SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having followed Ctrl-z's suggestion, I have ordered a pair of Image Dynamics CX62 6.5" mid-bass speakers to replace the stock door speakers.

Only problem is that CarDomain.com, the only authorized Image Dynamics Internet retailer, has them on factory backorder. I have placed the order as I do not need them until the second week of July: the family will be back East and I will have time to do the install.

CarDomain is hopeful they will have the speakers to me by then, but my window of opportunity is narrow and I need a backup. Therefore,

QUESTION FOR POSTED REPLY: what other 6.5" door speaker replacements have people installed, where they have found the mounts to be a perfect fit?

THANKS!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Since Saab is Swedish (Euro)...I would look into MB Quart & Rainbow components...since they are German (Euro)...they may have the same mount pattern. I'll know for sure in a few weeks if I decide to install my MB Quarts or buy a different set of components.

·
Registered
203 Posts
QUESTION FOR POSTED REPLY: what other 6.5" door speaker replacements have people installed, where they have found the mounts to be a perfect fit?

Well see the pics, I installed Hertz HV 165 and they fitted perfectly but 2 remarks:
- I installed an aditional AMP under the seat so I could use 4 Ohms speakers instead of 2 Ohms units you must fit.
You MUST assy 2 Ohms spkrs or they will have not enough power. You can look for them but think about this is the IMPEDANCE, result of the Resistor + Reel.
- I did not use any plastic ring because I didn't have it in my ES1/4 "sound system" :x . So the speakers fitted perfectly but if so take care to drill the 4 speaker fixings in order to avoid the possibility of breaking the plastic turrets in the door pannel.

In the pics you will see the fixing area (you don't have to cut anything), the speaker once installed and the modifications the people did to use the original ring with the Image Dynamics.

I have a guide step-by-step which you could partially use to remove the pannel&trims. If you want it send me a PM with your e-mail. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
finwake said:
Only problem is that CarDomain.com, the only authorized Image Dynamics Internet retailer, has them on factory backorder. I have placed the order as I do not need them until the second week of July: the family will be back East and I will have time to do the install.
I got mine here. They say they are in-stock.

·
Super Moderator
20,247 Posts
I also got mine from infinite car audio thanks to Ctrlz. But if I remember correctly, they were about $30 cheaper back then....

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Diggs said:
I also got mine from infinite car audio thanks to Ctrlz. But if I remember correctly, they were about $30 cheaper back then....
Great memory. I got my receipt right here. $159 back then.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Wow! The Image Dynmics speakers look very well made. Do they really tighten up the bass that much? Is there any lower frequency extension from the stock speakers?

Instead of going with the only 6 1/2" around has anyone thought of doing this?

I was thinking of replacing my stock 6 1/2" with a 4 ohm set, but also wiring them in parallel with a new pair of 4 ohm 6X9 speakers in the rear. That would achieve the 2 ohm rating, while giving you the ability to move more air for bass. IMO,cheaper and simpler than installing another amp in my 7/150 system... but still not optimal.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
ScoopSS said:
iD is really high end audio...these really need more power than the stock amp to shine...
While they can certainly handle more power they will outperform the stock speaker running on stock power hands-down. To prove this, just install one speaker. Then live with the car for a few days shifting the balance from left to right and see what you think.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
black_linear said:
Wow
I was thinking of replacing my stock 6 1/2" with a 4 ohm set, but also wiring them in parallel with a new pair of 4 ohm 6X9 speakers in the rear. That would achieve the 2 ohm rating, while giving you the ability to move more air for bass. IMO,cheaper and simpler than installing another amp in my 7/150 system... but still not optimal.
This "cheat" will not work. Yes, you will achieve an overall impedance of 2 ohms, but the two 4-ohm speakers wired in parallel will each play half as loud as before.

Not what you want.

