SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just put the PCV update in my 1999 9.5 wagon. The kit has a flat piece of foam with zip ties which I am finding impossible to get wedged in around the hoses. What does this do, and is it necessary?
On my model there is a metal tab coming off the injector rail which is exactly at the point of the new check valve. Even without that tab the fit would be very tight (I already tore a corner off the foam pad trying to pull it through). Any input on this issue would be appreciated.

the plastic pointer in the photo shows the metal tab off the injector rail and the hoses and check valve tightly bunched in behind / under it.

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
according to WIS the tube of should follow the lower water tube. I think that would result in passage between cylinders 3 and 4 and not 2 and 3.

It was a pain in the ... to fit the foam.
The idea of the foam is to heat the valve with the warm water from the water tube to prevent it from clogging in certain drive conditions. The oil water mixture could become very thick in cold conditions, e.g. colder ambient temperature or only short drives with cold engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First reply failed, so here goes another try.

Hose is routed between 3 and 4, so everything checks. In a post elsewhere in this forum the instructions don't show the tab mine has on the injection rail, so I might grind that off to open the area up. First I'll try disconnecting the newly installed hose, get the foam in, and then put the hose back on which will compress everything to the point of no movement. Not sure of the wisdom there for fear of driving vibrations chewing a hole through one of the hoses over time.

Thanks for the explanation of the foam purpose - to hold heat in. Now I'll at least make sure that the check valve is within the foam to ensure that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still can't get the foam in. Hoses are bunched too tightly. If anybody has a special technique they used that helped, please let me know.

·
Registered
419 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,279 Posts
sure, they invented this just to torture mechanics fighting to get the foam around the tubes.:cheesy:
To quote a 55 year Saab mechanic veteran "what is that little piece of foam going to do when it is -35 celsius and the car has been sitting outside for eight hours, absolutely nothing."

I'm sure the engineers had a purpose in mind, at the end of the day the car will function perfectly normally without the foam installed as have my 9-5's for almost twenty years. ;ol;

·
Registered
419 Posts
maybe he didn't get the idea of the foam isolation.
Purpose is to keep the valve in certain drive conditions above the temperature where water will freeze or oil water mixture becomes thicker.

Purpose for sure is not to help during cold start.
The engine will run fine without the foam until you hit these driving conditions, most probably you will hardly notice anything except some oil pressed out through the sealings and the oil dipstick. I just had this scenario on my car with this valve permanently clogged/stuck closed. The failure of the valve could not be traced, maybe it was just old or it was of poor quality (foam was not installed, but there must be no connection to the failure)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yes, but that one is for the system from MY 2004-...
It cannot be adopted to the older engines as the direct connection from the seperator to crankcase is missing in the old engine.
The new system does not have a valve in the tube leading to the cobra, the grey part in the line is only a flow restrictor.

·
Registered
419 Posts
yes, no foam because there is no valve to be heated.

In the end everybody can decide if the foam is needed for his driving situation with the old engines and the update kit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, the consensus seems to be "do what you want". The fact that there are already 6 updates to this problem indicate that nobody knows what the hell is going on. (Remember the pre-'68 days where a tube just vented directly overboard?). If the sole purpose of the foam is to trap heat from the other tubes, I don't really need it in central Florida right now. So, I'll just leave it alone until I move back to the snow states. Seems a reflective metal wrap would make more sense (and be easier to fit) for that purpose.

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
Yep, it's pretty much do what you want. :cheesy: I spent the time quite a few years ago to fit the foam on a friend's 2001 9-3. Neither my 2000 9-5 nor my 2001 9-5 have the foam. It fell apart on one of them, and the other didn't have it when I bought the car. I'm not particularly concerned about either one right now. If I ever catch up on all the other maintenance they need, maybe I'll find some foam and put it on, but I doubt I'll ever get there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts