SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 482 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I was wondering if we reached a consensus about what the best all round clutch is.

I have the opportunity to buy a 2008 Aero 6mt FWD and would like to buy a stage 0/1 upgrade to it. I'm in California with 91 octane so the boost should be dialed back a bit. I don't plan on pushing the power any further than that. However my driving style has a lot of freeway top gear WOT (love effortless torque) which as I hear is harder on the clutch. The clutch should be quiet and not a bear to push in traffic.

If I buy this car I either want to buy the best clutch/flywheel money can buy for daily driving a modded ECU or maybe i should see about getting a TX 280hp tune instead of the 3xxhp & "gobs" of torque tunes out there and stick with the stock clutch/flywheel set up.

Yes I am familiar with the search function on the forum but considering the money riding on this purchase I thought it wise to get my specific needs out in the open.

Anyone with a modified ecu please feel free provide a update on your clutch experience here, I'd like to hear your story.

Thanks

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have the JZW stage 3+ tune with a new standard flywheel and uprated sachs clutch and after 3k miles i have no problems whatsoever
That's the clutch I have and 30k miles on the clutch, it's rattling and slipping. I have a new DMF and a spec stage 3+ sitting in my closet waiting to go in.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wardak,
What stage tuning are you at? Who's your tuner? What is your driving style/commute like?

I put on 30k per year on the highway so I'm looking for the most bulletproof way to handle long term, with just the ecu mod.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Wardak,
What stage tuning are you at? Who's your tuner? What is your driving style/commute like?

I put on 30k per year on the highway so I'm looking for the most bulletproof way to handle long term, with just the ecu mod.
I'm at a stage 3 tune with John. I daily drive my car normally but once in a while I do get spirited. Track the car only a couple times at the drag strip per year. Otherwise, at the track is the only time i launch it at 3000 rpm.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The best clutch is the clutch masters fx850. Hands down. But its $3300 for clutch and flywheel.
That certainly is some serious cash. It comes with a flywheel? A DMF flywheel? How many folks have dropped the coin on this? If it feels and sounds natural then its probably the silver bullet to my question. It's probably a value adder when selling to another enthusiast down the road. I'd probably pay $1000 more for the car if the seller produced the receipts for it.

I'm of the mind set that if I ever have to swap a clutch or flywheel on a car, spend the money to make sure you never have to worry about it again. Dropping the transmission twice or three times is the biggest preventable waste of time and money I can think of on a car.

·
Registered
954 Posts
The best clutch is the clutch masters fx850. Hands down. But its $3300 for clutch and flywheel.
Lol! Ok what's the 2nd & 3rd best :lol:

Got a hungry dog, rabbit & 2 new hamsters to feed here so $3+k is out! Plus a missis who loves shopping so I'm skint! Anything around the $800-$1,000 bracket ;)

·
Registered
954 Posts
I'm not too clued up on this stuff mate, is that the full thing so includes the DMF? Or is that a solid flywheel?

Any idea how much torque that'll take?

·
Registered
315 Posts
That's the clutch I have and 30k miles on the clutch, it's rattling and slipping. I have a new DMF and a spec stage 3+ sitting in my closet waiting to go in.
not to rain on your parade but spec lasts about the same. I got my installed last June and its already slipping. I"m at stage 3+ jzw.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Maybe it has to do with my driving habits, but I'm at 61k on the stock clutch (JZW stage 1 at 45k and stage 3 at 50k) and I've never had problems with the clutch. It is still tight and never slips. I've driven nothing but manual cars my whole life and have had clutches go before, so I know what it feels like, yet my Aero has exhibited none of these behaviors to date. (Knock on wood, I guess).

1 - 20 of 482 Posts