SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 83 900 8v non turbo is going to need exhaust this year i am just wondering if there are any header/exhaust options ether aftermarket or a stock alternative and are there any other performance options for that motor and i know a turbo is the most popular option but i want to do this motor

jerry

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
Maybe an aluminum flywheel and some cam work to make it wind up faster.
One thing with the NA 8v exhaust, you really need the back pressure so unlike a turbo, you can't just open it up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you ever do any upgrades to your 8v jerry? I have an 8v myself and was considering a few upgrades lookong to see how other people got on

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm a fellow North American 8V owner here--also challenged by limited performance options.

I've given up on searching for power under the hood and decided to have fun with suspension and dynamics and exhaust.

When the old girl finally winds up, I just find myself using the brake a lot less...

What I've learned about suspension: Go for both shock and springs--and get something decent like Bilsteins or KYBs (my friend works for Sachs and said there were the OE supplier). I was advised against installing a sway bar on my '79 (my local shop owner tried it previously--his feedback was that it chewed up tires). Firm up the ride (don't forget performance bushings) throughout make a difference on smooth roads. However in a city where I live full of potholes I think it really just rattles my fillings loose in my teeth...

What I'd like do with exhaust: I'd like to go straight pipe since exhaust headers don't seem to be an option but I've also heard these 8V motors need the compression. My muffler is full of holes and my wife and kids can here my coming for miles... So I'm not too concerned about the extra dBs or annoying my neighbors--we all drive vintage cars and bikes. What does this group think about straight pipe? Cat was removed by previous owner. It has a resonator but the muffler is (looks like a Cherry Bomb).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts