SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My OBD2 shows p1141 and incomplete catalyst monitor. There is no check engine now. So I assumed is pending. Before I was replacing second O2 sensor, didn't noticed that connector in new one is different and in effect had check engine and p1141. After finding the problem check engine disappeared, BY ITSELF, but scanner still shows it. During all this time I had and still have incomplete catalyst monitor which is from the old repairs. My due date for state inspection is approaching and I have to speed up the process of clearing all this mess. I had problems with P0420 before used some cat cleaners and eventually replaced both sensors. And car drives smoothly without any visible problems and even millage did improved.
I found on some forum (not Saab), that pending error can delay testing monitors and it takes 40 correct cycles to clear pending error from memory. Can I just erase that error to speed up this process? Also instead of driving 55mph on the highway for 5 minutes can I just run the engine at the high RPM at the parking lot, or any other deserted spot? As I said my emission test is approaching quickly and I am becoming nervous. So any help how to speed up this problem will be appreciated

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you,
I just cleared, didn't run the engine and now I have 4 monitors not ready.

·
Registered
725 Posts
you could also disconnect the battery and step on the brake to de-energize everything wait a few then reconnect that should clear it , then you would only need a cycle to set all the monitors

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is practically what I have done using scanner. But I had this catalyst monitor INC for a long long time. The question is was this pending error blocking the system from from testing this monitor or not. Or, will this help me in getting system ready for the emission test or will delay it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After clearing pending P1141, I had originally 4 monitors incomplete. Very soon it was reduce just to one CATALYST MONITOR incomplete. Since erasing i made at least 7 trips on highway (total about 150 Miles) each at more 70 miles/h with rpm above 3500 ( I run on 4th gear to keep rpm higher). But I am bypassing AC condenser. I wonder if this can have effect on time of testing?
My emission test is close. Please help

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
The catalyst monitor can take FOREVER to complete. You can search on "Saab odb 2 readiness" and see if there's a driving regimen that can speed it up.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
A P1141 is a B1S2 error... You will probably never get the cat monitoring to set while this code is on the table. Check the second O2 sensor wiring, the voltage on the heater circuit, and resistance across the sensor heater. Something is likely out of spec, keeping the code pending, the sensor unstable, and the monitor unable to set.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I most likely didn't explain correctly origin of my problem. I had errors related to catalytic convertor before. Than I was replacing first second O2 sensor than first. The second had different connector and in effect was connected incorrectly. That most likely triggered P1141. When I figured out that connector was different and corrected it, check engine light went away. But, while scanning with OBD2 it was still showing P1141 and incomplete catalyst monitor. I assumed that this error was "pending" . Then in order to speed up testing incomplete monitor I erased P1141. Since than my scanner is not showing any new errors, but Catalyst monitor is still incomplete.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The catalyst monitor can take FOREVER to complete. You can search on "Saab odb 2 readiness" and see if there's a driving regimen that can speed it up.
I substantially exceeded driving regimen as specified by GENERAL MOTORS OBD II "Drive Cycle" And as I already mentioned only Catalyst Monitor is not complete now.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
The GM drive cycle doesn't apply to Saab, totally different ECM.

If the monitor isn't setting it's mostly likely because there is a sensor reading that is preventing it from setting - a condition that isn't being met. For the evap to set, for example, the fuel tank has to be in a specific range, the ambient temp has to be in a certain range, and IIRC a certain number of seconds has to have passed since the car was shut down and restarted.

I don't know what the conditions are for the cat, but generally speaking the monitor sets within 40 miles or so. If it's not setting, I would check sensor data and be sure things make sense, especially the O2 sensor as I noted above. In my experience with numerous cars, not just Saab, problematic monitors are the result of sensors not producing readings that allow the monitors to set. Did you check the heater circuit, the wiring, and the readings from it? FWIW I had problems getting my Viggen's cat monitor to set and the problem turned out to be the MAF ... Live data showed it was returning crazy readings.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can only say that I got GM drive cycle specs from this forum and they supposed to apply to my year and my model. I have new O2 sensors and no any errors after more than 150 miles since clearing.
How I can get live data ?

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
You need an OBDII tool that can show it.

Bear in mind once a monitor is set it won't unset unless you clear codes. What that can mean is that conditions were met a long time ago, but cannot be met now. There can be problems that will prevent a monitor from setting but won't necessarily trip a CEL ... A lot of MAF and evap codes are like that.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Jeremy,
I do have simple OBDII scanner. Is that enough to show it? In the past I didn't have problems with MAF or EVAP (at least not recently. But I had errors related to Cat and O2 sensors. The last error which my OBD was showing was p1141. I think that this problem was trigger by different connector on the new O2 sensor. I believe that I fix it already. And Car is running perfectly has much better milleage (as showing on SID) than before.Have no idea what to do next.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
I can't tell you what your scanner can do... You'd need to read it's manual or look around in menus.

The O2 sensor doesn't care about its connector... It only cares its four wires get back to the right terminals at the ECM.

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
I substantially exceeded driving regimen as specified by GENERAL MOTORS OBD II "Drive Cycle" And as I already mentioned only Catalyst Monitor is not complete now.
When I had to get all monitors set after reinstalling the battery on my T7 9-5, I went for a drive. Some was slow, some was fast. There were a few restarts. The monitor only set after about 400 km (250 miles) and six or seven hours of driving.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can't tell you what your scanner can do... You'd need to read it's manual or look around in menus.

The O2 sensor doesn't care about its connector... It only cares its four wires get back to the right terminals at the ECM.
My scanner can read errors identify monitors (ready/not ready/ not available) and store freezing frame for the erors. My problem with the original connector was just that was connecting terminals in reverse order. Also didn't lock correctly. When I figure it out Check Engine was not any more. But the error was still in freezing frame

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
What you're describing with the O2 sensor connector really doesn't make sense. How did they get in reverse order? Why wasn't it a problem for X years before?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What you're describing with the O2 sensor connector really doesn't make sense. How did they get in reverse order? Why it a problem for X years before?
As I was explaining before I was installing new O2 sensors. The new one had different connector than original which I didn't notice at the begining.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts