SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Your car had a previous version of the PCV upgrade; your mechanic did not change your PCV system he left it the way it was and probably only change the box and the PCV valve. What did he charge you for the PCV upgrade? And which hoses were changed?

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
he did not do the job correctly

The filler tube neck needs to be changed

because the filler tube neck connects to those pipes that he did not install

And the check valve is supposed to be wrapped in an insulator around the water pipes that heat the throttle body to keep the temp constant while the engine is running.

If he charged you for a full PCV 6, you should take it back and tell him to finish the job. The instructions are included in the kit or if not they are around here somewhere.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He changed all the pipes and kit he was supplied with apart from the neck and the pipes in the picture I think because the previous pcv upgrade confused him

There were no instructions with the kit but I did supply some obtained from web

can I finish the job myself? id prefer to

n

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Since you paid this guy; let him finish the job the right way. Show him this because he needs it.

http://thesaabsite.com/95/Saab-95-Oil-Leak.pdf

he did not do the job correctly

The filler tube neck needs to be changed

because the filler tube neck connects to those pipes that he did not install

And the check valve is supposed to be wrapped in an insulator around the water pipes that heat the throttle body to keep the temp constant while the engine is running.

"PCV valve is also running to the wrong connection"

If he charged you for a full PCV 6, you should take it back and tell him to finish the job. The instructions are included in the kit or if not they are around here somewhere.
He changed all the pipes and kit he was supplied with apart from the neck and the pipes in the picture I think because the previous pcv upgrade confused him

There were no instructions with the kit but I did supply some obtained from web

can I finish the job myself? id prefer to

n

·
Registered
369 Posts
you can do it yourself as he's done the most fiddly bit with the oil trap. You just need to replace the filler necks and connect the pipes as per the instructions. As said make sure the coolant insulation is fitted to the pipes lying between the engine and the throttle body.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i had the wife take it back and I called them up, convinced them that I did know what I was talking about. Pipes now on, but check valve is not insulated, claims there was no insulation in the pack I gave him (which was unopened). Ill have to deal with that myself.

Arrows on new larger piping that has the T piece point away from turbo and toward rear of engine, that is correct?

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Pipes now on, but check valve is not insulated, claims there was no insulation in the pack I gave him (which was unopened). Ill have to deal with that myself.
The insulation is not all that important, you can either leave it off or source a replacement. I currently run my car without it as thats how I got it as did the previous owner. I believe its suppose to help prolong the life of the check valve, but for a 10-20 dollar part I wouldnt go overboard trying to insulate it and I'd just replace it if it ever goes bad.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes the old check valve had clearly 'baked' and become brittle and snapped. Ive moved the new one away from the engine for now, it may take years to become brittle again but I will try to find some insulation for it.

Interestingly the old one could have been broken for ages for all I know, it wasn't apparent it was snapped until I poked it. The car seems to drive no differently with the new one fitted.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
A tune up should help; but now you know your engine is breathing better.

YesThe car seems to drive no differently with the new one fitted.

Check out the link I posted.

Well
Arrows on new larger piping that has the T piece point away from turbo and toward rear of engine, that is correct?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well that diagram doesnt show the arrows but it seems it can only go on one way!

But then why would they bother with arrows?

Hmm

n

1 - 14 of 14 Posts