SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

It's been a while since I've posted here, but I'm still the proud owner of a 250,000 mile Saab 9-5.
I want to do the PCV Upgrade on my own, however, I am a bit confused as to what parts I require. The car and engine are a 2002, I don't think it has any update to the PCV system.

To my understanding, I need the PCV Update #6 that has the part number: 55561200. Do I need anything else?
I'm asking as I've seen plenty of kits named "PCV Update #6" that are either priced at around $50 and some that are priced at $80. Which one do I need?

Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

In the genuinesaab.com link, the 55561200 part number appears. However I've seen this PCV Update #6 kit with the part number 55554444, called "Complete kit", and looks like this:

This is why I'm confused about this kit.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hmm, that is weird. Looks like it additionally includes zip ties, crankcase breather hose, check valve, and another one I can't recognize. Not sure. I'm sure someone else has some better advice

·
Registered
442 Posts
If I had a 9-5 of your vintage and with 250,000 miles I would use this "complete kit". I would drop the oil pan first, and make sure it is clean and free from sludge. I would use the full kit because the "extra" parts have been exposed to heat and stress for 17 years and many miles. The difference in cost is small compared to cost to replace the engine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
If I had a 9-5 of your vintage and with 250,000 miles I would use this "complete kit". I would drop the oil pan first, and make sure it is clean and free from sludge. I would use the full kit because the "extra" parts have been exposed to heat and stress for 17 years and many miles. The difference in cost is small compared to cost to replace the engine.
The pan has already been dropped, the shop guys told me it had some sludge but not an exaggerated amount. Since then, I've driven the car perhaps, 400km. The oil used is GM 5W30.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What year is your car? I don't recognize the '2.0t sportcombi' as a 9-5
The "2.0t sportcombi" is also called the 2.0t ARC Wagon. It's just a standard 2002 Arc 9-5. the "sportcombi" is just some name used in Sweden if the car has some optional extras. Or at least this is how I understood it from the paperwork.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the petrol 9-5s came with both the 2.0 and the 2.3 engines. Depends on the version and the optional extras.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but if you've made it to 250,000 miles, and the pan has been recently dropped and is fairly clean, I'd just leave it alone....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi andybisnut,

That is true, if the engine survived 250,000 miles with the original PCV system, then it seems that it's a reliable and strong example. However, the shop advised me to have the updated PCV installed, given that they found the crank bearings to be worn when they took the oil pan out.

·
Registered
395 Posts
If you're on time with your oil changes you don't really need it. If $80 and dirty hands is worth the peace of mind then go for it. I would personally do it if you plan on investing more money in to the car in the future

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, in this case, I can ask you this. I don't drive the car that much, perhaps 1000km per year so far, when should I change my oil? To give you some perspective, the oil changed almost a year ago, with the oil sump drop is still clear and brand new.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Well, in this case, I can ask you this. I don't drive the car that much, perhaps 1000km per year so far, when should I change my oil? To give you some perspective, the oil changed almost a year ago, with the oil sump drop is still clear and brand new.
1000 km per year, wow that's low

I'd say once every 6 months, but probably once every year, provided that you drive it evenly (as in, once every two weeks, as opposed to letting it sit for 9 months and then doing 1000 km in the last 3 months)

For the record, the cars make their most sludge in stop-and-go city driving

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unfortunately, it mostly sits undriven for months, and then I drive it 500 km in two months, then sits again. It's not ideal, but it's what it is.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I see, most likely I will change the oil before Christmas. I saved this 9-5 from becoming either a scrap car or a parts car. I'll never sell it, but the current situation prevents me from driving it daily.
At least, it doesn't rust when sitting in it's parking spot.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's slower, mine only has 150BHP and uses the standard 5 speed manual transmission.
The 2.0 and the 2.3, or better called the B205 and the B235 are essentially the same engine, just the inner displacement and turbochargers used are different.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
8 Participants
Mariner
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing