SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, In my ongoing attempt to make keep my engine bay as cool as possible, I stumbled across this radiator online. Has anyone put a "performance" radiator in thier saab? It would look pretty nice under the hood, but I want functionality too.

Thanks for the input in advance.

Ben

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats true, but it does say it's compatible with Saab 9-3s.

There is another one on there too besides the stock cooler, that looks identical to the stock.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Have you tried running more water than antifreeze in your coolint mixture?(Just make sure you test it so that in will not freeze during winter) That with some redline water wetter and a lower temp termostate should achieve your goals and be far easyer on your wallet and be less time consuming.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I have never seen one overheat. Tried plenty of times but never had an issue. Even on the cars in the middle east. Running in 120f air temp. ;)

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Yeah, a buddy of mine had a high performance radiator on a stock Civic, albeit. He said he didn't really notice a difference...
You're better off pumping up the intercooler.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Corn Cob said:
Have you tried running more water than antifreeze in your coolint mixture?(Just make sure you test it so that in will not freeze during winter) That with some redline water wetter and a lower temp termostate should achieve your goals and be far easyer on your wallet and be less time consuming.
I do run a decent mix of water/ coolant, plus some redline water wetter.

I have also never seen my coolant temp go anywhere near a dangerous zone. I was just wondering if there was one that cooled even better but I guess it doesn't really have any point.

Thanks for the info.

·
Banned
736 Posts
doesnt water cool better than antifreeze, i thought i saw that somewhere.

·
Registered
106 Posts
jonny72888 said:
doesnt water cool better than antifreeze, i thought i saw that somewhere.
Yup yup, the thing is the antifreeze stops freezing (of course) and rusting.

The secret behind water wetter is that it lowers surface tension so that heat moves to the liquid easier.

·
Banned
736 Posts
Adrenaline406 said:
Yup yup, the thing is the antifreeze stops freezing (of course) and rusting.

The secret behind water wetter is that it lowers surface tension so that heat moves to the liquid easier.
oh, i wanted to know how that stuff works.
what i run is a 75/25 water to antifreeze mix. i think m going to get a block heater for the winter to see how that works out. http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_21428_-1

·
Registered
933 Posts
Have you tested your coolent mixture to see what its freezing point is? I would be curious to know what temp 75% water was good for. If you test it you may find that you have to get the block heater. If you test please let us all know.

·
Banned
736 Posts
Corn Cob said:
Have you tested your coolent mixture to see what its freezing point is? I would be curious to know what temp 75% water was good for. If you test it you may find that you have to get the block heater. If you test please let us all know.
ya, ill test it this weekend. i was just going to drain it and put the 50/50 in it for the winter.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Remember to ONLY use distilled water... That should be a gimme for everyone, but just making sure. All water is not created equal! Voss and Elsenham water (Sweden and the UK respectively) is by far the best drinking water EVER, and Distilled is the best bang for my buck in the states for drinking and driving purposes!

Sno

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
snoborderphx said:
Remember to ONLY use distilled water... That should be a gimme for everyone, but just making sure. All water is not created equal! Voss and Elsenham water (Sweden and the UK respectively) is by far the best drinking water EVER, and Distilled is the best bang for my buck in the states for drinking and driving purposes!

Sno
True true.

Distilled water has no minerals or any other sort of material in it, just straight H2O, which is actually not a conductor like regular water. Kinda wierd.

·
Registered
106 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
True true.

Distilled water has no minerals or any other sort of material in it, just straight H2O, which is actually not a conductor like regular water. Kinda wierd.
Haha yea i forgot about that, i remeber learning that back in chemistry and thought it was weird as hell...:cheesy:

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Adrenaline406 said:
Haha yea i forgot about that, i remeber learning that back in chemistry and thought it was weird as hell...:cheesy:
Yeah, in fact they use water at nuclear power plants to cool down the reactors (distilled of course). Physics is definitely not my department, but there's no denying that its fascinating. I am however surrounded by engineers seeing as how I'm at Purdue, so I may be a tad bit biased. :nono;

1 - 16 of 16 Posts