SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New in this forum.... I called K&N FILTERS., no filters available for 2004 or 2005... ITG filters are not suggested because they use oil in their foam.... I am in Canada by the way

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
The "performance" difference is negligable. Don't bother. The only real difference will be noise !!.
And there is an ongoing, never to be finished, debate as to whether or not the special filters are as good as the originals as far as "filtering" is concerned.
Had gone ITG myself and replaced it today by the original after 6,000 miles.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Welcome on this forum StefARC...may be I'll see you on Métropolitain , or 15 in Rush Hour!...

Congrats with your car! Where do you buy it?

Charles

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bonjour Chuck85122, probablement sur la 15, car j'habite pas tres loin de toi....... I bought it at Mondial Saab on Papineau street.. love it so far..... mine is silver with a roof rack.... it give it a special look..!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
StefARC said:
New in this forum.... I called K&N FILTERS., no filters available for 2004 or 2005... ITG filters are not suggested because they use oil in their foam.... I am in Canada by the way

StefARC

I am currently using JR filter in my 9-3SS. There is no significant "extra" noise as indicated by another poster to your post. ITG filters are fine, the oil they use is like the oil they use in K&N or JR. ITG has been used in Audi's, BMW's, and other makes. I don't think you have to worry too much there. Anyway, it does not give you any extra "performance", but it does help in improving the gas mileage a little, and maybe a wee bit more responsive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was told that k&n filters are bad with tubro engines because the oil gets into the throtle body and debris gets in the tb making you have to clean it all the time I am new to this fourm so I dont know what open filters are out there but k&n should be the last choice

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I heard that too, but every time I go to a car show nearly all the turbo'd cars I see have K&N filters installed... hell, just to be sure, I stopped into Rennen, which is our local VW tuning shop (they've dealt with 100's of engine swaps and turbo upgrades) and they said differences between cone filters are negligable. I asked them what they use on their customer's cars and they just showed me a bunch of generic knock-offs.

I used to have a generic cone filter in my 9-3, but the cheap metal started to rust and it looked pretty dirty, so I bought a gigantic K&N cone filter on Ebay for about $35 shipped (brand new, in box), which is much better than what you'd normally pay in a retail chain. It looks better than the APC-ricer bit I had in before...

... I also heard that the tests you see regarding filtration are a bunch of BS because even though one company may filter less than another, the numbers are still incredibly close. They just doctor the charts to make the difference seem drastic and 'dangerous!'

·
Registered
533 Posts
StefARC said:
Bonjour Chuck85122, probablement sur la 15, car j'habite pas tres loin de toi....... I bought it at Mondial Saab on Papineau street.. love it so far..... mine is silver with a roof rack.... it give it a special look..!
Ok pour la 15...Laval ou laurentide?

And for the roof rack, what model are you using? Did you installed it in the special place long of the roof (ancrage)?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
15 , 640 est....! rack thule for saab sur ancrage et suppport a velo SportRack (fourche..!) I just got my car back, have my windows tinted this week. It looks great. 50% on the side and 80% rear window.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts