SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hi Doug,

I know about all the software mods, but it's not that easy. Remapping an 250,000 mile engine is not wise, especially with stock internals and cooling.

If I am to improve my 9-5, I would go with poly bushings, sport engine and transmission mounts and metal brake lines. Being able to corner and have better handling seems like a better mod overall.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I would check the condition of the PCV hoses, if you pinch them and they feel mushy and stay stuck together in a pinched form when you release them then the rubber is breaking down and will cause sludge, if they are firm and bounce back from a pinch I'd just leave it as is.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I understand your reasoning, but isn't the number one advice if you have an engine that doesn't have the updated system, to get that update to prevent any sludge?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I understand your reasoning, but isn't the number one advice if you have an engine that doesn't have the updated system, to get that update to prevent any sludge?
I think you would have had engine failure a LONG time ago if you had sludge issues. Cars with sludge definitely don't make it to 250K!

But it's your call of course. If you wanna do PCV #6, go for it. We're all very opinionated on here. :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hi andybisnut,

I should give you more insight: after I got the 9-5, a weird whine started to appear when the car was cold, I suspected it was the sludge. Took it to a shop, to have the pan dropped and cleaned, they did that and also replaced all of the crank bearing, as they were worn. So clearly, the car at some point, had some issues with the oil. That's why I'm looking into the PCV update.

Side question. The car has some weird hissing noise, coming from the passage side of the engine, could that noise be generated by a worn idle pully?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Hi andybisnut,

Side question. The car has some weird hissing noise, coming from the passage side of the engine, could that noise be generated by a worn idle pully?
Hmm. A hiss to me usually means large-ish vacuum leak. Mine was hissing once and it was because I forgot to plug the brake booster hose back in. :roll:

But it could be anything. If it were me I'd check for air leaks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Then it's pretty much clear that I have to check the whole PCV system for leaks and bad hoses. A bad pully can also make that sound?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I don't think we got the 2.0 in the U.S. on the 9-5, but I definitely see other forum guys outside the U.S. with them. I wonder how it compares to the 2.3?
it drives with 35 less horses than the 2.3 just the lack of power you need to believe you're in a rocket :cheesy: specially when you accelerate for passing a new diesel HDI.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hi Paragon,

Yes I'd suggest checking whole PCV system well. And try your best to isolate the "hissing noise" - a mechanic's stethoscope might help, but be careful around the serpentine belt.

Another trick is to remove the belt and run the engine for just a half minute or less to see whether the noise is related to the belt, tensioner, alternator, AC compressor, or pulleys.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts