SaabCentral Forums banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
I would erase them. It may set on it's own, but it would take a long time. Erasing codes (even if there are none) forces the computer to rerun the monitor checks immediately.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hello it was guite a while, but I hope you still remember my case. Last time I reported that i replaced cat converter or the entire front section of the exhaust. After instalation I erased Po 420 and started driving mostly on highway relatively short trips about 8 miles one way. All the monitors except cat became ready in relatively short time. But now after about 600 miles I still have cat monitor "INC". There is no errors and car drives very well. I already missed emission due-date by 1 month. I have no idea what is wrong and what else can be done. I desperately need some help

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
If I remember I just had to turn connector 180 degree and made some adjustment to the plastic part to be able to lock it. As I wrote before after that eventually all monitors were ready and only error, which showed up, was P0420. Then I decided to replace CAT. After doing that I erased computer and starting cycles again.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Not-ready only. Since I installed new cat there was no errors . Now more than 600 miles later I have 1 ONE not- ready. And it is Cat monitor not ready.

·
Registered
9,076 Posts
If you have a Tech II or real time ODB II reader, you can see the O2 sensor 1 and 2 voltages. 1 should fluctuate, 2 should stay flat.

That's a lot of driving you've done. I assume it's varied: some highway, some city, some starts, etc.

Hopefully it doesn't pop up a catalyst efficiency code after all that.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
It may be operating within spec but not within parameters to set the readiness. Anything from the signal output to the heater performance could be the issue. You do need to monitor the sensor - maybe even both sensors - to see where the issue is. Are you still running that crappy aftermarket O2 sensor?

Remember that readiness monitors are not about distance... They are about specific scenarios like idling, cold starts, acceleration, etc.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
If you have a Tech II or real time ODB II reader, you can see the O2 sensor 1 and 2 voltages. 1 should fluctuate, 2 should stay flat.

That's a lot of driving you've done. I assume it's varied: some highway, some city, some starts, etc.

Hopefully it doesn't pop up a catalyst efficiency code after all that.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Unfortunately I do have basic OBD II reader. Can I rent more advanced one? All miles are mostly from highways and from short trips, about 8miles one way, always from the comletely cold engine. But there were also short distance sity driving

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
It may be operating within spec but not within parameters to set the readiness. Anything from the signal output to the heater performance could be the issue. You do need to monitor the sensor - maybe even both sensors - to see where the issue is. Are you still running that crappy aftermarket O2 sensor?

Remember that readiness monitors are not about distance... They are about specific scenarios like idling, cold starts, acceleration, etc.
Yes, I still have the same aftermarket O2 sensor. My understanding was that for the catalytic converter really important is driving at the 55 mph on the highway and that was what i really was doing.
This is from GM recommendation
7. Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Not sure where that came from, but that's not what I would expect. There needs to be varied driving, varied use of throttle, etc. to set the monitor. Usually the thing needed to set the cat monitor is several pulls from 20-50 and some cruising then deceleration. There's a thread recently where I discussed typical approaches to setting readiness monitors. Cruising at 55mph is PART of the requirement, but not the full requirement. And if it's been 600 miles I'd almost guarantee you'll eventually see a check engine light for something.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Not sure where that came from, but that's not what I would expect. There needs to be varied driving, varied use of throttle, etc. to set the monitor. Usually the thing needed to set the cat monitor is several pulls from 20-50 and some cruising then deceleration. There's a thread recently where I discussed typical approaches to setting readiness monitors. Cruising at 55mph is PART of the requirement, but not the full requirement. And if it's been 600 miles I'd almost guarantee you'll eventually see a check engine light for something.
Somebody on this forum recommended GM driving cycle. Here is the link
On the highway I mostly followed point 7, mostly because all other systems were quickly ready Only Cat monitor was not ready. But I believe that I passed through all theses 8 points many times.
I know that my state delayed duedates for emission and registration for 90 days. So I still have time to drive more.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
That drive cycle applies to some GM cars, but definitely not Saabs. Even still, I am not sure why you have isolated on point 7.. a drive cycle is a "package" of activities, not a specific activity. Setting the monitors requires completing some quantity of drive cycles.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I am sure that I covered entire package in quantity of cycles and miles exceeding recommendations. I also followed some other recommendations which i found on the web. For example idle the parked car till it worms up, than at 3500 rpm for 5 minutes and than idle again. As I said I will be still running and building up miles and trips but would prefer to have more specific plan

41 - 60 of 64 Posts