4 ohm resistors wired with 4 ohm speakers will similarly cut the volume to those speakers. In that case, part of your amplifier power is making heat (in the resistor). Again, not what you want.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I disagree

Yes it is true that that the speakers will recieve less power but not because of heat loss. For example if an amplifier produces 40 watts at 2 ohm and you hook up 2 4 ohm speakers in parrallel the amp will see a 2 ohm load and each 4 ohm speaker will get 20 watts. This might not be a bad idea because these spaekers will see 250 hz and lower frequences which are not as directional and 4 spaekers can handle Saab's attempt at bass boosting much more easily.

Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
20,247 Posts
Speaking of speakers. Does anyone know of a company that makes a decent 6x9 midbass driver? Don't need coax/triax/whatever since the signal will come from the doors. Don't want to pay extra for it either and want something the developer designed with this purpose in mind. Only thing I've found is a few component sets, but they're obviously too expensive and have extra parts I don't need.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
ctrlz said:
While they can certainly handle more power they will outperform the stock speaker running on stock power hands-down. To prove this, just install one speaker. Then live with the car for a few days shifting the balance from left to right and see what you think.
This is correct. And yes they are a high end item. They will suck all the power that little IC chip can throw out.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
GJP said:
I disagree

Yes it is true that that the speakers will recieve less power but not because of heat loss.
I was offering two separate scenarios.

In the first, two 4 ohm speakers are wired in parallel to give a 2 ohm total load. Each speaker will receive half the power.

In the second, a single 4 ohm speaker is parallel wired with a 4 ohm power resistor. Again, total load is 2 ohms. In this case the speaker plays at half volume and the resistor makes heat.

Both of these work-arounds have been suggested here as a solution to replacing the 2 ohm door speakers. The same ideas get batted around. Unfortunately, neither solution is a substitute for a 2 ohm speaker.

·
Registered
635 Posts
if you have power through the car, you can setup a 4ohm setup relatively easily.

just splice the wire going to the door speakers from amp1. use the end coming from amp1 to LOC. Set up an amp next to it. hook up the other end of the wire we spliced (going to the speakers) to the amps output...that way you got a 4ohm setup relatively easily.

anyone know which 4ohm will fit? I think i want to do this lol.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
black_linear said:
Has anyone thought about using the Infinity Kappa 6 1/2" speakers? They are two ohms and have terrific sensivity rating of 94 dB. I know having a 2 way is kinda a waste but they can be found for around $150.
I'm not aware of these. If they are really 2 ohm impedance they would be an option to the Image Dynamics CX62. Unfortunately I can't check the link because of web filtering here at work.

In addition to the 2 ohm problem, there is a problem with 6.5" speakers not being the same diameter. The ID CX62's fit the diameter of the Saab speaker mounting ring exactly. Part of the backside of the ring must be cut, but the holes line up perfectly. Other 6.5" speakers may be slightly larger or smaller. If Infinity now makes a 2 ohm 6.5" speaker it is worth trying. Beware of the depth of the magnet when trying this, as the window may rub the speaker. Check this before you re-assemble things.

·
Registered
32 Posts
6.5" speakers

Assuming they measure specs in a similar manner it appears the CX62 is slightly larger. Mounting depth is 3" vs 2 3/16" for the infinity. Cutout size is also larger 5.5" vs 5"

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
lutkin said:
Assuming they measure specs in a similar manner it appears the CX62 is slightly larger. Mounting depth is 3" vs 2 3/16" for the infinity. Cutout size is also larger 5.5" vs 5"
These are worth trying. Nice to see more 2 ohm units available.

Mounting depth should offer less interference clearing the window. It's a tight fit with the CX62's. The mounting diameter may present problems. They don't offer a template in the Infinity on-line manual. At least I couldn't find it.

The Saab mount is a plastic spacer attached to the door with three torx bolts. It sets the speaker out approx. 3/4". The speaker mounts to the spacer ring with four screws. The screws are configured in a square and are spaced 4.3" apart. If the Infinity speakers are too big for the ring you may run into clearance issues with the interior door panel, though I believe you might be able to remove a bit of plastic on that if needed.

If you need to cut plastic trim pieces be careful. Saab uses a lot of POM (poly-oxymethylene) which is brittle and resistant to solvent glues. You are better off filing, sanding, or grinding it than cutting it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts