SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the PCV update kit (part number listed in subject) and it all went okay except for the replacement of the connector interfacing to the cam and valve area. The connector (A) broke when trying to remove it, so part of the original plastic piece is stuck now. Short of removing the valve cover, does anyone have any ideas?

If I do have to remove the valve cover, I need to move the metal pipe routed along the bottom of the previous picture, and so I need to unscrew the hex nut (B) feeding into the air inlet. I don't have a hex socket big enough, so I tried using an adjustable wrench, but I think I might need a socket wrench or a longer handle.

I have the new grommet and plastic connector, so I just need to get out the old pieces without getting junk rattling around with the cams. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
That plastic fitting has a lip inside the grommet, but only on the top side. If you could find a picture of the new part, you'd understand what I mean.

It just pulls out, but you need to gently pry it up and toward the front of the car as you pull it out.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
That "gas" would be pressure built up inside the engine. That polluted, pressurized air is what the PCV system circulates to the intake to be burned.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
I would take a flat-bladed screw driver and try to leverage it out by applying downward pressure on the rubber and forward pressure on scredriver handle to get the bushing and remaining plastic bits out together. The worst case is removing the valve cover... Ron

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So initially, I pried as gently as I could, and the plastic connector broke. Also, I know what the plastic piece looks like, as I have the new one ready to go. Also, when I tried wedging a flathead screwdriver under the lip of the grommet to pry the connector out, it ended up ripping part of the grommet. I tried the other side, but it feels like it'll rip too. I'm thinking the only other thing to try will be to wait for a hot day when the rubber will be a little more pliable and try it one more time. If I have to remove the valve cover, the metal piping around the bottom of the picture will have to be removed in order to access one of the screws holding down the valve cover. Anyone know the size of that hex nut (labeled as (B))?

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Opps, you're right. It was a couple years ago when I changed it. Mine wouldn't even hold in the plastic nipple. It should come out with a good pair of needle nose pliers... Ron

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Done!!!

So, after much work, I finally got that rubber piece out. I ended up taking the valve cover off, (had to use an impact driver for an almost stripped screw) and was initially distraught at the splash guard that would keep me from simply pushing the broken plastic piece into the valve cover. I ended up pushing the plastic piece in, which then allowed me to pull the rubber grommet out, followed by the plastic piece, which now had a larger hole to come out of.

Also, that new plastic piece was SO difficult to get back in. I had to put the grommet half in, then shove the rubber grommet gently into the valve cover with the aide of a small screwdriver. Sheesh.

Ran the car last night for around half an hour driving home from my friend's place, and the car seems to run fine. Woohoo!

Well, that ends my PCV update kit odessey. What a journey.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts