SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading numerous posts on this board for quite a long time while I've been looking at the 92X and other options. The thing that intrigues me about this board (and really the car industry and car "culture", too) is the focus on performance -- not just reasonable or adequate performance, but gut-busting, throw-your-head-back performance. No car seems to have enough power unless the ride borders on the latest thrill-ride at the amusement park. The advertising industry has been able to convince us that we should aspire to have "screamers" out there on the road with performance capabilities that would generally result in illegal or unsafe (or both) results. Come on, now -- how often does it really matter (if ever) whether it takes 6 seconds, 7 seconds, 8 seconds or whatever to go from 0 to 60? If you're a half second or a second faster, you've just got that much longer to wait at the stop light down the next block that you'll be racing towards. Obviously, we need reasonable acceleration for highway driving or for passing (2 lanes), but most of the talk here (and elsewhere) is WAY beyond that.

I'm making this point because I'm just about ready to purchase a 92X Linear -- AUTOMATIC, no less! It's got a nice look, Subaru time-tested durability, a few extra safety features, and -- like you knew I'd say -- plenty of power. (For reference, I've been driving a Subaru Forester for a few years.) Of course, it won't dust other "performance" cars -- whether they're the Aero, the 9-3, or other similar cars -- but I bet it will do virtually the same thing that any one of these other cars will do 99.99% of the time they are being used. And it will keep up with (and pass!!) a whole lot of other cars and trucks and provide decent fuel economy, decent comfort, and (for our vanity) pretty decent looks. And -- and this is a KEY issue -- this car currently has a very attractive purchase price. There are other uses for our money, after all.

To me, the extreme focus on performance is similar to the SUV "craze" over the past several years. Through effective marketing, the car industry convinced millions that they needed ever-more powerful and luxurious SUVs to cruise through Alaskan snow-covered wilderness, mountainous terrain, canyon country -- where somehow you received permission to trampel in these areas (it will never happen!!) and no one else did. Let's face it, the most aggressive off-roading the VAST majority of SUVs ever do is the occasional gravel parking lot at the kids' soccer field.

Part of my trouble may be looking to forums such as this (or even car magazines) for good, balanced reviews of different car features. It's not unexpected that most here will be car enthusiasts, so the details of performance (and other driving characteristics) are particularly interesting to talk about. Maybe some of the posters are indeed NASCAR or "Fast and Furious" wannabes -- but most drivers (99+%) are not. They just want to get from point A to point B in reasonable comfort, safety, style, and efficiency.

So, soon I'll be off to get my automatic Linear (HORRORS!). I'll keep up with the traffic just fine (whether it's moving at 50 or 70 mph), accelerate when I need to, pass when I need to without doing something too illegal or unsafe, and do so with pretty good style and still have a nice piece of change left in my pocket. That will come in handy for these gas prices!

All right gentlemen and ladies -- start your engines!

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you are concerned about efficency, you should look at a manual, an automatic will cost you more at the pump.

--Jeremy

Ps: NASCAR sucks.
Pss: I refuse to watch that movie, or is it movies now?.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Opinion

overhere-

Bulletin boards exist for people to share their opinions. That's the beauty of it. If you don't like what someone writes, keep moving. There is way too much information on this and other bulletin boards to get caught up on all the performance and techno babble out there.

Regarding the Linear automatic purchase, go for it. It will be a great car with the features that the most important driver -- YOU -- are looking for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeremy,

Thanks for the comment, but interestingly, the fuel economy for the AT is actually slightly higher than the manual -- probably because of the ratios in high gear (i.e., the engine rpm is somewhat lower at 65 mph with the AT than with the manual). Actual mileage would certainly depend on how the car is driven -- with AT or manual.

·
Registered
154 Posts
holy crap, you're right 23/29 auto, 22/29 manual. i would say it's the lower gears since it scored better on city.

--Jeremy

overhere said:
Jeremy,

Thanks for the comment, but interestingly, the fuel economy for the AT is actually slightly higher than the manual -- probably because of the ratios in high gear (i.e., the engine rpm is somewhat lower at 65 mph with the AT than with the manual). Actual mileage would certainly depend on how the car is driven -- with AT or manual.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
I have a 9-5 aero and my check engine light came on and the performance has been restricted to about what a base model would be. I have to say I was dissappointed and somewhat pissed off at first, but really it's not as bad as i thought it would be. I can keep up with traffic just fine, even gives me an excuse to rev the engine more and have some fun. The 65-80 overtake still happens in the blink of an eye, and I'm still getting 35 mpg cruising. I'd still have an Aero over a linear because of all the suspension goodies I get (yes I do use them :D ) and other little visual accents that I like, but power wise I could tolerate having less.

·
Registered
154 Posts
pretty much they have cars like the linear for people who don't care about performance, or over taking people on the high way before the second flash of the turn signal. I think the linear right now is one of the best values going on $18k for a somewhat loaded station wagon w/ awd.

At some point this month I am going to test drive both a linear and an aero, see if i really want to buck up the extra cash for more performance, that's the joy of having no kids ;). If i get a linear I would still have my tuned 900 turbo for weekend fun and a linear 9-2x for getting daily driving and other wagon related tasks. A linear would also free up money for keeping that old beast of mine on the road... *rubs hands together*

--Jeremy

Raven18940 said:
I have a 9-5 aero and my check engine light came on and the performance has been restricted to about what a base model would be. I have to say I was dissappointed and somewhat pissed off at first, but really it's not as bad as i thought it would be. I can keep up with traffic just fine, even gives me an excuse to rev the engine more and have some fun. The 65-80 overtake still happens in the blink of an eye, and I'm still getting 35 mpg cruising. I'd still have an Aero over a linear because of all the suspension goodies I get (yes I do use them :D ) and other little visual accents that I like, but power wise I could tolerate having less.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts