SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I discovered my oil trap is leaking at the block, I've been doing a fare bit of research on the PCV system. From what I've been reading, The PCV system on our Saabs is very similar to the ones on most Volvos, except the one on the Volvo requires routine maintenance because it becomes clogged so frequently. One source stated that PCV system overhauls, caused specifically from clogged passageways from the oil separator/trap into the engine block, are the most common maintenance items for modern Volvos. Our Saab 9-5's have a very similar system, yet I haven't came across anything regarding the system getting clogged and needing servicing. (Yes I know the early 9-5's suffered from engine failure due to faulty PCV systems, but I'm not discussing the system design flaws, rather maintenance of breather systems that don't have inherent flaws like the 99-03 models).

Here is a video of the clogged oil trap from a Volvo that looks very similar to the ones in our vehicles.

Basically I'm wondering should our oil traps be taken off and cleaned or replaced?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I intend to do mine as I have an oil leak around that area so have to go for it.

Do you know if the box can be cleaned or does it have to be replaced?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Replaced. I have a proparts one I got for 30$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did mine today (it was unplanned) but I was attempting some correction of my alternator main cable connection. It has been bugging me as I am losing voltage and it snaked around in a very odd way. It was near impossible to remove the cable connection nut for some reason. It was caked in what looked like solder and was very hard. i had to pry/cut away this crap to get a hold on the nut, which was not tight on.

Anyway ended up removing the lower oil box pipe that goes to the sump and the inlet manifold support bracket as well as the dip sick pipe (which had both lower and upper O ring that were next to useless and hard - so replaced these).

With that all gone I could see oil seepage from the box lower connection pipe where it returns into the engine block. So I decide to go for a full removal. What I found was that the outside PC pipes that connect to the top of the oil capture box were in place but not locked on properly. This was great to aid removal (as I only had one central pipe to remove/un-clip, which was not easy) but it was not good news as it has been like this for sometime.

Now the real issue is that once the box is removed it will not come out from the bottom as there insufficient clearance because of subframe, steering rack and exhaust pipe ( I think if I dropped the exhaust it would be possible to get it out here - but was not interested in potentially giving myself extra exhaust bolt issues). So you can only get this oil capture box out by removing the alternator and or the inlet manifold (also not in my plans today).

What is good is that you can spin it round and inspect it from every position from under the car. Great news for me, no oil/sludge/residue anywhere. Very clean.

The issue was that the O ring that fits around the return pipe that goes back into the block was hard and not working. So fitted a new O ring and replaced everything.

Oh yes and fixed my alternator cable which was totally gummed up, not properly connected and locked in place with melted rubber and a very hard dark brown residue. So I think had been over heating either from arcing/bad connection and being trapped on to the engine block behind the exhaust support bracket and the oil/sump pipe and the dip stick pipe. Crazy I know.

·
Registered
9,281 Posts
Pre-2004 cars with PCV update #6 just have a box that bolts to the back of the block and drains back to the oil pan with a separate hose. They don't have a fitting that drains into the block. They shouldn't have the same leaking issues, and fortunately they don't seem to clog up. I'd be curious to know what exactly is in one of those boxes. It may just be empty, for all I know.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pre-2004 cars with PCV update #6 just have a box that bolts to the back of the block and drains back to the oil pan with a separate hose. They don't have a fitting that drains into the block. They shouldn't have the same leaking issues, and fortunately they don't seem to clog up. I'd be curious to know what exactly is in one of those boxes. It may just be empty, for all I know.
Here is one from a volvo:

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
401 Posts
Jeremy, mine is 2006 and there was nothing liquid or anything else residuey for that matter in the box. I spun it every way and nothing drained and nothing came out. I inserted a clean cloth into the holes and twisted it, sure there was evidence of oil and some dark/carbon deposit but really nothing much.

It would be good to crack open an old one open and see, I agree.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to hear Davsaab, I'm glad yours was clean. How many miles on your car? Based of your findings, and the fact there's been very little information about our cars having clogged PCV system, I feel better knowing my crank case is being vented properly and won't blow any seals.

Here are some WIS screenshots concerning the PCV system:

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
401 Posts
Good to hear Davsaab, I'm glad yours was clean. How many miles on your car? Based of your findings, and the fact there's been very little information about our cars having clogged PCV system, I feel better knowing my crank case is being vented properly and won't blow any seals.

Here are some WIS screenshots concerning the PCV system:

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]
Cdn mine has 138K miles on the clock.

The lower oil collection box O ring was hard as hell and was clearly leaking oil from there.

The dipstick pipe (upper and lower) O rings were also hard and it looked as oil was leaking from the lower one (but this could have been oil leaking from the oil box; running down to the lower dipstick joint area) but it was good to replace them.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cdn no I don't. I am getting photo bucket to open when I click on the picture that you post but it just hangs there. Spinning; no picture ever comes.
Don't know what the issue is, the pictures show up for me in chrome and safari whether I'm logged in or not. I wonder if they can be seen by others?

Can you see pictures on the forum posted by others?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Don't know what the issue is, the pictures show up for me in chrome and safari whether I'm logged in or not. I wonder if they can be seen by others?

Can you see pictures on the forum posted by others?
Yes it is only photobucket. I even tried to use the http: address and it wont find or open

·
Registered
401 Posts
Cdn mine has 138K miles on the clock.

The lower oil collection box O ring was hard as hell and was clearly leaking oil from there.

The dipstick pipe (upper and lower) O rings were also hard and it looked as oil was leaking from the lower one (but this could have been oil leaking from the oil box; running down to the lower dipstick joint area) but it was good to replace them.
Thanks Cdn. I received the files via message system and they opened fine. Very strange.

Great reading thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For those with photo bucket issues not showing the pictures.
I guess this is an old thread, but hopefully can still get some answers.
I was seeing oil around my throttle body and the intake pipe that come into the throttle body. In speaking with Eeuroparts about something else I asked the guy, and he said the PCV components need to be replaced and the oil is coming there, through the breather hoses, because it is clogged up. He seemed very certain about it. And they sell a kit with the hoses and the oil trap. I told him mine is not the old PCV which needed to be updated, and his response was after 15 years there is going to be a lot of gunk in all those components, and his advice was to replace everything. I wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced this? And even if I need to replace the components is it necessary to replace everything...The kit is about $90 and the oil trap alone is about $25. Would appreciate your feedback. BTW mine is 2004 9-5 with 153K on it. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I'd suggest you open the hood of your car and squeeze the larger hoses related to the PCV system, if they bounce back firmly then your hoses are probably in decent condition, if they stay squeezed or feel spongy then they are likely breaking down inside.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd suggest you open the hood of your car and squeeze the larger hoses related to the PCV system, if they bounce back firmly then your hoses are probably in decent condition, if they stay squeezed or feel spongy then they are likely breaking down inside.
Thanks bob3000. Yes good tip, I'll check those things and all around the oil trap.
However, do symptoms sound like a PCV problem i.e. oil around the Throttle body and the intake pipe coming into the throttle body? Or could that be something else? The guy from Eeuroparts mentioned oil would be coming from the breather hoses, but I'm not sure where those are.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
When they refer to breather hoses they are referring to the PCV system.

A small amount of oil around the throttle body could be signs of the o-ring around the top of the throttle body that seals the intake pipe being folded or pinched or missing or the clamp simply isn't tight enough..

While you are pinching hoses and snooping around wipe things down and make note of any spots that are worse than others to try to see where the oil is coming from.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts