SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay fellas, Today we ran a dyno test and I wanted to see the numbers with Stage 1. Sorry my scanner not working at the moment but i;ll type the info anyways.

First Dyno Run

Peak Torque 231.7 ft-lb
Peak Power 172.9 Hp @ 5950 RPM

Second Dyno Run

Peak Torque 245.9 ft-lb
Peak Power 178.7 @ 4950 RPM

My friend explained to me that that's about 220 hp at the crank, but i need to be certain how to calculate the ammout between the at wheels vs at crank??

·
Registered
691 Posts
at the crank you have to put around 15% more then at the weel...

Its not 100% true but its give a good idea

Exemple from mpperformance . com

Chris Tapp has developed a name as one of the top tuners in the world, and we are now pleased to bring his expertise available to all Saab owners looking to boost there performance with our Stage One 9-3ss tune of 232hp and 262 ft/lbs torque at the wheels or 266hp and 301 ft/lbs torque at the crank.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yeah that looks right. Probably like 210hp at the crank and 289 lb/ft. Those numbers look good for your elevation. Probably would be 5% higher here in Ohio? I'd like to get my Linear on the dyno with my stage 2 Nordic. Did have it dynoed before, was 158hp at wheels and 226 lb/ft.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Okay fellas, Today we ran a dyno test and I wanted to see the numbers with Stage 1. Sorry my scanner not working at the moment but i;ll type the info anyways.

First Dyno Run

Peak Torque 231.7 ft-lb
Peak Power 172.9 Hp @ 5950 RPM

Second Dyno Run

Peak Torque 245.9 ft-lb
Peak Power 178.7 @ 4950 RPM

My friend explained to me that that's about 220 hp at the crank, but i need to be certain how to calculate the ammout between the at wheels vs at crank??
you will usually lose about 12-15 percent through the drive train. Only way to really know is hook it up to an engine dyno. But the given norm is 12-15 percent loss

Where did you go to get the dyno done?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you will usually lose about 12-15 percent through the drive train. Only way to really know is hook it up to an engine dyno. But the given norm is 12-15 percent loss

I went to Racing Trenz on Evans Ave in Denver.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts

I went to Racing Trenz on Evans Ave in Denver.
Ahhhhh yes I know the place. I drive by there all the time when I go to visit my buddy at his work (Quicklane just down the street from Trenz). I used to go there when they were at the old place a little further down the road. I had a friend that had an eclipse GSX, and he would buy his parts from them. Every dealing I have had with them they have always seemed like good people. You down to go race down at Bandimere one of these Wednesdays for test and tune? Ill probably be going after I get back from Louisville KY. Im looking at probably May 12th.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahhhhh yes I know the place. I drive by there all the time when I go to visit my buddy at his work (Quicklane just down the street from Trenz). I used to go there when they were at the old place a little further down the road. I had a friend that had an eclipse GSX, and he would buy his parts from them. Every dealing I have had with them they have always seemed like good people. You down to go race down at Bandimere one of these Wednesdays for test and tune? Ill probably be going after I get back from Louisville KY. Im looking at probably May 12th.

Yeah they are nice folks who know what they are doing, I like dealing with folks like that, that's why I go to them,

I would love to go down to Bandimere to test the tunes, but my work schedule is overbearing Sunday-Thursday. Maybe one of these weekends we can get together and go for a drive, race one another and post the video on here for folks to see the difference, we should get all the saabers in Colorado this summer and go for a long cruise, imagine many of our saabs roaring down the streets/highways...can't wait.

·
Registered
158 Posts
JZW Stage 1

Well fellas (saabstory and 777), my ECU is on its way to JZW and I should know something by Thurs or Fri. Will definitely post and let you know the results. Thanks for you advice!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Well fellas (saabstory and 777), my ECU is on its way to JZW and I should know something by Thurs or Fri. Will definitely post and let you know the results. Thanks for you advice!
Congrats! Im sure you will love it. I know I have! Felt like a whole new car! I cant wait until I go down to KY to test it out at sea level! Or as close to sea level as I will probably ever have my car!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey man I'm glad u went through with it, come Thu-Friday you'll be like wow what a difference this thing makes. Like story said, a totally different car.

So after running about a week with this new tune at 245 ft.lb torque, the car just seems leaner for some reason, especially at low end. Maybe it's because we installed a MBC and lowered the boost, because the turbo seems to come earlier than usual. Where, when it was at 231 ft.lb with MBC just installed without doing anything to it, it ran like a charm and 1st and 2nd gears seemed more aggressive and turbo would kick in a little later. So all in all I think I'm gonna go back to where it was or just remove the damn thing. I was also thinking to raising the MBC to where it was, but not sure how many twist to turn it? Any thoughts guys?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey man I'm glad u went through with it, come Thu-Friday you'll be like wow what a difference this thing makes. Like story said, a totally different car.

So after running about a week with this new tune at 245 ft.lb torque, the car just seems leaner for some reason, especially at low end. Maybe it's because we installed a MBC and lowered the boost, because the turbo seems to come earlier than usual. Where, when it was at 231 ft.lb with MBC just installed without doing anything to it, it ran like a charm and 1st and 2nd gears seemed more aggressive and turbo would kick in a little later. So all in all I think I'm gonna go back to where it was or just remove the damn thing. I was also thinking to raising the MBC to where it was, but not sure how many twist to turn it? Any thoughts guys?
I removed the smbc from my car when I took out the ecu for tuning.....I wasnt aware that the smbc could be used in conjunction with the tune.? Either way, I too was very happy at first with the smbc, but I put an extra turn on it and the car adapted.? I talked to Jeff with smart performance and he said to remove it and allow the car to adapt without it, then reinstall it at the original settings. Hope this helps. Also, there is a guy on here "cjhutch" that mentioned setting it with a boost gauge and air compressor.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts

I took mine off after getting the tune, I did not like what I heard while I was running both together. Turbo sounded different, and i didnt feel any difference what so ever. And even after turning it up almost all the way my boost gauge never would read any higher than 16 lbs.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In my humble opinion I believe the MBC is useless unless we're running a bigger turbo, This morning I took the car for some pulls and for some reason it seemed to perform a little better than last few days, maybe because like you said the ECU is getting adapted to it. In May I'll be getting Mandrel, 3inch DP and 3inch Cat and then put it on a dyno and see how the car reacts, then we will get JZW Stage 3 and really tell the difference in torque numbers, I will post the numbers asap, but I think the real difference will be is when I go to Stage 3. From what I read the numbers don't lie and I want to see how the MT handles the next stage. Cheers

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ok, the ECU is installed after JZW tune and WOW!! What a difference this made, in fact, this is the way the car should have performed from the factory. I love to hear the turbo whine and cant get over how quick the car is now.....The bad thing is that I seem to run out of pavement to fast:)! Now onto painting the wheels and calipers.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haha I'm happy for you bro, now if you can get the car dyno'ed and show us the Torque/Hp numbers, it would be great. Plus you are at sea level so your numbers should be slightly higher. Congrats.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys, this forum is for everyone in the 9-3 SS/Combi/Convertible group who has done a tune/dyno on their cars and wants to upload their numbers for everyone to see what our saabs are capable of. Plus we can compare different tunes, torques capacities, and hp gain... Show us what you've got done?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts