SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
When they refer to breather hoses they are referring to the PCV system.

A small amount of oil around the throttle body could be signs of the o-ring around the top of the throttle body that seals the intake pipe being folded or pinched or missing or the clamp simply isn't tight enough..

While you are pinching hoses and snooping around wipe things down and make note of any spots that are worse than others to try to see where the oil is coming from.
Alright will check into those things. Thank you much :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks bob3000. Yes good tip, I'll check those things and all around the oil trap.
However, do symptoms sound like a PCV problem i.e. oil around the Throttle body and the intake pipe coming into the throttle body? Or could that be something else? The guy from Eeuroparts mentioned oil would be coming from the breather hoses, but I'm not sure where those are.
This is the inside of my oil separator... Down in the right corner is the inside of the connection for the PCV line with the check valve. It’s all clogged up. My engine had High positive crank pressure and meny oil leaks. Disturbing stuff...

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is the inside of my oil separator... Down in the right corner is the inside of the connection for the PCV line with the check valve. It’s all clogged up. My engine had High positive crank pressure and many oil leaks. Disturbing stuff...
Wow looks pretty bad if it was full of all that gunk. How did you resolve the problem? Just clean it out or replace it and the hoses and valves too? How did you check the positive crankcase pressure?

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Time to drop the sump/oil pan, not a terrible job...not a fun job but I'd imagine it will feel rewarding in your situation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow looks pretty bad if it was full of all that gunk. How did you resolve the problem? Just clean it out or replace it and the hoses and valves too? How did you check the positive crankcase pressure?
I'm in the process of changing the whole pcv system. I also changed out the vacuum hoses with silicone ones. The positive pressure is easy to test by wrapping a rubber glove around the oil-filler neck and check for the balloon effect. I did a compression test to check if i had excessive blow-by, and that looked ok.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Do you see a connection between the part where the blowby from the crankcase enters the oiltrap (lower left part) and the part where the tube for oil reflow to the oilpan (upper left part) is connected?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you see a connection between the part where the blowby from the crankcase enters the oiltrap (lower left part) and the part where the tube for oil reflow to the oilpan (upper left part) is connected?

Nope, no connection. With the pcv clogged, my crank pressure returned through the oil return hose. When i unplugged the lower hose from the engine and blocked off the hose, oil would shoot out from the oil return nipple!

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is what I found with pics of oil in various places.
1. I did the glove test over the oil filler, and it blew up like a balloon when starting the car but then collapsed after a couple of secs - no blow by - does that mean I do not have excessive crankcase pressure?
2. The PCV hose from oil trap to valve cover looks good, no residue inside
3. The PCV valve (that sits almost in the center just behind the valve cover, and the one that always breaks!!) is of course broken but I have taped it together for now. I had replaced this whole hose with valve which goes from the oil trap to the throttle body. I know the valve is broken but I don't think that is causing all this oil.
4. As you can see a lot of oil all round the throttle body(see pics), intake manifold on the top and and also from bottom(see pic), seems like it poured from top to the bottom. That oil is also dropping further down to the oil pan, exhaust etc. and causing burning oil smells. I did lose a lot of oil and once I had a big puddle underneath and a lot of burning oil from the hot engine. The leak is not as bad now, but maybe because I haven't topped of the oil to normal. The oil is low but still registers on the dipstick and oil light is not coming on. My guess is if I top it of again, I might have this huge oil puddle, I am not sure??
5. I lifted the big plastic intake pipe that connects to the throttle body, and the O ring on the throttle body was really flat so I don't think it is providing a good seal. But can that cause so much oil to be pushed out? Should there be so much oil coming back from the intake pipe?
5. I lifted the PCV hose that connects to the cobra and I see some oil in there.
6. From underneath - there is oil underneath the turbo as well(see pic) - where could this be from?
7. I didn't undo the Oil trap but that looked pretty clean from the outside
8. I had replaced o rings in the dip stick tube and there is no oil coming from there or other hoses from oil trap
9. Some more background: I have recently changed head gasket and one piston and changed all piston rings, had dropped the oil pan to do the piston - no gunk in the oil pan, really clean. I had some sweating around the throttle body before doing this work, but after doing this work oil problem has become quite big and I am wondering if I didn't put something back right. There shouldn't be blow back from the engine because of the new rings I am guessing!!
Anyway a lot of info here - maybe someone can shed some light on what might be going on?
Thank you so much!!

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
do you have PCV kit #6 installed?
anyway, check all check valves (2 big ones, 1 small one, which seems to broken on your engine), on mine one was clogged causing excessive oil leakage.
As it was the cheap PCV kit, not original Saab, it lasted only < 70.000 miles.
On the cobra, there is an O ring. Your one seems to be old, you can see oil on the clamp of the cobra, dripping to the bottom of the turbo.
Under the throttle body there is also a sealing which ages and creates oil leakage. But normally there shouldn´t be that much oil in the air entering the throttle body. --> check turbocharger for axial play.
The o ring on top of the throttle body should be replaced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is what I found with pics of oil in various places.
1. I did the glove test over the oil filler, and it blew up like a balloon when starting the car but then collapsed after a couple of secs - no blow by - does that mean I do not have excessive crankcase pressure?
2. The PCV hose from oil trap to valve cover looks good, no residue inside
3. The PCV valve (that sits almost in the center just behind the valve cover, and the one that always breaks!!) is of course broken but I have taped it together for now. I had replaced this whole hose with valve which goes from the oil trap to the throttle body. I know the valve is broken but I don't think that is causing all this oil.
4. As you can see a lot of oil all round the throttle body(see pics), intake manifold on the top and and also from bottom(see pic), seems like it poured from top to the bottom. That oil is also dropping further down to the oil pan, exhaust etc. and causing burning oil smells. I did lose a lot of oil and once I had a big puddle underneath and a lot of burning oil from the hot engine. The leak is not as bad now, but maybe because I haven't topped of the oil to normal. The oil is low but still registers on the dipstick and oil light is not coming on. My guess is if I top it of again, I might have this huge oil puddle, I am not sure??
5. I lifted the big plastic intake pipe that connects to the throttle body, and the O ring on the throttle body was really flat so I don't think it is providing a good seal. But can that cause so much oil to be pushed out? Should there be so much oil coming back from the intake pipe?
5. I lifted the PCV hose that connects to the cobra and I see some oil in there.
6. From underneath - there is oil underneath the turbo as well(see pic) - where could this be from?
7. I didn't undo the Oil trap but that looked pretty clean from the outside
8. I had replaced o rings in the dip stick tube and there is no oil coming from there or other hoses from oil trap
9. Some more background: I have recently changed head gasket and one piston and changed all piston rings, had dropped the oil pan to do the piston - no gunk in the oil pan, really clean. I had some sweating around the throttle body before doing this work, but after doing this work oil problem has become quite big and I am wondering if I didn't put something back right. There shouldn't be blow back from the engine because of the new rings I am guessing!!
Anyway a lot of info here - maybe someone can shed some light on what might be going on?
Thank you so much!!
If you have a puddle of oil i would look at some engine seal issues. That amount of oil would not come from the throttlebody. Try cleaning the engine with degreaser and check for leaks when it's clean. You will find it eventually.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Thaistatos, thanks for the info.
My Saab has the newer PCV so doesn't need an update, but I don't know if I need to replace all the PCV components anyway since it has 150K miles on it? I have the kit in my cart with Eeuroparts but haven't ordered it yet as I am not sure I need all of those and want to figure what the problem might be, causing all is this oil to travel up the intake pipe.
So from what I understand there 2 valves and 4 hoses for the PCV. One from Oil trap to the Throttle body which a has a check valve (and is broken on mine and i'll be replacing for sure). One hose from the Oil trap to the valve cover(no valve - soft hose). One from the Oil trap to the Cobra which has a valve (restrictive rather than one way I believe). And there is one hose(soft hose) that goes from the oil trap down to oil pan. The hoses look good to me. Not sure how to check the valves without just replacing them...how would I do that? Could a gunked up oil trap cause this??
Yes - definitely will be replacing the upper O ring on the Throttle body - but my primary concern is why is there so much oil coming from that intake pipe into the throttle body area in the first place?
Thanks for pointing out the turbo O ring, I'll check that out. I was starting to wonder when I saw the oil under the turbo if it was going bad and that could cause so much oil to be pushed up the intake pipe? But if it is just the O ring for the leak there, that would be a relief!! And I'll check the play on the turbo - what exactly do you mean when you say axial play?
Thanks once again!

·
Registered
148 Posts
turbocharger: try to push and pull the shaft from left to right (axial direction), not up and down (radial direction). In axial direction limit is 0.036-0.091mm, which is hardly noticeable by hand. If you can move the shaft in axial direction it indicates a worn turbocharger which might inflict higher oil consumption.
the new system only has this single check valve, the other line to the cobra is a flow restrictor to reduce/control the gasflow, there is nothing to check.
looking at #22: you could try to blow air to the tube which normally connects to the throttlebody. When there is no restriction this air should exit the engine by the valve cover if you remove the plug there. (But I have not tested this one).
On the throttle body there are two o rings, one at the top sealing the black pipe, one at the bottom between throttle body and intake manifold. Both should be replaced. This will hopefully keep the oil inside the throttlebody, so you do not see that you could have (high) oil consumption.;)
--> replace two o rings at throttle
--> replace cobra o ring
--> replace broken check valve
--> check oil trap to exclude clogged oil trap like #22
--> clean engine and check again
--> be careful when reinstalling the black pipe to the throttle body, it has to be pushed down a little bit unil it plops and fits correctly, then install the clamp

·
Registered
10 Posts
turbocharger: try to push and pull the shaft from left to right (axial direction), not up and down (radial direction). In axial direction limit is 0.036-0.091mm, which is hardly noticeable by hand. If you can move the shaft in axial direction it indicates a worn turbocharger which might inflict higher oil consumption.
the new system only has this single check valve, the other line to the cobra is a flow restrictor to reduce/control the gasflow, there is nothing to check.
looking at #22: you could try to blow air to the tube which normally connects to the throttlebody. When there is no restriction this air should exit the engine by the valve cover if you remove the plug there. (But I have not tested this one).
On the throttle body there are two o rings, one at the top sealing the black pipe, one at the bottom between throttle body and intake manifold. Both should be replaced. This will hopefully keep the oil inside the throttlebody, so you do not see that you could have (high) oil consumption.;)
--> replace two o rings at throttle
--> replace cobra o ring
--> replace broken check valve
--> check oil trap to exclude clogged oil trap like #22
--> clean engine and check again
--> be careful when reinstalling the black pipe to the throttle body, it has to be pushed down a little bit unil it plops and fits correctly, then install the clamp
Ok wonderful thanks Thaistatos. I appreciate it!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you have a puddle of oil i would look at some engine seal issues. That amount of oil would not come from the throttlebody. Try cleaning the engine with degreaser and check for leaks when it's clean. You will find it eventually.
Thanks. yes I need to clean it up and see. I don't think its the seals though where it is coming from.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts