noise. I complained to my vendor who contacted Abbott who said that yes we know its a problem and we are working on a fix. Well, the fix 5 months later was a new center muffler section. The new section was now 2.5" and had a slightly longer muffler. This muffled the frequency enough to satisfy me at the time. I then sold the 2004 to a family member but kept the exhaust system which I installed on my new 2007 9-5 Aero Sportcombi Auto. Well guess what, the damned drone is back and even worse than ever. With the Sportcombi there is no hiding that awful sound. My solution is the replace it with another(Simons) catback system which I have on order with GenuineSaab.

Please make certain that this is the system you really want and that the company you are dealing with really has your best interest as a customer at heart.

·
Banned
318 Posts
> SteveY: In that case, I can gladly recommend Ferrita's stainless exhausts. Admittedly, it too has mild steel flanges, but apart from that build quality is excellent. It has a 3" downpipe, then reduces to 2,5" from cat back.

Sound is fantastic, with a mild "rumble" at idle and lower speeds, gradually building to a nice roar at higher revs and WOT.

Best regards,

KK

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
SteveY said:
I had the system on a 2004 9-5 Aero Sedan Automatic. As anyone with an auto knows, the engine spends alot of time in the 2-3k RPM range. Well the Abbott System in that RPM range creates a terrible low frequency droning noise. I complained to my vendor who contacted Abbott who said that yes we know its a problem and we are working on a fix. Well, the fix 5 months later was a new center muffler section. The new section was now 2.5" and had a slightly longer muffler. This muffled the frequency enough to satisfy me at the time. I then sold the 2004 to a family member but kept the exhaust system which I installed on my new 2007 9-5 Aero Sportcombi Auto. Well guess what, the damned drone is back and even worse than ever. With the Sportcombi there is no hiding that awful sound. My solution is the replace it with another(Simons) catback system which I have on order with GenuineSaab.
Thats awful Steve :confused: What a nightmare!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Has anyone fitted the twin exit exhaust from Speedparts and there is one from JT for the 9-5, also how easy is it to attach the right hand side tailpipe?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've got the Abbott beta package on my 2001 2,3 eco and have had no problems with it at all. I did everything myself by courier as I live 500 miles away from them. The exhaust is very good and sounds good as well. My son also has an Abbott exhaust on his 9-3, but he did have an emissions problem, following a remap to 300bhp, which Abbott sorted out at no extra cost. So our experience with them has been good so far.

There is also a power and torque graph on their website.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
saabgeazer said:
Has anyone fitted the twin exit exhaust from and there is one from JT for the 9-5, also how easy is it to attach the right hand side tailpipe?
I have their 3" single exit and asked for a quote to move "up" to the twin exit.

So the y-piece, pipe and extra back box, fitted with a new cut out made - just £795 plus vat........:eek:

Even I had to say no to that, but I asked having heard the system on a 9-3 at Croft, it sounded awesome :p (but it was on a track and I was outside of the car)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry a typo, I made to my earlier post, has anyone fitted a Speedparts twin exit exhaust and how good is it compared with the rest.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts