SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm going to be needing some new tires soon, and I'm thinking about some really nice summer performance ones. Here is the list I have going for the tires I should choose from, feel free to say if some are crap, or if there are some new/different ones to try.

-BFGoodrich g-Force Sport, http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Sport&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=05ZR6GFSP&fromCompare1=yes&place=1

-Continental ContiSportContact, http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiSportContact&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=05VR6SPC&fromCompare1=yes&place=4

-Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+GS-D3&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=05YR6F1GSD3&fromCompare1=yes&place=6

-Continental ContiSportContact 2, http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiSportContact+2&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=05ZR6SPC2&fromCompare1=yes&place=8

-Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2, http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Exalto+PE2&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=05WR6PE2&fromCompare1=yes&place=10

Right now, the top ones on my list are the Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 and the Continental ContiSportContact 2. If you have run any of these tires, please tell me what you thought of them,

Thanks

·
Registered
956 Posts
i hate continental tires. i most likely will never own them ever again. i bought my car and it had continental contisport contacts and they were horrible. yes they were used when i got them but they still had plenty of tread left but had a broken belt (small bump)in one the tires and they handled like crap! horrible in rain and before winter came i got them the heck off my car! everyone else i know personally whos had them also did not like them. with you being in Milwaukee and winter approaching i hope your not planning on putting these summer tires on. if their gonna stay on all year get some good performance all seasons. i am very happy with my bridgestone potenza g009's. they handle great in dry and wet, and did pretty well in snow too.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sleet said:
i hate continental tires. i most likely will never own them ever again. i bought my car and it had continental contisport contacts and they were horrible. yes they were used when i got them but they still had plenty of tread left but had a broken belt (small bump)in one the tires and they handled like crap! horrible in rain and before winter came i got them the heck off my car! everyone else i know personally whos had them also did not like them. with you being in Milwaukee and winter approaching i hope your not planning on putting these summer tires on. if their gonna stay on all year get some good performance all seasons. i am very happy with my bridgestone potenza g009's. they handle great in dry and wet, and did pretty well in snow too.
I have a set of snow tires for the winter.

The reviews on the contisport contacts say almost the same thing you did, and I'm not really considering them much. But the contisport contact 2's are meant to replace the contisport contacts because they weren’t the best tires to begin with, and continental knows that.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I agree with sleet, must be an Ohio thing:cheesy: I have bridgestone potenza pole position all seasons and they seem very good. Mind you I'm sure a summer only tire would be better but they are a good tire and fairly priced.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Corn Cob said:
I agree with sleet, must be an Ohio thing:cheesy: I have bridgestone potenza pole position all seasons and they seem very good. Mind you I'm sure a summer only tire would be better but they are a good tire and fairly priced.
I see that the potenza's has good reviews, but I would like to sitck with a high performance summer sence I just bought a set of snow tires and wouldn't need all seasons.

·
Registered
933 Posts
If you have spare winter tires then I would get summer ones aswell I was just agreeing for the sake of agreeing.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
9-3sleeper said:
Hoosier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

I've heard Pirelli P Zero Neros aren't bad either. I know a guy that works at Tire Rack
Do you........ Want to hook me up?:cheesy:

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Seriously; if you want to spend $150+ per tire get Pilot Sports. They cannot be beat as far as performance goes (tied certainly; but not beat :cheesy: )

If you want to stay under $100 get the General Exclaim UHPs. For the price you won't get better than them.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
The BFG g-force sports are excellent for the money and surprisingly durable. They're three-season tires on my wife's car and have held up well for 2+ years.

Dry grip is good, wet grip is very good, and I've driven (carefully) in light slush with no problems when I waited too long to change over to snows.

I'm using a tire that's not on your list, the BFG Gforce KDW2, and these are excellent street performance tires -- among the best summer rubber I've ever driven. Dry grip is fantastic, wet grip is exceptional, but the main drawback is that they're noisy at exactly 38-42 mph. No joke. Sounds like a moaning ghost. The noise decreases if you're slower or faster than that speed, so there must be some sort of tread resonance.

Good luck whatever you decide!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
99Saabnut said:
Seriously; if you want to spend $150+ per tire get Pilot Sports. They cannot be beat as far as performance goes (tied certainly; but not beat :cheesy: )

If you want to stay under $100 get the General Exclaim UHPs. For the price you won't get better than them.
I would love the pilot sports, but the smallest size they come in is 17 inch (from what I see).

I think I might try the Yokohama AVS ES100's at $85 a pop.

G

·
mike saunders said:
The BFG g-force sports are excellent for the money and surprisingly durable. They're three-season tires on my wife's car and have held up well for 2+ years.

Dry grip is good, wet grip is very good, and I've driven (carefully) in light slush with no problems when I waited too long to change over to snows.

I'm using a tire that's not on your list, the BFG Gforce KDW2, and these are excellent street performance tires -- among the best summer rubber I've ever driven. Dry grip is fantastic, wet grip is exceptional, but the main drawback is that they're noisy at exactly 38-42 mph. No joke. Sounds like a moaning ghost. The noise decreases if you're slower or faster than that speed, so there must be some sort of tread resonance.

Agree! KDW2's are best tire for the money! I will buy again for sure on that one.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
white96850turbo said:
Do you........ Want to hook me up?:cheesy:
Hell, I'd like to hook myself up. :cheesy:

The Tire Rack started a new policy about a year ago that allowed only the employee and thier immediate family to get 2 sets of tires on a discount per year.

It sucks because I could've gotten all kinds of crazy nice tires for ridiculous prices.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
mike saunders said:

how much did these cost you for a set?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ice Man said:
Agree! KDW2's are best tire for the money! I will buy again for sure on that one.
I know the KDW2's are good, a friend had some on his Honda, but I feel like for $16 more per tire I should get the Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2's (feel like getting some thing different, and better). Or if I'm going on the cheaper end, like under $100, then the Yokohama AVS ES100's are the way to go but no one has said any thing about either of those tires.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts